PDA

View Full Version : Towed Radar Decoy On The Typhoon.

TiffyFGR4
25th Aug 2008, 02:42
Hello there =)

Maybe a silly pointless topic to some, sorry if it's a waste of space.

I know one or two things about the Towed Radar Decoy(s) on the Typhoon, how many it has, how long they are, what it's meant to do blah, blah, blah, normal stuff most of us aready know.But I'd like know a bit more about it, how effective it is, is it best used during air to air or air to ground, how much of a good thing is it to have, at what point do you think it'd be deployed etc etc etc.....Basically, your opinions about it really. =)

And, the German Air Force don't use TRD on their Typhoons, yeah?....

Many thanks in advance,
happy chit-chat,
toodle pip for now =D

Fox3snapshot
25th Aug 2008, 02:58
Ohhh dear....:rolleyes:

Dream Land
25th Aug 2008, 03:10
Tiffy, I'm no military expert as can be verified by my previous posts, but this certainly doesn't appear to be a subject meant to be discussed on an open forum, what are your thoughts?

D.L. :cool:

TiffyFGR4
25th Aug 2008, 03:14
Sorry there, just thought it might be something interesting to chat about, just trying to make friendly conversation, as you do. No matter. Thanks anyway.

jayteeto
25th Aug 2008, 03:23
Friendly conversation???? You are asking for information that could help someone defeat our newest aircraft in service!! :eek: Please tell me this is a wind-up.....

TiffyFGR4
25th Aug 2008, 03:37
Well, of course I'm not asking for information "that could help someone defeat our newest aircraft", just maybe something that's not classified. :rolleyes:

Nevermind, forget it...

Load Toad
25th Aug 2008, 05:31
It's a long piece of of tinsel with fairy lights on.

TiffyFGR4
25th Aug 2008, 06:06
Really? Ohhhh thanks for that, that's sorted everything then, that'll give some little spotty angry Afghan sitting in the back of a Toyota pick up waving an AK-47 about something to think about won't it? Those pretty little fairy lights wizzing over my head, have to get some of those for my little crappy two stroke put-put*.........He'll think. :rolleyes: http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/badteeth.gif

Yeller_Gait
25th Aug 2008, 06:45
Tiffy,

Suggest you just delete the thread now, it will stop people posting sarcastic comments that you cannot deal with.

Y_G :ugh:

PPRuNeUser0139
25th Aug 2008, 06:51
I think I can tell you the following without giving too much away.
I was flying the other day with "Stumpy" Gusset - c/s Gannic Red 2 - over mid-Wales when I became aware that my Harley-Pugh Mk 3 "electrical device" was pumping out insistent "engaged" ringtones (Barry Manilow "Could it be magic") from my speaking tube.
"Yikes," I thought, "Airborne Chain Home has got me bang to rights innit.."
Quick as a flash, I put down my Readers Digest and, after warning "Stumpy", I deployed the Toad.. (as we chaps refer to it). This is a half size replica of the Typhoon that station workshops knocked up for us. By the way, it's big enough to carry 6 troops (a role we don't discuss). After unwinding all the cable the Toad was fully deployed and sitting approximately a cable's length behind me. I then selected 'max power' on the device. Jamming my good ear to the speaking tube I could tell from the fading sound of the Airborne Chain Home that the Toad radar cloaking device was working exactly as advertised.
Hope this helps.
sv

*Zwitter*
25th Aug 2008, 09:03
Striker : My orders came through. My squadron ships out
tomorrow, we're bombing the storage depots at
Daiquiri at 18:00 hours. We're coming in from the
North, below their radar.
Elaine : When will you be back?
Striker : I can't tell you that? It's classified.

Jackonicko
25th Aug 2008, 09:58
You do understand why details of defensive equipment and tactics are classified, don't you?

You might also want to think about how much real world experience there might be of Typhoon's TRD, and how often it might be used in peacetime training.

You'd be MUCH better off asking about the generic advantages of having a TRD on any aircraft platform.

You can probably safely assume that Typhoon's TRD is more capable than older equipment, and really that's all you need to know.

Sites like:

Raytheon Company: AN/ALE-50 Towed Decoy System (http://www.raytheon.com/capabilities/products/ale50/)

give a good basic glimpse into TRDs generally.

You might follow up with:

http://www.gao.gov/archive/1997/ns97094.pdf

For $21 you could read 'Effects of Towed-Decoys against an Anti-Air Missile with a Monopulse Seeker' by Jia-Hsin Yeh of the NAVAL POSTGRADUATE SCHOOL at MONTEREY CA. I haven't.....

Effects of Towed-Decoys against an Anti-Air Missile with a Monopulse Seeker - Storming Media (http://www.stormingmedia.us/12/1224/A122403.html)

and there are other papers at places like:

IEEE Xplore - Login (http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/Xplore/login.jsp?url=/iel4/7/6556/00259525.pdf?temp=x)

jwcook
25th Aug 2008, 10:11
Actually I'm interested in one thing, if its not a secret...

I have heard that the decoy is jettisoned when finished with, preferably over a friendly airfield, but I have seen a control panel with a cut and a rewind switch for the TRD:confused:..

So what happens to it when your finished with it. dropped or rewind, or is it a choice in certain situations.

