PDA

View Full Version : JAR-FCL requirements for radio communication in English?

Turbavykas
28th Aug 2008, 10:39
Hi

I just finished my PPL(A) as my first step. I got permission for radio communication in Lithuanian only. I got ICAO Level 4 but this changed nothing. In my country I have to go to some "aviation English"(called "airspeak" here) courses(quite expensive!!!) and only then CAA will give me permission for radio communication in English. Can you advice about JAR-FCL requirements or practices in your countries? If you pass ATPL exams and have ICAO Level do you need anything else for radio communication in English?

tbavprof
28th Aug 2008, 14:24
Need some clarification first. Does your PPL state that you are restricted to Lithuanian comm only (or some other "does not meet ICAO requirements...") statement?

Next question would be, how did you get an "ICAO Level 4?" Was it through an examination with a Lithuanian CAA examiner? Only a licensing CAA, on their own or through their approved 3rd-party tester can do an ICAO language proficiency certification.

And it sounds like the only Lithuanian CAA-approved testing is through this airspeak program.

Turbavykas
29th Aug 2008, 07:00
Need some clarification first. Does your PPL state that you are restricted to Lithuanian comm only (or some other "does not meet ICAO requirements...") statement?

It states "Radio communication in Lithuanian"! No any statements like "does not meet..."

Yes I got ICAO Level 4 through CAA approved examiner and in remarks section they put "ICAO Level 4" and license is JAR-FCL ect...

tbavprof
29th Aug 2008, 13:30
To Lithuanian licensing regs? I think you may be stuck with that. UK regs say that the first step in getting the English proficiency for any commercial ratings is completion of an IR course, taught in English.

That may be the most cost effective way of getting the restriction removed if Lithuania will allow it.