PDA

View Full Version : Interesting nuclear weapons history site

WE Branch Fanatic
26th Aug 2008, 21:50
Nuclear Weapons (http://nuclear-weapons.info/)

This website is intended to be a source of reliable material never before catalogued in one place. Almost all will be based on research in archived official documents now declassified after the end of the Cold War and assistance provided by other researchers, for who's help and encouragement I am grateful; especially Dr Richard Moore of the Mountbatten Centre for International Studies at the University of Southampton, Alex Wellerstein of the History of Science Department at Harvard University, and Chris Gibson. Without their generous help and encouragement, and the encouragement offered by Professor Jack Harris MBE, FRS, a former editor of Interdisciplinary Science Reviews, this website would not exist. Thanks are also extended to the helpful staff at The National Archives, London; and for The National Archives permission to use my photographs of their copyright material. Thanks to their generosity, in most cases readers can see the original source material at footnote. Re-users should assiduously attribute the copyright of those documents to The National Archives.

Thus far, only the V to W (http://www.nuclear-weapons.info/vw.htm) section is completed. There does seem to be quite a lot on WE177 (http://www.nuclear-weapons.info/vw.htm#WE.177).

The discussion of the use of primaries and secondaries of the same basic design in different warheads, and the different test phillosophy to that of the US, flys in the face of the opinion of those commentators who insist that WE177 must have been a copy of a US design.

In the early 1990's some writers asserted that the WE.177A design was based on the US B57 bomb,9 which was of a similar size, weight, yield and purpose, and that speculation has been widely repeated elsewhere. The B57 also functioned as a NDB, and it used the W-44 Tsetse/Tony boosted fission warhead rejected by the British for their RE.179 primary. It is also true that the British had access to its design and planned to manufacture it in the UK for various purposes. However, since the early 1990's, many secret files have been declassified, and these make it clear that the claims about a common design were merely speculation and wrong.

Some writers made the assertion9 that because the British conducted so few full-scale nuclear tests, WE.177 was unlikely to be an indigenous design. That it must, by a curious extension of that logic, be an American design, the closest being the B57, while failing to understand that the WE.177 fission element was one of a 'family' of designs, deliberately similar, intended to produce a 'common design', usable with only minor changes, in a variety of applications from Skybolt, Polaris, Blue Water and WE.177. As it indeed was, and so a single series of only four full-scale underground nuclear tests were necessary, plus one failed test.10,11 There were four other [nuclear] 'effects' tests conducted in the US, and numerous non-nuclear 'scaled' tests in the UK. Hardly a small testing programme for a single fission device. In fairness to those writers, it may not have been so apparent then as now, after numerous declassifications of archived documents.

Such speculation also fails to take into account the cultural and financial differences between the US and British nuclear programmes. The early US programme was over-reliant on full-scale testing because of the extreme urgency attached to its very large programme.

glad rag
26th Aug 2008, 21:56
You really need to get out more.

And there are some aspects to that site that may well lead to the black Omega syndrome.

bri21
26th Aug 2008, 23:43
flys in the face of the opinion of those commentators who insist that WE177 must have been a copy of a US design.

There is a world of difference between an opinion, no matter how illustrious the opinionated, and hard evidence from declassified archives.

Opinions are akin to backing the winner of the 3.30 at Doncaster. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.

:=

thunderbird7
27th Aug 2008, 05:46
Is this the sort of hobby where you collect the serial numbers as they fly past? Only 1 entry in the book....

green granite
27th Aug 2008, 06:53
As one who worked for the prime contractor on WE 177 and was involved in a lot of the trials work and analysis, I shall view that site with great interest, but, as I have a morbid fear of black Omegas, don't expect a great deal of comment from me.

tc2324
27th Aug 2008, 07:16
And with the papers claiming today that the `Russkies` are not afraid of starting a new cold war, you might start getting more hits on your site than you expect.

CirrusF
27th Aug 2008, 08:14
I wonder if they will include the "Secret 9mm nuclear round" that we used to demonstrate to impressionable visiting dignatories (usually yanks).

Before a demonstration at the pistol butts, we would tape to the back lower corner of an Ivan target a small tin-foil sandwich connnected to a detonator and a wadge of semtex and incendiary. Once the serious part of the demo was over, the armourer, dressed in a white lab coat would bring forward the "Secret 9mm nuclear round" in a specially painted ammo box, embedded in cotton wool. If the armourer had time on his hands he might even paint the round white and put a nuclear sticker from an airfix kit on the nose. After a briefing and inspection, dignatories would all be issued with those ridiculous dark glasses you get from hospitals, and ushered ten paces further back. The shooter would then load up, quick tap a few normal rounds into the target, then pause, we'd announce that the next round was the "secret nuclear round". Solemnly he'd aim at the part of the target with the tin foil sandwich behind it, resulting in a spectacular explosion and fireball. All very good fun until further demos were banned after somebody overdosed the semtex and blew off the end of the pistol butts.

scarecrow450
27th Aug 2008, 10:39
The 9mm round sounded great. Hope all were impressed ! :ok:

glad rag
27th Aug 2008, 14:56
I take it he got the gong BEFORE take off!

side salad
27th Aug 2008, 22:09
Is this the sort of hobby where you collect the serial numbers as they fly past? Only 1 entry in the book....

Ha - keyboard coffee moment:ok:

Spurlash2
27th Aug 2008, 22:39
Siloe

Was it 6 or 12 minutes airborne time with that thing underneath? :eek:

Dan D'air
28th Aug 2008, 00:22
Slightly off thread, but English Heritage publish an extremely interesting book called "COLD WAR-Building for Nuclear Confrontation 1946-1989" The ISBN is 1 873592 69 8. Highly detailed, it runs the gamut from shelter design, through AD to radar and missile installations, finishing off with a rather quite scary list of Britain's Nuclear weapons and their cost. IMHO It's well worth seeing if the library has one, as £24.99 for a bathroom time filler is quite steep.

I'll just go get me anorak.............................

Beatriz Fontana
28th Aug 2008, 18:55
Dan,

It's available in paperback now...

Bob Clarke's "Four Minute Warning, Britain's Cold War" is a good alternative.