PDA

View Full Version : These Afghanistan books...

Duckandcover
2nd Sep 2008, 09:06
The publishers can't get them out fast enough can they?

James Fergusson's "A Million Bullets", apparently about British Forces in Afghanistan has a picture of US troops disembarking from a Chinook. I assume the Wokka is British.

"3 Commando Brigade" features a lovely front cover which includes an Apache in its lesser known wheels-up/wheels completely missing configuration.

:ugh:

sprucemoose
2nd Sep 2008, 11:28
Happy to say there's a good one coming out tomorrow that (on the strength of the first 73 pages at least) is well worth the time/money.

Cdr Ade Orchard, CO of 800 NAS, has written 'Joint Force Harrier', which the blurb claims to be the first book written by a serving UK fast jet pilot since the first Gulf War.

All of his earnings from the book will be donated to charity and, I believe, the RN historic flight, so worth digging deep!

Joint Force Harrier - Penguin Books (http://www.penguin.co.uk/nf/Book/BookDisplay/0,,9780718153991,00.html)

diginagain
2nd Sep 2008, 11:34
Duckandcover, they're only dust-jackets, designed to make the book stand out a bit. If it makes you feel better, when you put your copy on your shelf, take the dust-jacket off.:ok:

Those who know the difference shouldn't be surprised, those who don't won't notice.

Duckandcover
2nd Sep 2008, 18:47
The Roll-eyes signifyng there being more important things in the world?

Just grates on me that an author can spend ages penning a work only to have some knobjockey mess up the cover. Damn sure there's a cliche about that somewhere. It tells you something both about author and designer but as said above, the good public are unlikely to notice.

brickhistory
2nd Sep 2008, 19:03
It tells you something both about author and designer

What does it say about the author?

In my own (very modest) efforts, I've had zero control after turning in the final draft. It's in most contracts that way as well (unless one is very high-powered = big sales record which I, thus far, have not).

The author provides the 'ore,' if you will, the publisher provides the 'polish' to the final turd or diamond including the marketing (to include the cover), publicity, and distribution.

They likewise put up the money for all the above, so they hopefully have put some research into 'what sells' regarding a cover regardless of cringe-worthiness.

XV277
2nd Sep 2008, 21:29
Ewen Southby-Taylor's Falklands book was quite good.

Duckandcover
3rd Sep 2008, 08:14
brickhistory

Do you see the cover then before it is published?

TiffyFGR4
3rd Sep 2008, 14:49
sprucemoose, I bought that today, 'Joint Force Harrier', I've only read a little bit & it's quite interesting, well very interesting, looking forward to reading it properly. =)

I bought it from WHSmith for £14.99, (£2 off :rolleyes:), but it's a bit messed up because my lovely girlfriend put it in her Korn hand-bag for me & it got covered in her gothic make-up she keeps stashed in there, so.........Well it's still readable that's the main thing. Giggles*

If anyone else has this book, happy reading, I'm sure it's going to be a good one. =)

brickhistory
3rd Sep 2008, 17:05
duckandcover, yes, I was allowed to see it.

I had no input if I hadn't liked it nor having signed a contract granting them the rights, I could do nothing about it if I hadn't liked it.

I'm sure more commercially viable authors have more control, but, in my case as a peon, not so much.

It turned out ok. A painting of US Beaufighters being worked on by groundcrew while another comes in for landing with the squadron patch at the top and a gunsight reticle at the bottom superimposed over the edges of the painting.

FB11
3rd Sep 2008, 20:15
My experience with Joint Force Harrier was all positive and interactive; I was consulted on every aspect of the book (text, pictures, cover etc.)

TiffyFGR4 - based on your user name, sorry in advance about the '3 seconds late' at the 3(F) handover; light hearted banter of course. (I'm sure it was a GPS timer dropout.) Hope you enjoy it, makeup and all.

Pure Pursuit
3rd Sep 2008, 20:30
3 seconds late and at the wrong side of the airfield per chance!?;)

I've got Ed Macy's Apache and a copy of JFH arriving tmrw. Looking forward to them both after finishing Apache Dawn.

Particularly looking forward to JFH after popping over to KAF to meet them whilst out at Hotel Bastion. Great blokes doing a top job without a gun!

johnmarkcunningham
4th Sep 2008, 17:24
" Joint Force Harrier " -----£10 in Tesco, and worth every penny!

EyesFront
8th Sep 2008, 10:11
The 'Ed Macy' book was half-price (£9.49) in WH Smith last week, and Apache Dawn and JHF are each selling for £10 each in Tescos. I've just finished the Ed Macy book and it's a real page turner. The other two books are next to my bed, so I could be in for some late nights!

airborne_artist
8th Sep 2008, 10:13
Just ordered both from the library - 85p each reservation fee :}

Simmbob
8th Sep 2008, 10:54
I've just finished reading 'Apache Dawn' and a damned good read it is too.

What doe's concern me is when back in the U.K. Our heroes, and I say heroes in the true sense of the word, have the impression that the public don't care what our service men and women are doing in Afghanistan and Iraq.

If any of them are reading this, Me and my family are just a few of many Civies that do care.

Stay Safe.

Simmbob

c130jbloke
8th Sep 2008, 11:06
Currently at P216 of "million bullets" and it's a good read with an interestering analysis of the political preparation ( ie **** all of any worth ) leading up to HERRICK. Haiving just read the Chinook ops chapter, max respect to all at ODI too.

Shame on HMG for cocking up this op before it had even begun !!!

And pprune gets a quote in the book too :eek::eek:

minigundiplomat
8th Sep 2008, 14:11
Just writing mine as we speak. Some of the profits will go towards buying AIDU a book on witty banter. Seems like a good cause, or is it lost cause?