PDA

View Full Version : Sticky Times At BMIBaby?

slapdash8
27th Aug 2008, 11:24
Just had a quick look at one of Babys newly repainted and mildly updated logod 733s and noticed they have gone for the full white frame with decal logos/tail/cowls.

This wouldn't be for the long term, as decals look great for all of a week before pealing off or surcumbing to the effects of skydrol.

are baby about to announce a fleet renewal or are other goings on afoot, as the decals over clean white is generally encorperated prior to an aircraft handback/take over (GBairways-easyjet and BACon-Flybe 145s come to mind locally)

dontdoit
27th Aug 2008, 11:54
Decal-ing is more common than you might think; as far as I remember the long-used Britannia Airways (pre-Tui) colourscheme was, by and large, stuck on.

slapdash8
27th Aug 2008, 13:41
i know it is a commonly used method of decorating an a/c

i just thought with various rumours about BMI over the last year or so (BA/Lufthansa takeovers...Baby looking into emb190s/turboprops), the fact Baby had changed from a painted livery to decals was suspect(ish)

im a bit cheesed this has gone into the spotters corner to be honest. spotting isnt my hobby, i just happened to notice it while doing my job.

ho hum

rubik101
27th Aug 2008, 15:49
Slap-dash, it's been moved here because there are enough of the 'throw mud and see if it sticks' type of post on R & N.

FlyboyUK
27th Aug 2008, 15:54
Here here Rubik. These sensationalist headlines on pprune from armchair experts should be banned. Baby is doing well, has had a good summer and a good future ahead. The new logo looks much better and improves the visibility of the branding

OliWW
27th Aug 2008, 18:43
If I was up there with the boss of bmibaby I would seriously consider the A320, easyJet have 3 up for grabs within the next few months, the ones that aren't going back to BA, and they have 7 A321. Though bmibaby will most likely never get them. I think the new livery looks very good, stands out more in the croud of airlines there are at the moment, though the B733's are starting to show there age, I think A319/A320's are the best option for bmibaby, the A319 has 156 which is close to the already 148pax atm and easyjet have about 5 of these for display at the moment, and we delivered between 2003-04 so aren't that old, which gives baby a good ranged fleet if they did go for it, and the A320's can be put at MAN because they have had the A321 up there from bmi this summer, and that has been doing really really well, getting full flights all the time, so the A320 would cover that all year. Perfect!:ok:

G-STAW
27th Aug 2008, 19:15
Flew MAN-PRG-MAN last month with BMI on a leased BMI A321 and it was sold out.

baby provide a great service, a great little operation, hope they succeed in the long run...

G-STAW

slapdash8
27th Aug 2008, 21:08
It wa neither a throw in the mud comment or sensationalist headline from an armchair expert, just a valid observation from an engineer in close quarters to babys bus stop. I was going more for the fleet overhaul myself as I don't think the 733 is viable in the current economical climate. If they're doing so well, why not splash out

drivez
27th Aug 2008, 21:32
In current climate as SLF you're not even allowed to carry a toothbrush on holiday with you because that would be over weight for your luggage. Paint is very heavy, for instance the paint job on a 747 weighs the same as a double decker bus. So screw the paint and on with the decals save weight and therfore fuel and therefore money. Some think tank probably decided that having decals saves 20 lb of weight which over a year saves £100,000 or something.