PDA

View Full Version : Fuel dumping

Chequeredflag
28th Aug 2008, 19:22
Can someone please advise whether all commercial passenger aircraft from say 737 upwards can dump fuel in case of emergency landing. I seem to remember some cannot, eg 757 and maybe A320 series?. Info only needed to settle a small argument on another non aviation forum!!

Many thanks

CF

7574ever
28th Aug 2008, 19:55
The 73 can't do it either. Nor can MD-80's, most regionals (if not all)...

I guess someone will be able to post a comprehensive list.

Regards.

411A
28th Aug 2008, 19:58
Fuel dump ability is a customer option, with some aircraft.

747jock
28th Aug 2008, 20:05
Simple answer is No! not all aircraft need to be able to dump fuel, as the difference between the maximum take-off weight and landing weight is not great. However, on the Boeing 747 the take-off weight is 395 tonnes and the landing weight 285 tonnes, Max fuel about 175, so you need to be able to get rid of some of it in an emergency.

aeroDellboy
28th Aug 2008, 20:27
Stupid question - where does it go?

BigGeordie
28th Aug 2008, 20:30
It gets pumped out of the back of the wings as a fine mist which evaporates before it hits the ground as long as you are above about 5000 feet. Effective, but not very green.

Ychocky
28th Aug 2008, 20:31
It is usually done over water, and the fuel evaporates before it reaches the surface.

spannersatcx
28th Aug 2008, 20:34
some pics here (http://forums.airshows.co.uk/cgi-bin/ukarboard/ikonboard.cgi?;act=ST;f=34;t=53197)

aeroDellboy
28th Aug 2008, 20:40
Thanks for that, I've heard of it before, but never really thought about where it went. Bloody hell....

sevenstrokeroll
28th Aug 2008, 20:48
ok, a long time ago I found a boeing list of planes that can and can't dump fuel, made by boeing/douglas

basically, dumping starts with SOME, but not all Boeing 767's...early ones can't, later ones can and it depends on which airline bought them

strangely enough, some DC9-30's came with fuel dumping for Air Canada planes, though it is thought this system has been turned off (but I will bet that the air force and navy versions can dump fuel)

the DC8 can dump fuel too.

so planes bigger than dc8/ 767 can dump fuel

non boeings that can dump would be the larger airbuses, L1011 and the like

not the smaller air buses, and none of the regional jets.

hope this helps settle your bet

john_tullamarine
28th Aug 2008, 22:22
Current requirement at FAR 25.1001 (http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr&sid=e138cb44fe9e508d9c1877cf824a8d7d&rgn=div8&view=text&node=14:1.0.1.3.11.5.185.39&idno=14).

As always, if you wish to speak to a particular Type, you must dig out the relevant A/L FARs.

Chequeredflag
28th Aug 2008, 22:44
Thanks for your replies. Not exactly a bet, but on a boating website, someone was complaining that his boat is often covered with aviation fuel as the planes landing at Nice dump their fuel before landing!!

It basically led on from there with some "pilot" individual from the area saying that all commercial planes dump fuel before landing "..to get within landing weight limits". Yeah right!!

Sorry if I have wasted your time, but some professional input was welcome.

Thanks

sevenstrokeroll
28th Aug 2008, 22:55
contrary to popular belief, fuel dumping is not just to get to max landing weight.

instead, it is to get the plane light enough to go around on the remaining engines, in case the landing can't be made.

fuel dumping is usually done at or above 4000' agl...original tests were done dumping fuel over an open fire and it didn't burn...

Carnage Matey!
28th Aug 2008, 23:33
Not exactly a bet, but on a boating website, someone was complaining that his boat is often covered with aviation fuel as the planes landing at Nice dump their fuel before landing!!

Often the same morons who insist the vortices shed from the wings are evidence of dumping fuel. They're not, they're just water like in your average cloud.

lomapaseo
29th Aug 2008, 00:22
here's a typical announcement from the captain while undergoing a fuel dump.

http://fromtheflightdeck.com/MEL/Fuel%20Dump.wma

What was of secondary interest to me was the poor guy got to wait arround 6 hours for the engine to be fixed and still had to take the plane all the way to Narita the same day with all the unhappy passengers.