PDA

View Full Version : Anyone having Cabair assessment in Sept?

Balticsea
31st Aug 2008, 13:05
Hello!
I've booked Cabair assessment on the 25th September, anyone here coming on the same day or otherwise waiting for their assessment? :)
I'm feeling quite ok with the maths & physics, but quite nervous about pilapt, which I feel one cannot really prepare for :uhoh:

markp123
31st Aug 2008, 17:18
I'm sure you'll do fine on it. Most of the sections your right and probably cant prepare for, but my only advice is if you aren't too good at mental arithmetic....revise a little! theres a section on that on the pilapt test..and i really struggled with it. It gives you chance before the section starts to go get a pencil and paper if you want...and i'd reccomend you do! lol. :ok:

Flightless Falcon
8th Sep 2008, 08:49
theres no mental arithmitic on the Pilapt test... Its all hand eye coordination material... All you will have is a joystick and a small keyboard...

You wnt have time to be writing down numbers thats for sure... Why do you think they give you a maths test for separatly...

1st - A crosshair which you must keep in the middle
2nd - is a bit like coordinates only whith shapes and colours
3rd - A man standing with a ball or square, he rotates and goes upside down. You have to be able to tell which hand is which.
4th - Similarity of shapes
5th CRUNCHER - they fire three things at you all at once.-- numbers, the crosshairs and also shape matching... (BALL BUSTER) You be ready for the pub after that one...

All in all its not to bad... I got 8 out of 10 for the whole test.

Best of luck

FF

(p.s i did this test March 07 it may have changes...)

Balticsea
8th Sep 2008, 11:20
FF, thank you for explaining pilapt, makes me feel better to know what to expect! they seem pretty much the same kind of exercises I've done already :E
thanks for encouragement guys! :)

Flightless Falcon
8th Sep 2008, 11:55
All the best with it!!!

You be grand.....

FF

p.s I forgot to say that the friction/tension with the crosshairs changes so be cautious...

I only copped on half way through..lol..

Gavin Smith
9th Sep 2008, 23:07
I've got mine booked for next month. For 'smart dress' are you going for a suit? It seems obvious but don't want to look a prat.

Flightless Falcon
10th Sep 2008, 08:00
Shirt and trousers does just fine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dnt forget

"""no white socks""""

All the best!!

:ok:

Gavin Smith
10th Sep 2008, 10:32
haha, wouldn't even dream of wearing white socks

Flightless Falcon
10th Sep 2008, 10:46
good good.... nice to see some people have some sense.....

when you planning on starting....??? (gavin)

Gavin Smith
10th Sep 2008, 20:14
If I pass (fingers crossed) i'm probably hoping to start early next year sometime, by the time I get finance sorted out and my medical. You at cabair / hoping to join ?

Flightless Falcon
11th Sep 2008, 07:58
startin now at end of oct!!!

Delayed cause of finishing uni!!!!!

Tests arent too bad.... Best advice to give someone is to TAKE UR TIME and not to try and bellow through them,(no extra points for finishi9ng within 5 minutes)

Its easy to tick the wrong box....

Balticsea
11th Sep 2008, 09:15
hi Gavin! I'm going to wear a trouser suit (I'm a girl) and not going for white socks either! I'm planning to start after Christmas, if I pass and everything goes as hoped :}
I already have a medical, have to renew it soon actually... was really easy to get an appointment at Gatwick and the day went smoothly with a nice nurse and doctors, though I was quite nervous as I was anticipating I might not pass... so that doesn't take much time to sort, but have no idea whatsoever about what the bank will require and how long time that will take... :confused:

Flightless Falcon
11th Sep 2008, 10:05
Balticsea

Im in da middle of that hornets nest at the mo.....

One phrase would describe it...

''Head Doing'''

Have a meeting wit HSBC 23rd this month so will be able to let you know more then... Form being sent of this week...!!!

p.s No upper limit, just that:

sum of loan want + mortgage balance to be paid, must now exceed 90% of the property's value if ur securing it wit property...

doesnt take too long as far as i know, just go in person to the bank for an interview... your not obliged but i feel it presents myself better... and ive a istance to get there...

pm me if you want more info!!!!

samee380
11th Sep 2008, 15:31
I am booked on the assessment at Cabair Cranfield on 7th October. Looking forward to it, but as you have said also the Pilapt i am abit nervous about.

Flightless Falcon
11th Sep 2008, 16:02
wouldnt be nervous....

hyped up to be something its not

trust me (apart from the last section!!!!))

Gavin Smith
11th Sep 2008, 16:51
Hi samee380, have got mine booked for the same day as you. Was wondering if anyone else on pprune was going on the same date.

samee380
12th Sep 2008, 11:34
Cool Gavin look forward to meeting you. Email me [email protected] if you want to chat?

If anyone else is going on the same day as me, it would be great to know.

2close
13th Sep 2008, 18:16
Bit off thread, I know, but I was fed information yesterday from within said organisation that, owing to the collapse of Thielert (manufacturer of diesel engines in Diamond aircraft) earlier this year and the removal of all warranties (which means that all faulty and lifed parts now have to be paid for whereas they used to have a lifetime warranty), the words 'financial' and 'trouble' can be found in the same sentence and that they have to find a seven figure sum (£ 1.5 M quoted) to get themselves out of the pooh.

That shouldn't be too much of a problem for an organisation of that size and reputation and I would be very surprised if the company went under but at the same time I would be very careful of paying too much up front without some cast iron guarantees.

