PDA

View Full Version : Modular considerations

Felix Saddler
25th Aug 2008, 15:18
What are the main concerns when training modularly with regards to license expirations, renewals, and ATPL validity? I'm looking to elongate my training due to financial hardship and need to factor these in. Should I do as much flying as possible until the time is nigh to sit the atpls and steam through the CPL/IR?

I'm looking to do my PPL, NR, ME, and 150 hours part time, this I will spend about 12months on. Then the GS, followed by the CPL/IR full time.

I have £20,000 and will put this towards the PPL, NR, ME, and hour building. However, the aim is to work this year to cover extra expenses and save a bit of cash, then get a loan to partially cover the CPL/IR, and possibly MCC or FI.

Now my questions a simple one; if i'm aiming to do it all in two or three years, in what order of training would be most suitable with regards to my initial paragraph?

Fs.

Nashers
25th Aug 2008, 17:45
you have 3 years from the date of passing your last ATPL exam inorder to get your CPL IR.

i would recommend getting your ppl then go for the ground school. do your hours building and rating after that so all your flying in not spred out. that way your flying improves and you wont get rusty as youve got alot of experiance in a short space of time.

daria-ox
25th Aug 2008, 18:37
I think it is a good idea to do the PPL + NR, then whilst you'll be building up your hours, start the ATPL exams. Then you can do the CPL + ME + IR, or do the ME even before that. After the IR maybe an MCC and FI?

That's how I kind of planned my route and (fingers crossed) hopefully will work out.

Good luck :ok:

Philpaz
25th Aug 2008, 21:53
If cash is an issue hold out on the ME till your at IR stage. An MEIR will save you cash and you dont have to worry about staying current on a big gas guzzler.

Just a thought,

Phil

Felix Saddler
26th Aug 2008, 11:41
Thanks Phil. That wouldn't put me at a disadvantage when it comes to the IR though would it? Familiarity and the like..

Philpaz
26th Aug 2008, 12:00
I'm no expert (just mid PPL myself) but from what i can gather the IR is done, for the most part, in a single complex. Your ME rating is just tagged on the end to allow for the issue of an MEIR rather than an SEIR.
I suppose that having familiarity with the twin would put you at a slight advantage but its the instrument flying that should be focussed on rather than the twin.
There are people on this forum that are in a far better position to comment than I, step forward oh wise ones and bless us with your knowledge!

akindofmagic
26th Aug 2008, 13:29
Your ME rating is just tagged on the end to allow for the issue of an MEIR rather than an SEIR.Not quite true. For the issue of a MEIR, the LST (and indeed the IR course itself) must have been completed in a twin.

Edit: You could certainly do your initial instrument training in a single. However, I would question the value of doing any IR training in a single if your goal is to be issued with a MEIR. It would make much more sense to do all of your IR training on the aircraft type that you are eventually going to do you LST on.

Felix Saddler
26th Aug 2008, 13:44
I'll do the cpl, followed by multi engine, progressing on to the IR.

potkettleblack
26th Aug 2008, 14:13
If you have the cash you could do it all in a twin and never have to go near a complex single with a wobbly prop.

Might seem a bit more expensive but I can assure you that by the time you are doing your IR flying the twin will become 2nd nature. Also its only 1 set of SOP's and 1 POH and aircraft to have to understand. Many courses keep their "headline" advertised costs down by maxing out the number of sim hours and using a single for part of the course. You get minimum time in the aircraft that you will be sitting your test in which invariably leads to more hours needed to be flown or worse of all resits.

Felix Saddler
26th Aug 2008, 15:00
Money is an issue unfortunately. I was quoted £45,000 by stapleford which i find very reasonable.

potkettleblack
26th Aug 2008, 16:14
Have you checked out PAT. Their price lists and what is included is all on their website. I hear that they are now "affiliated" with Flybe as well.