PDA

View Full Version : FAI Air Ambulance UN Contract- Any Info ?

l8starter
25th Aug 2008, 09:43
My first post on this Forum, so a very warm hello to all !

I'm based in the UK at the moment, but in the job market (over 6000hrs mostly Emb145), and have been trying to research a German company- FAI rent-a-jet- based in Nurmberg,with,it has to be said, little success ! However, I do know that they have a UN contract based in Abidjan, Ivory Coast.

If anybody in this Forum has any inforamtion on this operation,and company in general, I would be very grateful if they could either share it publically, or PM me.

I have to say, I do dip into this Forum occasionally;and my favourite thread has got to be 'You Know You're in Africa When . . . ' Whenever, I THINK I'm having a bad day, I just have browse, and I feel smiles better !

There are many that wouldn't, and a few that couldn't;respect everyone.

Many thanks,

L8

l8starter
26th Aug 2008, 13:44
If there isn't much in the way of info on the company per se, could anybody give me some (any) general idea of what living in Abidjan/Ivory Coast is like ?

I have 'googled', but an opinion from anyone who is living/working there would be appreciated, preferably an expat ? I don't mean for that sound rude in any way (before someone gets the hump), however, I have worked in Saudi previuosly (not recently), and that was certainly a culture shock for me and my Westernised mind !

I have absolutely no experience of Africa, and I don't know as yet, whether FAI rotate their crews between Nuremberg, Athens and Ivory Coast, or if you could expect a longer posting in any of their bases, or vounteer or what ?

Any offerings gratefully accepted.

Thanks,

L8.

prang one
26th Aug 2008, 16:25
I work out of DRC

I cant help you out in terms of specifics BUT they also have a lear based in Kinshasa ( new contract)

As far as I know all companys rotate crews on UN work ( ie you dont move to africa).

I am on leave at the moment but will ask the crew when I get back and PM you some info.:ok:

l8starter
26th Aug 2008, 17:26
Thanks prang, that will be very much appreciated.

Have a good leave!

L8

Denice
26th Aug 2008, 19:50
Hi everyone

i'm not sure that FAI still have a lear based in kinshasa,
the last time i saw it was quite in bad shape (http://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=20080612-0)
may be they ve replaced it.

MungoP
27th Aug 2008, 08:59
prang one
"As far as I know all companys rotate crews on UN work ( ie you dont move to africa)."

Not quite true... the UN has no policy regarding crew rotations... crew contracts are left up to the contract company to negotiate. It's true that most companies do rotate crews but AirServ Int for eg. employ their crews in country on a long term basis.

Not nitpicking... just in the interests of verisimilitude :}

l8starter
27th Aug 2008, 09:16
Denice, thanks for that - Ouch !

MungoP,

Thanks also for your input, and great word ! Had to look it up, ignoramous that I am.
I get the impression that the UN only use contracters, and local ones at that, which makes it difficult for Europeans to get experience of that kind of work. Have you any personal experience, and/or do you know of any other operators.

Many thanks,

L8

l8starter
27th Aug 2008, 18:49
Thanks for that M5.5- sounds dodgey in the exreme ? But then since I've been in coroprate I've wondered just how clean some people are ?

I don't suppose I could tempt you into a PM with some details ? Howlong did you work for them ? What's it like out of the office, and down route, and at an outstation, and in particular,do you have any experience of the UN contract ?

Thanks in anticipation,

L8