PDA

View Full Version : USA Electronic System for Travel Authorization ESTA

Basil
2nd Sep 2008, 12:47
This scheme is live at:
https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/esta.html?_flowExecutionKey=_c71CC33A4-AD98-5983-4D2B-30EF5D74B5C1_kC926D177-5803-9827-53F5-6F8C3266204C

and states:
International travelers who are seeking to travel to the United States under the Visa Waiver Program are now subject to enhanced security requirements. All eligible travelers who wish to travel under the Visa Waiver Program must apply for authorization using the following process:

I'd initially understood that, if an ESTA was granted, it was no longer necessary to fill in the green I-94W immigration form for entry however, this was required on 21 Aug inbound at JFK.
Any US Immigration Officer Pruner who can advise?

Just found the answer at:
Frequently Asked Questions About ESTA - CBP.gov (http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/id_visa/esta/esta_faq.xml)

On Aug. 1, 2008, DHS will begin to accept voluntary ESTA applications through the ESTA Web site . .
. . ESTA becoming mandatory for all VWP travelers on Jan. 12, 2009

Q: If a VWP traveler has received ESTA approval, does he or she also need to fill out an I-94W?
A: The implementation of the ESTA program will allow DHS to eventually eliminate the requirement that VWP travelers complete an I-94W prior to being admitted to the United States. After Jan. 12, 2009, a VWP traveler with a valid ESTA will not be required to complete the paper Form I-94W when arriving on a carrier that is capable of receiving and validating messages pertaining to the traveler’s ESTA status as part of the traveler’s boarding status. Travelers on carriers without this capability will still be required to complete the paper Form I-94W. Until ESTA is mandatory, however, all VWP travelers applying for admission at a U.S. port of entry, including those VWP travelers who possess a voluntary ESTA approval, must still present the Form I-94W to U.S. Customs and Border Protection.

Mods, this may be of interest on Pax & SLF &/or Airlines, Airports

DCS99
2nd Sep 2008, 20:58
I love the English sense of sarcasm:

Quote:
"Any US Immigration Officer Pruner who can advise?"
Unquote

The website is slow, let's hope a tad more bandwith is available before this becomes mandatory next year.

raffele
2nd Sep 2008, 21:44
Not a US BCP officer but I understand how the ESTA works.

Basically, between now and mid January, the ESTA (which is basically the same as Australia's electronic visa) is an option. Basically they're wanting people to get used to the system. However, the I-94W form is still compulsory until the January deadline. Not sticking all their eggs in one basket sort of thing.

You are encouraged to start using ESTA now as it will help you get familiarised with the system, it will alert you to potential problems before you board the plane etc.

llondel
3rd Sep 2008, 02:23
All your details are belong to us...

I'm just looking forward to when the EU manages to put in place a similar system and require all US citizens to use it. It was fun when Brazil started fingerprinting... (Not that I think the EU is capable of successfully organising anything on that scale.)