PDA

View Full Version : Reasonable price for FI rating?

a797
25th Aug 2008, 11:47
Hi guys,

I'm going down the FI route, and would like to know a reasonable price to obtain a rating in the UK?

I have been quoted 10k sterling which seems excessive to me, would people agree? i was hoping to get done for around 5-7k.

polohippo
25th Aug 2008, 11:56
10k sounds like a complete rip off, which aircraft is it in?? If it's a 152 tell them where to go. I looked at a few schools for mine and they were all 6k (Oct 2007). All in it was 6.5k with test fees etc....

a797
25th Aug 2008, 12:48
Has anyone got experience of the FI rating at Stapleford? Stapleford Flight Centre - Commercial Flight Training - Flight Instructor Rating (http://www.flysfc.com/flightinstructorcommercial.html)

£5999 seems a decent price, anyone know if its a good course?

Polo: where did you do your rating for that price? and would you reccommend it?

cheers

geordiejet
25th Aug 2008, 12:51
£6000 tops I would think. Plus a couple of extras for test, extra lessons. £10,000 is a extreme.

Mickey Kaye
25th Aug 2008, 16:58
Advanced Flight Training at sherburn have a very good reputation and the FI course would set you back six grand. Aircraft used are PA-28 and are well maintained.

Give the guy who runs the joint a call he is a very approachable and will happily discuss what he can offer you. He certainly isn't out to make a fast buck.

daria-ox
25th Aug 2008, 18:39
The flying instructor course will cost you a maximum of 7K, including the exam fees etc. 10K is just a rip off :confused: :eek:

Good luck :ok:

VFE
25th Aug 2008, 19:31
Would love to know who quoted you £10K - please spill the beans!!

VFE.

Spunky Monkey
25th Aug 2008, 20:23
Yeah that sounds daft.

Also more importantly I would suggest you look hard at the quality of instruction.
There are some great instructors out there, who are well respected by the examiners.
They are the people you want to speak to.

There is so much more to instructing than just flying the aircraft.

I did mine at Old Sarum with D.S. and travelled down the country to study with him.

I don't think that there is anybody better in the UK.

Although I think that he is thinking of retiring soon, so better get your skates on if he hasn't already gone.

It cost me less than £6K a couple of years ago. I think it was around £4.5.

Remember an idiot will cost you far more than a K in exam fees and aircraft hire.

Good luck it is top fun, and regulary more fun than flying a jet.

a797
26th Aug 2008, 12:03
I made a mistake as reguards that 10k price, its actually in euros. The quote i got was actually 7500 sterling if there were 3 or more people on the course. If not it would be closer to 8000 sterling. Still very expensive. Thats at Southend flying club: http://www.southendflyingclub.co.uk/fic_course.htm

daria-ox
27th Aug 2008, 07:37
To be honest, that's sounds a lot better than the 10K. 8K.. I wouldn't go for it. Try and find something cheaper. You can get the FI rating for 6K in some schools. Do a little research :ok:

BroomstickPilot
27th Aug 2008, 08:46
Hi Guys,

Spunky Monkey refers to doing his FI with DS at Old Sarum.

Since the sad demise of Old Sarum Flying Club, I am informed that DS is moving to Thruxton and is to be the CFI at Westernair at that location.

Broomstick.

Spunky Monkey
27th Aug 2008, 18:30
Thanks for that Broomstick.

Well that is where you should go to train.

He will not just teach you about the FI course, he will teach you how to fly...properly.

His instruction helped me nail my first jet job...

I rented a place while I did the course and travelled 1/2 way down the country to train.

By far the best bit of flying I have done..."There you go mugsey, now you try"...