PDA

View Full Version : Work experience suggestions -

Tuckerr
1st Sep 2008, 20:17
Hello there,

I must first start of by apologizing if I have posted this in the wrong forum section but I felt personally it was the best place for it reading the forum descriptions, but please obviously move if it is placed incorrectly :)

I would just like to ask for some information regarding work experience for people like myself. I am still young and am certainly looking for a career in aviation, preferably Airline Pilot. With work experience coming around the corner (a year or so) I would just like to find out some information regarding the options I have to choose from. If anybody could provide me with info based on what 'jobs' are available etc it would be fantastic and a great help to myself :)

Thank you very much to all help given which will certainly be a great benefit to myself.

Regards.

aviatordom
2nd Sep 2008, 07:53
It may be an idea to apply to your nearest airport (LGW?), where you'll probably end up following different people each day at a different bit of the airport. for example security one day, ATC the next, etc.....

That all depends on their security regulations though, if your nearest is LGW then BAA might not offer work experience!

But i reccomend applying to an airline based at the airport or even an airline that has a maintenance hangar or an engineering company at the airport. It would be interesting to see how one of the big carriers is run/structured or helping with the maintenance of their aircraft.

I've applied for work experience at a place near me called "ATC Lasham" who do overhauls, refits, maintenance, safety checks, etc... for many big operators. From what i have gathered so far, i will be right up-close to the aircraft and most likely assisting an engineer!

Tuckerr
2nd Sep 2008, 11:02
aviatordom thank you very much for that. I was certainly thinking of applying at Gatwick as yes it is my 'local' airport but as you say security seem to be a problem. I have been in contact with a person who works at Heathrow as a checker and he says that I can apply for work experience with him and do things such as airfield checking, taxiway inspections etc but again, I am wondering just will they let me out with him on the airfield? But obviously speaking to a person who works for BAA such as himself it seems it is possible, but I can only inquire to see if this is actually true which I obviously will do.

Many thanks your your post again :)

Rainboe
2nd Sep 2008, 11:25
Tuckerr, I'm sorry to inject a note of realism, but as someone who has actually worked from UK airports for nearly 38 years, it is not so easy. The situation is that cabin crew are recruited and unable to get an ID card for weeks after their training because of the convoluted process of even getting an ID card! You first have to get a certificate from Disclosure Scotland certifying that you have not got a paedophile or criminal record. THEN you have to apply via an employers' sponsored application for a specific location and job. It takes time, and as far as I am aware, is not open for simple work experience airside. Places available may be at Lasham or non-rigid security areas, but I think there is no chance at major passenger airports. We can't even get type training pilots on 'look-see' trips unless it's via a passenger boarding card to get airside.

As always, people who don't know answer first on pprune! Great ideas, but not actually achievable.

Romeo India Xray
2nd Sep 2008, 11:52
I seem to remember seeing some work experience people from other parts of Europe working here at RIX over the summer. There might be a possibility of getting a placement in a country where security is a realistic entity instead of a money spinner. I am unsure of how you would get by if you are under 18 though, might requrie a parent or guardian to take a break to be there when you are not working. At the end of the day it will come down to:

Local "security" regulations
Parent willingness
Money (hotels, meals etc)

If you can get a thumbs up to all three of those then you might just be in with a chance, but be prepared that it may only be a very slim chance!

Other than that, why don't you apply to a General Aviation airfield. If you are going to be an airline pilot you will have to start off on these aircraft, and it would be a good basic education for you. At the GA airfield where i started out, we regularly had work experice students at work in the maintenance hangar, it was just a drawback that we couldn't pay them as mostly they really earned their keep!

RIX

Tuckerr
2nd Sep 2008, 11:59
Both Rainboe and RIX thank you very much for your information. I understand it is going to be a struggle to get into larger places as you suggested because of security etc, but I think I shall try with the guy I am in contact with who works for BAA. I guess it is worth a shot, the worst that can happen is I just get a 'no' from them.

Regarding the second option you stated working at a smaller airfield I was also thinking about this option working at my local where I also fly so may benefit in that area aswell which would be fantastic.

Thank you all once again for your responces :ok:

angels
2nd Sep 2008, 12:39
Don't know where you are in Sussex, but how about Shoreham?

As you rightly say about the larger airports, if you don't ask you won't get.

Tuckerr
2nd Sep 2008, 12:58
Angels, yes, I am around 40-50minutes away from Shoreham. I was thinking about Goodwood as this is slightly closer and I fly there as I say so that may be more of a possibility for myself.

HeathrowAirport
4th Sep 2008, 11:40
James,

Try NATS Swanwick as i also said to you on MSN. I almost got a placement there but told me applications ended December time for your year Group 10.

NATS careers (http://natscareers.co.uk/Contact.asp)

I seriously would not bother with Heathrow and BAA as i had huge problems with them, not worth the 4 months and a waste of time and they Say NO because of Duty Free stuff like Alchol and then another excuse Security pass was needed that takes 6 months according to them what is more appropriate than because there is Alcohol on the Airport site and underage stuff.

Tell them your looking for work experience at Swanwick and your very interested in becoming a pilot and make sure you read it over before you send to them.

Also Heathrow Tower and Gatwick Tower are both Airside and the likely chance of anyone not working there getting there hands on the Door handle are remote.

Regards,

Robbie