PDA

View Full Version : The training choice is tough!!!

MalteseFalcon1
25th Aug 2008, 02:10
Hi all,
I am 31yrs old and looking at flying for a career, hopefully corporate. I'm having a hard time deciding between the following;
Heading off to the U.S and study full time possibly at PEA, JET University or Epic.
Staying in AUS and completing a diploma course possibly Australian Wings Academy, ANAC or GFS. I've emailed a few places, and received replies from JET U and AWA.

From Jet U;
The price for the new part 141 based on 156 hrs –( Pvt./IFR/CPL/M/E ) is $38,000

From AWA;
Basic Diploma Fee AUD$64,756
Fuel Surcharge due to high oil prices AUD$ 2,230
Garmin 1000 glass cockpit option for advanced training AUD$ 4,470ATPL frozen (optional) AUD$3,900

Obviously, I'd have to add housing/living expenses to the above
If anyone has advice for me, it would be greatly appreciated.

Steve

redsnail
25th Aug 2008, 12:02
Maltese Falcon,

Yes it's a tough one. Where do you intend to work after you get your license?
The FAA ticket is fine for most corporate jobs around the world, however, for Europe and probably Australia, the JAA and CASA lic are required.

One thing to consider, if you get your FAA CPL, Virgin Blue will require all CASA exams to be done, not a bridging course. Bear that in mind.

The Australian corporate market is tiny compared to the US. You'll need a lot of contacts and hours for Australia.

MalteseFalcon1
25th Aug 2008, 14:23
Thanks for the reply redsnail,
I am considering staying in the States after my training (if I am able to with some sort of visa) or moving to Europe (I have dual citizenship AUS/EU). Depending on the wife of course, I'm pretty lucky in having a very, very understanding and loving wife.

I think you're right about the corporate market in Aus, plenty of hours needed and a pocket full of contacts. You pretty much need to know someone who knows someone else who's leaving a company, just to get a look in.

Steve

redsnail
25th Aug 2008, 14:31
MF,

If you can get hold of a green card sort of thing then the US makes a lot of sense esp with the corporate market.

In Europe, the corporate market has accelerated beyond belief but it looks like it's stabilising to a 10% or so growth per annum. if you can live in Europe and fly an N reg aircraft then that's not a bad way in but there's some grumblings about folks still needing a JAA/EASA/Whatever license. If you think the Aus one's exy, sit down before reviewing the European prices. They'll make your eyes water!

The Australian license isn't a bad one overall, but as you know the corp market is very tight. I think there's been a bit of a slow down in Oz but there's still a lot more opportunities available now than when I was starting out 20 years ago.