PDA

View Full Version : JAA Pro pilot course - OFT.

Felix Saddler
26th Aug 2008, 17:07
I was wondering if anyone with experience, or knowledge, with regards to this course could give me some advice.
I just came about the scheme whilst browsing the rates at OFT and it looks fairly interesting.

JAA Pro-pilot course (http://www.oftgs.com/propilot.html)

Thanks,

Fs.

Ste88
26th Aug 2008, 19:16
Hi!

I'm very interessed as you at the jaa course at OFT.

But i think that your link is wrong i see on their website, the price is different!
Try this!
private pilot, learn to fly with Orlando Flight Training (http://www.flyoft.com/pro_pilot_course.php)

just a question what about the IR? because the course is made in UK i think so..so the price is not true, how much more?

Felix Saddler
26th Aug 2008, 19:47
Thanks for the link:

FAA to JAA Instrument Conversion This is the conversion of the FAA Instrument Rating to the JAA Instrument Rating. This is completed at our associate company, Cabair in Cranfield, England. You will fly 15-20 hours and sit a flight test. Many people manage the JAA IR conversion with 20 hours or more.

I would budget around £8000 for the remainder of the IR and expenses.

Felix Saddler
26th Aug 2008, 20:47
I would budget accordingly:

JAA Pro-pilot course

PPL, Hour Building, ATPL ground school, ME, CPL, IR.

Total = $40,000

Additional Costs: -

Single Room Accommodations: $750 per month
OFT Visa Processing Fee: $275
TSA Fees: $130 for each (PPL, IR, CPL)
FAA Examiner Fees: $450 for each (PPL, IR)
Books/Supplies/Headsets: $700 (estimated budget)
Aircraft rental for checkrides: n/a
Fuel Surcharges may apply: n/a

Total = $11265 + A/c rental for checkrides & Fuel surcharges.

(Based on 12months accom at $750mth. Can be done cheaper and is longer than the recommended time.)

Additional Extras UK:-

Flights to US: £350
Class 1 medical: £350
20-25hrs IR with Cabair: £6000
Accommodation at Cabair (3 weeks): £246

Total = £6946 + A/c hire for skills test & license issue?

Total estimate for training = £32,580 + a/c rental for checkrides + fuel surcharges + a/c hire in UK for IR skills test + IR license issue + 10% Contingency.

Is this accurate at all? Anyone got any ideas on what else to budget for??

This isn't a concrete route for me, it's something i've just recently come across so i'm looking into it's suitability. Can anyone with experience offer me some advice? How reliable is the training provider? How proficient is the training? Am i putting myself at a great disadvantage by training in the US? I've heard many negative things about OFT, however, i remain "fairly" optimistic.

Many thanks,

Fs.

BRS_flyer
27th Aug 2008, 01:47
I'm currently a student at OFT albeit not Pro Pilot, only FAA PPL and I would bear the following things in mind:

The OFT provided accomodation is basic and overpriced, If you ask around current students for any spare rooms you should be able to achive accomodation for $450-$600 ish.
The prices quoted on the website are already outdated so contact Adam at OFT to get an up to date quote before making any firm plans. In any case prices are based on minimums (like all flight schools). Typical PPL passing hours are about 60 with 40-50 being dual, extra ground school with your instructor (out of classroom) is also extra.
For an FAA class 3 medical (needed for FAA solo flight) the school sets you up with an excellent and friendly Doctor based at the airfield at a cost of $200
Airspace, regulations and procedures are very different in the US to Europe so even following a JAA syllabus for the CPL you will require familiarisation with UK airspace and this will probably come out of your IR conversion time. The cabair quote of 8000 sterling for IR conversion and MCC is for 10hrs on the aircraft and 10hrs on the sim, but in reality you will probably need far more time in the A/C adding considerable expense to the process.
The ground instuction is excellent and although I havn't been taught by them the JAA ATPL team seem too be nice people, one of which is an acrobatic CFI as well and is one of the most well qualified CFI's in the US.
Other instructors are bye and large a good bunch, but attrition is a problem so expect at least one change of instuctor during a PPL.

MX issues are not bad but not great, do loose a bit of time with this.
Weather in Florida is very inconsistant particually in late summer (now) :ugh:
If you are the type who needs to live somewhere with an active social scene, Kissimmee does not have one! Good range of shops and restaurants though.Hope thats helpful, please pm me if you need any further info

Ste88
27th Aug 2008, 08:16
Hello!Thanks for the information...For Felix Saddler:I have done my budget as u and at this point Total estimate for training = £32,580 + a/c rental for checkrides + fuel surcharges + a/c hire in UK for IR skills test + IR license issue + 10% Contingency.to have a idea i put:Total estimate for training = £32,580 + 20%. Just to try a budget idea with everything above!This is the total:48k€ about!I think is MFC is better the OFT just because in MFC u have a assigned FI and when a fee or fuel charges are modified you are advides a mounth before!MFC uses also the payment way "pay as you go"!It's great in my opinion, I know that the weather is so and so..but starting in spring...And as BRS_flyer sayed also in Florida there are sometimes you have to stop.just an idea!thanks a lot

Kyriakos
27th Aug 2008, 11:15
BRS_flyer u got a pm.