PDA

View Full Version : FAA CPL correspondence courses

awhitecat
26th Aug 2008, 09:15
Is there anybody who can recommend an organization (either in Europe or the USA) who provides correspondence courses for FAA CPL Theory Exams?

Is there anywhere in Europe to sit FAA CPL Exams?

Thankyou

boogie-nicey
26th Aug 2008, 09:50
Hope I haven't got the wrong end of the stick here but I'm led to believe you are want to do the FAA CPL groundschool exam.

Well it's somewhat straight forward and thankfully much cheaper to go about this on the FAA side of the things. The FAA only make you do a single exam which can be booked at an approved testing centre. There's little fanfare and cost involved unlike the burdenous JAA system and you study in your own time and pace in the meantime.

Organisations like KINGS schools offer complete CBT/DVD/Book courses with regards to the FAA CPL. However it's been sometime since I completed my FAA CPL so things might have changed significantly so please don't flame me for it.

Hope that helps.

awhitecat
26th Aug 2008, 10:04
I have looked at their website

King Schools - FAA Exam Prep Software, Pilot Training DVDs, and Pilot Gear (http://www.kingschools.com/ProductDetail.asp?itemNo=ECC%20CPECCD)

Anybody have any ideas on an FAA Test Centre to sit the exam(s) at in Europe?

Thanks.

BernyT
26th Aug 2008, 11:58
there used to be testing facility in Egelsbach (EDFE) near Frankfurt, Contact via www.N-flight.com (http://www.N-flight.com). I just learned that they are closed. This what I just found on their website:
N-flight used to give testing support for FAA Knowledge Test in Germany using CATS.
Together with 32 other international testing centers, our site has been closed following an FAA - AFS 630 resolution restricting testing to non-american candidates outside the United States of America.
Falling under another category, Flight Safety School in Paris and in Farnborough are still authorized to give out FAA Knowledge Test here in Europe.
The test result is valid for 24 calendar months within which time the candidate has the possibility to complete the practical part of the training necessary to secure the intended FAA license.
If you wish to get more information or to register for an FAA Knowledge test, you may contact them at
+33 14 992 1919 Contact Ms. Maud Dubosq France
+44 1 252 554 599 Contact Ms. Clare Barker England

ChrisLKKB
26th Aug 2008, 12:07
I found the Gleim guides an excellent way to learn the IR and Commercial syllabus, they introduce each subject then ask the relevant questions from the FAA question bank and go on to explain why the correct answer is right and why the incorrect options are wrong. IMO, quick, efficient and at around a tenner per book and one book per syllabus it's a very cheap way to pass the exam.

Gleim Publications :: Commercial Pilot FAA Knowledge Test, 2009 Ed. Product Details (http://www.gleim.com/products/productdetails.php?proSell=CPKT)

(some one remind me how much are the large ground schools here charging for their ground school books ? Just kidding I realise there are 14 exams so that would make them 14 times more expensive...wouldn't it :rolleyes: ?)

btw those King videos will drive you nuts :}

boogie-nicey
26th Aug 2008, 16:36
I believe that CATS used to be a name banded around quite a lot. Willowair also do some FAA stuff over at Southend airport and they may even have the CPL ground exam approval. Another one way up at Humberside airport used to be called Soloflight they may still be around and perhaps offer an option to do the FAA CPL ground exam.

Alternatively you can google FAA testing centre and see what turns up. However if you going to do the FAA CPL in the states as a stand alone course surely you'll be over there to do the flight test why not do the ground exam at the same time.

If you have no luck then please contact me .....

MarkerInbound
26th Aug 2008, 21:09
Why use google when you can go straight to FAA.gov?

TelBoy
26th Aug 2008, 22:41
Flight Saftey at Farnborough in Hampshire also do the FAA writtens.

bad_attitude
27th Aug 2008, 05:10
you don't need any sort of training to clear the FAA exams. they are really simple. Get hold of the Gliem series. All the questions which come in the FAA exam are there in the book.

just go through it a couple of times and Bob's your Uncle! :ok::ok::ok: