PDA

View Full Version : Best hotel at LHR for watching planes!

NWSRG
26th Aug 2008, 21:11
Hi folks,

Have to spend a night at LHR soon...looking for a hotel which is (a) nice to stay in (b) does a good breakfast (c) has free transport to T1 & T3 and (d) lets you see the planes from your room!

Any suggestions appreciated!

The_Banking_Scot
26th Aug 2008, 21:42
Hi,

The Renaissance on Bath Road ( Marriott chain) has some rooms that overlook the northern runway. Busses along Bath road that go to the Heathrow Central Bus station ( for T1,2,3) are free.

Regards

TBS

VAFFPAX
27th Aug 2008, 01:29
I second TBS. The Renaissance has arguably got the best view of 27R, the Holiday Inn is set back too far from the perimeter.

Alternatively, Premier Inn might be useful, but it's a bit further east than the Renaissance.

S.

wiggy
27th Aug 2008, 02:26
Premier Travel Inn on Bath road is pretty much under short final for 27R. The rooms generally don't generally have great views but there's a picnic area out the back which is great for spectating - you need good weather needless to say.

Aksai Oiler
27th Aug 2008, 08:49
You need to get a room on 3rd Floor or access to the Executive Lounge at the Renaissance

oldlag53
27th Aug 2008, 09:03
The Renaissance offers a Plane Spotters Package at the weekends (Fri/Sat nights) for about £90 a night. Great value for money as you get a full buffet breakfast, and a decent room with a spectacular view of 27R. I can highly recommend it...

Midland 331
27th Aug 2008, 19:56
I can vouch that the view is good.

I climbed out of bed "bolog-naked", at 0600, whisked back the huge curtains, to be greeted by a Cathay 747 rolling past. Oops. I hope that the passengers still had bleary eyes...

Thread drift:- The Travelodge at LGW has a wing with rooms that had a superb view straight up the 26L approach. Great fun with a radio. I seem to recall that some huge conifers now spoil the view.

aeroDellboy
27th Aug 2008, 22:33
Agree, the Renaissance is good, you can request a room with a view on third floor, but if you are prepared to pay a supplement, you can get a Club room, many of which have views, but gives access into the lounge on the third floor with good views and usually snacks and soft drinks free, alcohol at bar prices. They also do breakfast in the Club lounge if you don't get it as part of a deal. If you stay on the weekend plane spotters deal you get free parking I think, otherwise it is £10 a night.

BBC usually uses the car park for its views of LHR in the background.

I used to stay there most weeks, when Concorde left on an evening, it set all the car alarms off in the car park...

NWSRG
9th Oct 2008, 09:50
Well folks,

I took up your advice and booked a night at the Renaissance on Friday 26th...arrived at about 10pm, to find 'Miss Intercontinental 2008' in full swing...quite an eye-opener! My good wife thought we had arrived at an awards night for 'adult' entertainment!

Anyway, our room had a great view of the northern runway, a quick dinner was excellent, and the bed was comfy! I woke at 6.15, decided I couldn't sleep in, and got up to pull open the curtains for some wide-body spotting...to find that I could barely see the perimeter fence! Thick, thick fog! By the time we were enjoying breakfast (very good too) at about 9.30am, I could just make out the terrminal buildings...and of course, by that time I had realised that traffic was landing on 09L, not 27R, so most was turning off before passing my window!

My sweet wife has promised to take me back for Christmas / birthday etc., but I need to know what the norm is for early morning landings...my recollection was that 27L or 27R was the usual early on...can anyone confirm?

wiggy
9th Oct 2008, 10:36
It alternates on a weekly basis and just after 6 AM both get used briefly to get all the holding traffic on the ground.

FWIW this week i.e. 6-12th Oct it's 27L up to 1500 local, so 13th - 19th should be 27R, etc, etc ....so I guess with a year planner you could work it out....in theory.

Wibblemonster
9th Oct 2008, 11:29
I spent a lot of time in the Renaissance last year, some of the normal rooms have a good view of the runway too.

hopefully you will get a fog free stay next time!

The restaurant on the other hand was below par IMHO, breakfast was ok-ish.

Leezyjet
10th Oct 2008, 19:14
There are certain rooms at Jury's that apparently offer views of the 27L approach and the southern side of the airport, also some rooms in the Hilton do too, but I guess you would have to know which specific rooms to benefit - maybe a call to each hotel could provide the info.

If the food at the Renaissance isn't up to scratch, you could always try Maccy D's over the road. :E

There is also a local pub called the Pheasent that is about 5-10 mins walk from the A4 Bath Road that does reasonable pub food and has a restaurant too, or The Green Man is about 5 mins walk from Hatton Cross that does pretty good pub food, and is right under the 27L approach so on a sunny day, you can watch the a/c pass by with a pint.

:ok:

eastern wiseguy
11th Oct 2008, 00:36
NWSRG.......Never mind all that nonsense...get a bus to IKEA....get settled in to the cafe with a plate of meatballs...04/22...what more could you need?:}:}