PDA

View Full Version : Ascot 600

effortless
31st Aug 2008, 08:46
Thank you very so for making my grandson very happy. We watched you at Shoreham and he said "I wish it would land." Lo and behold, he was entranced as you did just that. Made the current Mrs Effortless happy too. She is in love with Albert, silly old bat!

"Grandad, is that a "J"?" F'gawdsake he's only six!

exscribbler
31st Aug 2008, 12:56
Well done, Effortless. He may be only 6 but he's obviously being dragged up proper. :ok:

What's the betting those Js will still be in service when he's old enough to fly one? :E

kageboy
1st Sep 2008, 15:56
The J at Shoreham:= I might add it was the old girl herself, the Mighty K at Shoreham!

effortless
1st Sep 2008, 18:50
The J at Shoreham I might add it was the old girl herself, the Mighty K at Shoreham!
Now, now, read the post. I never said that I answered the little tick. The last time I was in a Herc they weren't even called Albert. I wouldn't know a J from a K if my life depended on it.http://www.security-forums.com/images/smiles/icon_redface.gif

ZH875
1st Sep 2008, 18:54
I wouldn't know a J from a K if my life depended on it.http://www.security-forums.com/images/smiles/icon_redface.gif

It is ever so easy, the K smells of Piss.:E

clicker
1st Sep 2008, 20:18
It is ever so easy, the K smells of Piss

And there was me thinking you could only tell the Falcons by the smoke they leave behind.

DrumMachine
2nd Sep 2008, 10:29
As the Captain of Ascot 600 I am delighted that your grandson was so enthralled by our arrival, as I was by all types of aircraft at his age. The purpose of RAF participation at airshows is to inspire the young, unfortunately some appear to seek to hijack this, and many other threads, in a less than inspiring manner. Both types of RAF Hercules and their crews are doing stirling work in difficult circumstances and all at Lyneham should be proud of each other.

spamcanner
2nd Sep 2008, 12:39
Hi DrumMachine, it was great to see you guys at Shoreham on Saturday and such a scorching day for it too! Hope you managed a drop on Sunday, despite our usual weather taking hold again! You were a very popular display item with the assembled masses:ok:

SirPeterHardingsLovechild
2nd Sep 2008, 16:17
DrumMachine

1. The rest of the crew found your arrival quite exciting as well!

2. There's a £2,000 bounty for recruiting, are you claiming it for this young chap?

3. Aircrew are always very popular with the assembled masses, it's just a shame they don't give receipts. :mad:

effortless
2nd Sep 2008, 17:15
Drum Machine.

Thank you very much, the little beast was also listening to you and said that if he was flying it he would have sounded less calm.

"Grandad the man told him to hurry up and come down but he said that he would in six minutes." I think that he may end up as ATC.

clicker
2nd Sep 2008, 19:51
Both types of RAF Hercules and their crews are doing stirling work in difficult circumstances and all at Lyneham should be proud of each other.

Hear Hear.

Stupid Boy
3rd Sep 2008, 07:04
Drum Machine

I enjoyed both of the landings on Saturday! I did not know that a Herc could imitate a triple jumper :ok:

Laker Liker
3rd Sep 2008, 11:34
I finished flying on the Albert in 1978 but the first ones I flew were silver all over - beat that!

Old Fella
3rd Sep 2008, 11:57
The RAAF C130A's were unpainted, except for some flight control surfaces, roundels and walkways on upper surfaces from their introduction in 1958 until replaced by the C130H in 1978.

Laker Liker
4th Sep 2008, 16:05
The ones that I flew from Marrietta to Cambridge only had four hours on them when we took off.............

Old Fella
5th Sep 2008, 01:06
Laker Liker, what is your point in your most recent post? Many of us have been part of ferry crews on new C130's from Lockheed's Dobbins Air Base facility.

anotherthing
5th Sep 2008, 01:39
Effortless,

being an ex mil aviator myself (RN Lynx), I love to see and help facilitate mil A/C dong displays.

I will hold my hand up to being the chap who was getting on to Shoreham ATC to get the bugger down though as I had a shed load of Gatwick inbounds due at the time...

It's always the way.. never happens when you're quiet. Glad it all went OK though!

sprucemoose
5th Sep 2008, 11:09
Always great to read the banter, but I thought I'd lend my (limited, and purely work-related) spotter's powers.

Effortless: there is an easy way of telling the aircraft apart, other than the aroma. The J has six-bladed props versus the earlier Hercules' four, and the new aircraft also has a distinctive black section at the lower front part of its tail, which acts as an ice kicker.

It used to be really easy, because the Js were all grey and the Ks green, but the new aircraft are progressively going green also now.

Moose :8

Mactlsm1
5th Sep 2008, 13:01
Sprucemoose said: The J has six-bladed props versus the earlier Hercules' four, and the new aircraft also has a distinctive black section at the lower front part of its tail, which acts as an ice kicker."

I think that you'll find that the black section at the lower front of the fin is in fact the HF antenna (this replaces the long wire antennas on the K model). Also another easy way of telling them apart is that the K has underwing tanks whereas our J models do not.

Mac

Top Bunk Tester
5th Sep 2008, 14:04
The easiest way to tell the J & the K apart is that the J always flys in a nose up attitude and the K straight and level. This phenomenon is caused by the J only having a Pie Eating loady and a couple of large GEs down the back, whereas the K was counterbalanced by the Eng and the Nav up front. :}

Wycombe
5th Sep 2008, 14:09
....also, the K sounds (and leaves smoke behind it) like a proper aeroplane, the J disguises it's greater power by sounding like a King Air.

sprucemoose
5th Sep 2008, 14:33
Thanks Mac, I stand corrected!

Old Fella
6th Sep 2008, 02:35
TBT Not sure about the "Pie eating L/M's", or the large GE's on the C130J, but it isn't a "real" Hercules. I can't see how replacing a professional F/E with two GE's is best use of manpower. The RAAF got the best out of us, flew as the F/E, fixed the snags as they occured when away from home base. Still, the "bean counters" always have had more say than they deserve.

minigundiplomat
6th Sep 2008, 12:00
Speaking as an SH Mate, it's always good to see the lumbering Albert, especially when it's taking you back home.

Busy boys these days.