PDA

View Full Version : Meridiana

firemac
29th Aug 2008, 07:27
Hi Folks,
I'm trying to organise a trip to Florence from UK & it would appear that the only airline flying direct from LGW is Meridiana, who I've never come across before. Can anyone tell me anything about them or recommend them?
Thanks,
Firemac:)

Musket90
29th Aug 2008, 19:10
Don't know much about the airline but they have operated LGW-Florence for many years. Runway length at Florence is limiting for larger aircraft so they used Bae146 . Perhaps they now operate A319's on the route but other more knowledegable people may know.

Otto Nove Due
29th Aug 2008, 20:08
I've flown with them many times from their base at Olbia, only on their MD-82s. Excellent airline, never found a fault with them. I haven't flown with them in the last couple of years though so can't vouch for their current standard but I'd say go for it.

firemac
29th Aug 2008, 20:15
Hi Guys,
Thanks for that. I believe that they've retired all of their 146's now (for A319's?). Little bit nervous about the MD-82's after Madrid despite having flown mega-miles on SAS's over the years.
As I hadn't come across them before, I just wanted some info. Thanks again.

Firemac.

Final 3 Greens
30th Aug 2008, 05:25
firemac

Meridiana also fly A319.

If you book to Florence, be aware that the runway is very short and terrain limited (sodding great hill not far from one end.)

So wind direction/speed is critical to operations.

What I am saying is have a "plan B" in case you are diverted to Bologna or Pisa.

Were it my choice, I would fly to Pisa and take the train, which only costs a few euros and takes about an hour - the train stops just outside the airport, a couple of mins walk from the terminal.

Have a great trip :ok:

firemac
30th Aug 2008, 12:00
Thanks F3G,

I'd thought about Pisa as BA flies there but wasn't sure about transit to Florence. Now I know! Thanks again.

Firemac:ok:

JulietNovemberPapa
30th Aug 2008, 17:51
For train Pisa-Florence train info, you could use www.bahn.de (http://www.bahn.de). That website will also tell you the train connections, times, etc, from, say, London to Vladivostok.

aeroplanejohn
31st Aug 2008, 16:58
Meridiana formerly Alisarda commenced flying into London Gatwick in September 1991 with Bae146-200 from Florence with two flights daily later expanded to three flights daily from early 1992. The airline is privately owned by HH the Aga Khan as majority shareholder with the balance held by employees and an Italian investment group. I believe it has been flying now for over fifty years. At one time they served 24 cities in 6 European countries with MD-82 and Bae 146 aircraft.The airline is headquartered in Olbia Sardinia with Florence as its main international base. The Bae146 aircraft were returned to the manufacturer when the A319 aircraft arrived in 2005.Yes Florence has a short runway comparable to London City but it only takes 15-20 minutes by taxi from the airport into the city so why go to Pisa, miss the train connection then have to pay a fortune in Euros for a taxi to Florence and take over one hour getting there! Go non-stop to Florence. Incidentally Meridiana operates business and economy class. Have a great trip Ciaoooo.

Final 3 Greens
31st Aug 2008, 17:04
Yes Florence has a short runway comparable to London City but it only takes 15-20 minutes by taxi from the airport into the city so why go to Pisa

Because, if the wind limits caue flight cancellations, the tiny airport at Firenze becomes chaotic and it can take several hourse to get revalidated and bussed somewhere else.

Thats why, from someone who has travelled to the area many times and experienced this.

firemac
8th Sep 2008, 21:27
Hi, me again.
Well, I'm going with LON:PSA to avoid any possibility of problems with the Florence runway/weather. However, the purpose of the trip is a surprise birthday present for my wife but there seems to be a considerable choice of hotels in central Florence & it's frankly difficult to select one. Can any of you folks with experience of Florence recommend a good 'un?
Sorry but if this query's inappropriate for the forum, I'll understand if the mods can it.
Thanks in anticipation,
Firemac

shobakker
9th Sep 2008, 14:43
Firemac - Reviews of vacations, hotels, resorts, vacation and travel packages - TripAdvisor (http://www.tripadvisor.com) is your friend in these matters. I would suggest you take a little time to research this site. Make sure that your hotel is relatively central - whilst Florence is easy to walk around, there are plenty of hotels quite a way out of the city centre. It's a great place, hope you have a fantastic time.

Oh, and don't worry about the train bit - it's dead easy - the station in Pisa is almost literally outside the exit doors of the airport and the station in Florence is slap bang in the city centre.

vonbag
16th May 2009, 09:38
Hello all,

I am to fly with Meridiana to Florence (F.# IG3424). I read all the information you kindly shared and now am a bit worried: booked hotel near Peretola as the flight is planned to arrive there at 22:40 and there are no trains available to continue the trip down to my place (about 100 km in the South of Firenze).
If the flight get diverted to Pisa or Bologna due to bad weather conditions (or whatever else) me and my wife (and possibly everybody else of the PAX) would be in trouble.
The flight will take place on next friday, May 22.

Do you know, perchance, what A/C they use for these relatively short hops from Schipol (AMS) to Firenze? (MD82, A319 or none of the two?)

Thank you in advance for any additional info. you can share.

aeroplanejohn
16th May 2009, 10:12
Meridiana only operate Airbus 319 into Florence on their international flights. Have a great trip. Ciao.

vonbag
16th May 2009, 10:23
Ciao Aeroplanejohn,

Molte grazie delle informazioni (thanks for the pieces of information).

Un caro saluto, Paolo

vonbag
2nd Jun 2009, 09:28
There (with Meridiana -- in Airbus 319, indeed -- to Peretola - FI) and back (with Transavia's Boeing 737-700 from Villafranca - VR).

Wonderful service, both ways :D