PDA

View Full Version : Corfu

rogerbucks
25th Aug 2008, 12:18
On holiday here, and just wanted to share a quality spotting opportunity for anyone travelling over to this island.

We hired a small boat a couple of days ago from Kontikali (just to the North of Corfu town), and puttered south to the extended centreline of r/w 35, dropped anchor, and had a very enjoyable couple of hours watching heavy metal passing over at about 100'.

Although it was hazy, had the radio tuned in to the tower frequency, so knew in advance what was coming in/going out. The Greeks seem very relaxed about people doing this- was half expecting to be shooed away, but no problems at all. Not quite St.Maartin, but the closest I've got to an approach in a long time.

One tip, take a picnic lunch, as we tried to moor at the nearby jetty, and got told to ****-off in Greek (not the friendliest locals!). You can easily swim (or wade) ashore if required.

Enjoy- not many places left where you can do this methinks.

Rainboe
25th Aug 2008, 13:45
The approach involves a low dog leg. On my first visit, we were established on the approach, getting steadily lower, nice day....and no runway in sight. At 500' I said to the copilot 'look, this is not funny, where the hell is the runway?' He was equally aghast. Then it comes into view around the hill, to great relief. I recalled that on subsequent visits with wry amusement!

The Greeks are quite relaxed about that sort of thing. It seems to stop at airports when you pull out a camera, whereupon you show yourself to be a Turkish spy and will get locked up! On a lovely day at Thessaloniki I was doing the walkaround and took the camera and was taking pictures of the plane when I suddenly remembered..........

General Zod
25th Aug 2008, 15:26
Save yourself the cost of the boat (and any potential sea sickness) by just hanging out on the causeway that goes out into the little church in the middle of the lagoon.

cml387
26th Aug 2008, 21:15
... and isn't there that hotel overlooking the turning pan?

Guest 112233
26th Aug 2008, 21:41
Re Corfu - Aptly named - A few years back I flew BHX CFU with a an air UK outfit in a B737 400 - Dodgy Gen on Dep BHX Shaky vibres - We just kept on going - Flight marked on a Chalk board on way Back - Point of Post - I swear to a Higher Pan/Global Entity that there was a "Deaf" Donkey shackled at the other end of the RWY by the road -not blast protected - am I just dreaming or was it the case - Poor old Sod - Donkey - Not me.

CAT III