Celtic Pilot
15th Sep 2008, 09:45
true... anyone can go bust at any time, doesnt even take a credit crunch to do it!!!!!

look at Lebhram Brothers (mind the spelling) in america....

Lukn bad,,, just have to ride out the storm and hope something is left!!!!

jonnyhock
15th Sep 2008, 18:04
Hi,
I sat the assesment at cranfield last week and passed. Its not too difficult as long as you put in the work beforehand. Make sure you are completely familiar with the questions and subject matter in the physics and maths test questions on the cabair website and maybe try buying the software on pilapt-prep.co.uk.
Its debatable if this software will help you get a better score but i felt that by familiarising myself with the test beforehand i was a bit calmer and focused when being presented with it on the day.

hope this helps, any Qs feel free to PM me!

Balticsea
16th Sep 2008, 11:56
thanks for info jonny! if the maths & physics test is like the practise sessions on their web site, it doesn't seem too bad at all! only thing i'm worried about is electricity and electromagnetism, i just don't get them! on the other hand they're not mentioned on the pre-study list...?
i've been practising for pilapt a little here: http://www.epst.nl/ it's mainly that i too just want to know what to expect on the day
getting anxious now, flight tickets, accommodation booked... i just want to get it over with now! :eek:

Celtic Pilot
16th Sep 2008, 12:51
Balticsea....

Heres a useful link if you find electricity hard

Electricity (http://www.ndt-ed.org/EducationResources/HighSchool/Electricity/hs_elec_index.htm)

I also found it hard but found that this helped,,, Im a mech engineer so electricty isnt my forte,,

jonnyhock
16th Sep 2008, 17:10
I know what you mean, but you have a week to go so there is plenty time for revision yet. I booked mine a week and a half before and managed to pass, im by no means academic and have been out of school for some 11 years so im sure you will do fine!

I tried that website too, the ball test was fairly similar (minus the traction changes) but the rest of the stuff isnt on the cabair test. Seriously though id reccomend the pilapt-prep website if you are looking for all round preparation, it only cost £20 and was money well spent in my opinion.

As for the electromagnatism questions, i used bbc bitesize(Scotland, standard grade level) and it gave fairly good coverage of the subject.

best of luck!

markp123
17th Sep 2008, 16:24
There was mental arithmetic on the pilapt test i took at cabair earlier this year. Somene said there wasn't. I'm not sure if my test may have been slightly different though as it isn't modular/integrated. Foundation degree course aswell as all the flying stuff.

Celtic Pilot
17th Sep 2008, 17:36
mark!!

yeah, was me siad that.. mine was just the integrated course pilapt but not sure if there was any difference... if you mean counting back in Fives and then tens, pushing a button on the joystick when it changes, yeah thats on the final section of the pilpat test, but its not REALI mental arithmetic!!!! Some people say it is, but its not reali, honestly

The separet maths test you do with paper and pencil, now thats mental arithmetic!!!!!

Did an mechanical engineering degree for four years, you'll enjoy uni.. so enjoy it big time... best days of your life!!!

All the best!!!

markp123
18th Sep 2008, 17:02
hmm mine must of been different then! definately had a seperate section with mental maths in it, lol. but anyways....nt guna push the point home anymore it dnt rly matter.
Yea man, pretty sure im gunna enjoy it..seems abit heavy going the course..bu hopefully the alcohol at the weekends will compensate....:O

Celtic Pilot
18th Sep 2008, 22:43
now ur talkn.... But with the money being tight, gonna have to miss the light beer and hit the hard stuff to get the same affect but spending less money,....

You boys do Guinness over der,,, ye's better!!!!!

Cnt wait now myself... just over a month still starting...woo hoo..lol...

roomey
19th Sep 2008, 00:02
I start on the 31st October also. What you doin for diggs?

Celtic Pilot
19th Sep 2008, 07:46
Im not sure yet,,, applied up for the Lanchester Halls...hoping, because the Mitchel Halls which is Catering is a total RIP OFF..

u???

you got the money sorted yet???

Got an appointment now in a weeks time with HSBC....lol...

roomey
19th Sep 2008, 22:11
I am sorted for the money now. Part HSBC, part self funded. HSBC requires security now even if you require 1K, they used to lend upto 25k unsecured but this has all changed now. When you go to HSBC, it is a little like a job interview, make sure you have a solid contingency plan and show you are aware roughly how much the repayments are going to be for the amount you wish to borrow. Also if you were to get a job the likes of Flybe with a 24k starting salary, if you less income tax and NI you will probably be left with around £1500. I have had to borrow 25K and will have to pay around £350pm, so show you can survive on the remaining £1150. I havent yet sorted anywhere to stay yet, still working on it!

Celtic Pilot
22nd Sep 2008, 07:57
Aue got all that started and calculated out for the bank...

All mine will be funded by the HSBC loan, yeah realised after the last month of economic diaster that unsecured loans wont be happening./..

Contingency plan is as good as they get so im happy enough there...

Got that interview next week so i be sorted then...

You got any flying experience.??

Balticsea
3rd Oct 2008, 08:38
I'm now back from Cabair and it is embarrasing to say, I didn't pass :uhoh: I was told I could go back in couple of months though, and as I found the staff there REALLY friendly, I think I'm going to do just that! After initial shock, I'm now more determined than ever, planning to nail them down next time! :cool:

Celtic Pilot
3rd Oct 2008, 09:02
Dont worry about it Balticsea....You will now know what to expect and where to go, so this will calm your nerves, and you will hit it head on... You be grand....What section let you down???

Head up, a press on, you'll pass next time!!!