PDA

View Full Version : Am I too late at 27?

Francie81
29th Aug 2008, 22:58
Hi everyone,

Am hoping to become a pilot slowly but surely starting with my PPL, I have 15,000 banked and saving prob about 10K a year through my day job, at the moment I have my sights set starting out at our National Flight Centre although keeping other alternatives open like going to Florida, nothing is decided as of yet until I get real some good feedback, what I would really like for people to tell me reading this who have been there done it is if am TOO LATE at 27 to go for it based on my situation? I will dearly appreciate any kind of advice.

Thanks,
Francie

Captain Airclues
29th Aug 2008, 23:14
http://www.pprune.org/professional-pilot-training-includes-ground-studies/51690-perpetual-am-i-too-old-how-old-too-old-thread-merged-several-times.html

dno1playa
29th Aug 2008, 23:32
Hi Francie81,

I would say your not to old to start at 27 years old.I was reacently at Oxford doing there assessments and some of the other guy's on the assessment were 25,29,35 so I think that alot of people arent in a postion to train until there mid twentys due to finacial reasons or have been in other careers.

So I don't think you will be the odd one out.

I have been flying with NFC doing my ppl if you are serious about getting through your ppl as quick as possible I would stay away from NFC. They don't care about there customers I can't count how many times I have travelled there after ringing before I left my house being told "Oh yes the weather is fine and your instructor say's you will be flying" and when you arrive you get told many excuses :"Sorry your Instructor has suddenly felt ill and you wont be flying or doing groundschool"(Even though he is standing outside smoking) this is one of the many.

I reccomend visting the flyer show in Dublin on the 20th of September lots of info there.

Bullethead
30th Aug 2008, 00:19
Definitely not too old Francie, a mate of mine was a school teacher and at the tender age of 36 decided to 'go flying' and did so to satisfy his dream and recently checked out in command on the B767.

Go for it I reckon.:ok:

Regards,
BH.

AKAFresh
30th Aug 2008, 01:10
In short NO WAY!

Iv heard and seen much older people go through flight training. The one thing I found they had a tendency to pick things up abit slower but this did not mean they could not complete the exercise or subject. They just needed some extra time/teaching to grasp it.

Please don't think the same goes for you, I am just stating a general observation I made when I was flight training. There were guys who where 18 years old who also suffered from the same thing, it can happen to all of us but generally it was the older guys. They all made it in the end! :)

How you manage will entirely depend on your own academic/flying background and commitment. The days when age mattered are all long gone since the new laws against age discrimination, well at least in the UK that is, not sure in other countries.

As far as jobs and airline recruitment there are many airlines out there that prefer to take on pilots who are older (and I mean older in the sense 27 and above range, which btw is NOT old but you know what I mean lol).

They prefer to have a mix of pilots with a varied age group, my own airline certainly favours the older pilot. They tend to stay loyal and are mature both of which are good if you want them to be captains. Oh and they tend to have more life experience... plus side to that:- more to talk about in the cruise!

I wish you all the best, Good Luck! :ok:

Aka.

UncleNobby
30th Aug 2008, 02:08
In a word, no! # of year working you've worked full time? (ballpark 5). # of years to retirement? About 38!! I think you're one the right side of the numbers.
I'm going on 29, weekend flyer in the US with FAA IR (15 months since first lesson) working on the Comm and hope to make a living out of it someday - ideally back home in the rebel county!!
Good luck.

ChrisLKKB
30th Aug 2008, 07:31
A friend of mine qualified at 35 but didn't get his first job until 41. Not sure how this age discrimination act is working, do you still have to put your DOB on the application form ?

jococ3
30th Aug 2008, 08:46
Hi Francie81,

I PM'd you.

mason
30th Aug 2008, 12:36
I wouldnt go to NFC if you didnt want to be robbed

Nearly There
30th Aug 2008, 13:28
Have you been there Mason?

mrbarvid
30th Aug 2008, 14:20
Hell No!

I´m 29 and just started my career!

Peace!

docash1983
30th Aug 2008, 16:22
I certainly hope not, ill probably be 30 before i start my training.

Francie81
30th Aug 2008, 16:29
I'd like to thank yas all for a big response. Wow I didn't realise NFC was that bad I think I would rather go the OBA Florida route so as that would be a full three weeks of flying and you have your PPL. I just don't want to rush into anything until I have found the best option for me without paying and arm and a leg. Is anyone on this thread A pilot (online) or close to becoming?

Thanks

Delta Golf Mike
30th Aug 2008, 17:29
Would you care to elaborate Mason? :hmm:

captain.weird
30th Aug 2008, 18:10
Just read the link dat Captain Airclues (http://www.pprune.org/members/2545-captain-airclues) has gived you.

Francie81
8th Sep 2008, 21:37
Can someone advise me if its necessesary to study prior going to kick start a flying career, I am reading a flight manual anyway?