Cheers

D O Guerrero
25th Aug 2008, 10:54
I was just hoping for a bit of chit chat about Trident? Can anyone tell me the method of deployment and possibly the current target list? Just for interest you understand.
Toodle-pap.

Load Toad
25th Aug 2008, 11:21
So what happens to it when your finished with it. dropped or rewind, or is it a choice in certain situations.

On the dashboard just below the cup holder is a Penn International Torque Star Drag fishing reel. I'll leave you to work out the rest.

jwcook
25th Aug 2008, 11:55
TiffyFGR4

You'd be better off here Unofficial Typhoon website (http://typhoon.starstreak.net/Eurofighter/defences.html) its a little out of date at the moment.

Its pitched more at your level, and won't get serving members in trouble :ok:

Cheers

TiffyFGR4
25th Aug 2008, 17:15
Yeah, I understand details of defensive equipment and tactics are classified, it wasn't my intention to get anyone to spill the beans about anything that would get anyone into trouble, (Although it may have seemed like that, I should've explained my first post better, but I can asure you it wasn't), I wouldn't do anything like that.

Thank you Jackonicko, jwcook, that's helpful.

Cheers.

iccarus
25th Aug 2008, 18:02
The universe is laughing behind your back.

Being stupid is its own reward.

Etc, etc, etc

Tightflester
25th Aug 2008, 18:03
I hope you are all aware that Tiffy-GR4 is Air Chief Marshal Sir Glenn Torpy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glenn_Torpy).
The poor chap couldn’t afford the user guide for the Typhoon AND modifications to Nimrod, so he’s only trying to find out how it works. Please don’t be too hard on him; he’s only trying to do the best with the budget he’s given.
Tiffy, I checked on Ebay for you, sorry sir, can’t find a user guide there.
Have you thought of buying one of the pc simulator games and using that manual?

Jimmy Macintosh
25th Aug 2008, 19:31
Bizzarely enough I had never heard of it before. Now I'm curious enough to go and find out.

Seems pointless to me though, it's an aggressive aircraft what does it need defensive equipment for? Waste of payload if you ask me.

Pure Pursuit
25th Aug 2008, 20:31
Quite right.

I'll ask them to leave the chaff & flares at home too.:rolleyes:

LowObservable
25th Aug 2008, 20:34
Not sure that this mob assault on the original poster is justified. After all, we all know that there's a big gap between what you'll find in the obvious places (MoD or BAE websites) and what is actually classified, so if anyone could point the guy in the general direction of some unclass information...

I will say that I was at a conference not long ago where it was observed (a little smugly) by an EF guy that they had at least put the TRD in the right place, an observation confirmed by a Super Hornet guy who was clearly wondering which Sparky had decided to put the Rhino TRD cable next to the jet exhausts.

FlightTester
25th Aug 2008, 21:21
I will say that I was at a conference not long ago where it was observed (a little smugly) by an EF guy that they had at least put the TRD in the right place, an observation confirmed by a Super Hornet guy who was clearly wondering which Sparky had decided to put the Rhino TRD cable next to the jet exhausts.

Well you can sort of see where they were going by putting the cable along the aircraft xcg (F18), rather than putting it way out on the ycg (EF) - 100m cable, big mass weight on the end, rolling scissors, etc. But, no in hindsight extending a kevlar cable out behind the exhausts probably isn't going to work very well!

barnstormer1968
26th Aug 2008, 10:50
Basically the idea of a towed radar decoy looks good on paper, but in a combat situation it cannot be operated on any British aircraft in the UK.

You seem to be aware of many of the Typhoons capabilities, and thus I'm sure you will be well aware of it's stall speed. Now if we compare the Typhoons minimum airspeed before departure (stalling) to that of the maximum towing speed in the UK (60mph), you will instantly see a serious flaw!:E

The method I think we will actually employ is very similar to the concept the Americans will use (for decoying) with JSF. We will just sell a lower spec version of Typhoon to some of our allies and let them soak up any incoming missiles first.:ok:

Barnstormer1968

OK OK it's only banter, but to be serious, it's great to see that you actually have real pride in British equipment and want to find out as much as you can about what we use/will use. BUT, as you have already realised, even if each reply even gave one word of truth about TRD's then some nasty fellow somewhere would just sit and read until he had all the info he needed to destroy any advantage we may have..

BEagle
26th Aug 2008, 11:40
From what I recall from the excellent EWO course I did 15 years ago, fitting a TRD to every FW military air platform which might venture close to sausage-side is a Very Good Thing if the opposition have anything more modern than sharpened guava halves with which to threaten!

I'm not sure whether it would feasible on a RW platform and am not going to ask!

chris_tivver
26th Aug 2008, 12:02
It's a long piece of of tinsel with fairy lights on.

Thanks God you didn't say what colour the fairy lights are. Can't go giving the frequency info away

As to original OP, I can provide you with all the info you are looking for by e-mail.

However I will need to confirm that you are authorised to receive all this information first. Essentially I need to confirm you are a Brit, so just so that I can confirm this over the internet: Please PM me with your

passport number
Number of an account held at a British bank
Number of a UK credit card
Company employing you
Salary and pay-day

Oh and as a final check, the PIN number for all your credit and debit cards.

Thanks

VinRouge
26th Aug 2008, 13:27
He doesnt have to; all you have to do is buy a second hand computer off ebay and get millions of uk citizens details free with the computer