PDA

View Full Version : Examiners-One Out One In?

MrAverage
1st Sep 2008, 15:10
Does anyone know of a way round the problem of having to wait for one of the local examiners to give up, or worse die, before someone new can do the course? I've been instructing for 9 years wondering if I'll ever get the chance. I've already got my bus pass for heaven's sake!

READY MESSAGE
1st Sep 2008, 15:45
If you don't have a FE within your organisation tell the CAA you are at a 'commercial disadvantage' as you are forced to bring in (and pay for) an external examiner.

Aztec Driver
1st Sep 2008, 17:33
Come to Blackpool, Pat Lander dishes them out willy nilly, 9 Examiners on one Airport,
Even after his own Notac, total disregard for the already over populated Examiners
A law un to themselves, it is about time the industry stood up to these pen pushing morons :ugh:

PA28pilot
1st Sep 2008, 19:14
The authority addressed the point of new examiner applications in a recent TrainingCom : http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/TrainingCom%201-2008.pdf

...although it may seem advantageous for schools and clubs to have designated examiner on staff, it should not be necessary.

READY MESSAGE's argument about being at a commercial disadvantage is an interesting one. If you are in the position of not having an examiner on staff at present, it could be worth a try.

Good luck!

Whopity
1st Sep 2008, 20:06
Pre JAA Examiner appointments were in house but post JAR the emphasis has been on examiners being independent of schools which rather blows the concept of commercial disadvantage.

The way forward is to record every time you need an examiner; list the examiners you request to do a test, note their availability and establish a case for a new examiner based on actual requirements, then present this to the CAA.

BigEndBob
2nd Sep 2008, 07:20
Services of an examiner are mainly required for revalidations and renewals where a flight test is required. I might do one skill test for every 10 renewal.
This could put you at a commercial disadvantage.

Perhaps the CAA could introduce a system where experienced instructors can initially do renewals then later upgrade to full examiner.

BEagle
2nd Sep 2008, 09:11
Why?

If the CAA would only produce an up-to-date Examiner database, it would be much easier to contact current examiners if one is needed.

MrAverage
2nd Sep 2008, 10:56
AztecDriver
Are you saying he can train, test and issue an FE authority without agreement from the CAA?

Aztec Driver
2nd Sep 2008, 11:37
Pat Lander is the Chief Flight Examiner employed by the CAA, it was his own notac issued advising the appointment to new Examiners, he broke his own ruleing without consultation to the industry, or Examiners already at Blackpool
Now we have 9 Examiners for 3 Schools, I won't count Blackpool Air Center as one :confused: