PDA

View Full Version : Female pilots at Air Vietnam

aca-98
23rd Aug 2008, 09:12
Currently flying as Captain on A320 and am thinking of trying for Air Vietnam. Do they consider females?

Thanks.

olepilot
23rd Aug 2008, 09:48
Yes, there are both female capt and fo here already

RoosterChange
23rd Aug 2008, 10:22
There is no "Air Vietnam" anymore. Between 1951 and 1975 a south Vietnamese carrier with that name was operating and by the way many, many Americans where employed with them too.:rolleyes:

I guess you mean "Vietnam Airlines", right?

NVpilot
23rd Aug 2008, 11:46
Yes and all the information you will ever need will be found here:http://www.pprune.org/south-asia-far-east/295663-vietnam-airlines-info-please.html

:D

aca-98
25th Aug 2008, 02:33
You are right, I meant Vietnam Airlines. I wrote the post after a "red eye" but thank you for the answers. I will look into it.

jumpdrive
25th Aug 2008, 14:04
i think theres only 3 in total
plus the 1st local gal still in ground school:ok:

ACMS
25th Aug 2008, 15:09
Surely there must be better options for you than Vietnam airlines?

Can't you go to Emirates?

B737NG
25th Aug 2008, 17:17
Why do you choose Asia as a Female? Do you want to change the World? Except in India you can count the Fingers you have on both hands and you have less Female Pilots in that region in one Airline. Command? difficult to achieve there. It is a Male dominated society in Key positions in most of the Company´s there. Just research a little more before you go that path. On the other side you might not even get a response to your application, another way of letting you know "We are not interested".....

Females have the same position as Males and get paid less and promotion is slower then that of Males. I have seen that in the Cockpit as well as in the Cabin. It allways amazed me how fast Male-FA´s got Pursers and how slow Female-FA´s got promotet until they have the same Rank and Wage. It is still nice to have a pretty young female in the Cabin in Asia. Needless to say that I rather like to work with the over 35 year old ones who fly about 10 and more years then the Barbie-Doll like 22 Year young Kid who cannot handle herself, how can she handle a bunch of Pax who tend to become vocal and tell them to behaive and "shut up, sit down and be quiet?".....90 seconds to survive is something they have not adopet to as well.

Emirates, Quatar and Etihad I guess are more open minded then Far-East and South-East Asia. Just look a little more into it and then you may find what you want: Flying Airplanes and no hassle....

Fly safe and land happy

NG

Dream Land
26th Aug 2008, 02:07
B737NG, no disrespect but with reference to the contractors in Vietnam, the airline treats women as equals, indeed one of the most powerful influences in the Airbus fleet is female. :eek:

Cheers, D.L.

controlledCHAOS
26th Aug 2008, 23:24
post deleted by mod

stardustcologne
26th Aug 2008, 23:49
Puh, I cannot imagine how to have a happy life in Arab as a female. Maybe working is quite okay in any of these companies, I don't know. Maybe money is quite okay.
But what about the life outside of a cockpit? What do you do in you private time?

Okay, tell me I should shut my mouth because I did't work there and I don't know by myself. But I have several ex-colleagues who went there (Emirates, Etihad, Qatar...), they were all male. They miss the way of life they could have in Europe or even in Asia. And there are some who were treated not very orthodox. They did't come via any agency but their working contract changed as the wheather in Europe. And when they complained about it, they were told that they just can leave whenever they want to. At least that's what I was told, and it was told by people I know by myself and I trust them.
I don't want to blacken the picture of life over there and I am sure there are a lot of people (pilots) who are lucky to be there and they are happy. But you have to think twice. For myself I would consider these companies only as a last solution.

For myself I have spent overnights in Arab cities and our female crew members could not leave the hotel without wearing these whole-body-covers. They were spit on the streets because one could see blond-coloured hair out of the head-cover.

Is it the way of life you would suggest for the female captain applicant?

And I have spent overnights in Asian cities where everyone could move without any disturbances. I learned people from south Asian countries as open minded and warmly people.

The problem with male dominated companies is true and is wide spread. You have it even in Europe. I once worked for a European company where only two female pilots were employed. Not very sophisticated, is it? But these two female pilots didn't have any problems, they felt comfortable there. Maybe it is just a lack of applications of female pilots. But this is a social and educational problem - not of the airline environment.

As a female I would always choose Arab companies as the very last.

sec 3
27th Aug 2008, 02:06
You said it yourself cologne, you havn't experienced it, so you shouldn't comment on it:confused: You obviously know nothing about the lifestyle of females in the ME.

B737NG
27th Aug 2008, 07:02
I worked 2 Years in ME and 8 Years in Far-East, SouthEast Asia and India. I seen things with my own Eyes not only form a overnight or vaccation at the Beach. That is not sufficient evidence... I guess.

Fly safe and land happy

NG

aca-98
27th Aug 2008, 17:38
Thank you for all of your responses which I have read with great interest. As for trying to change the world by considering Asia....absolutely not, that would indeed be a futile undertaking.
To a degree I can judge what it means to work in very male dominated environment as I am currently contracting for an airline where there are all of two females, both of us captains but I am the only expat. While my presence was certainly unusual, I have been very well received and, so far, I have very much enjoyed working with all of my colleagues.
As was mentioned, any airline that I apply to will let me know if they are interested by responding and, if not, there will be no response. Quite simple.

Lost in Saigon
28th Aug 2008, 00:36
Surely there must be better options for you than Vietnam airlines?

Can't you go to Emirates?

I know a husband and wife who were both employed by a major North American airline as pilots. They both quit so that the husband could be hired by Emirates in 2003. He told me they don't hire female pilots at Emirates.

Has that changed?

ssangyongs
28th Aug 2008, 03:25
aca 98, why not air asia. they have one brit mama on payroll, a captain. on A320. possible upgrade to A330 on CCQ basis. About $10,000 per month.

KRUGERFLAP
28th Aug 2008, 04:22
WE do have in the sandpit female pilots flying for Air Arabia,Emirates ,Etihad,Gulf Air and Qatar

Dream Land
28th Aug 2008, 04:31
We have a female pilot here that was the first female to be offered a position at Emirates. :ooh:

KRUGERFLAP
28th Aug 2008, 04:45
Only Kalina? WOW

violet08
31st Aug 2008, 01:11
OK, I'm also considering a job flying outside the US...I work for a major airline and will be furloughed in September. There are NO aviation jobs to be had in the US now, and even when the industry recovers, who knows how long one can expect to keep their job once they are recalled. All I want is to have a stable career, flying good aircraft, making decent pay for the next 10-15 years with the same carrier. Is that too much to ask? I have the ratings, I have the flight time, but the jobs have all but dried up. It is either change careers, stay in the US, and hope the industry recovers OR leave home to fly. Oh, I too am a female pilot, with no agenda.

Dream Land
31st Aug 2008, 04:08
Violet,

Suggest you register at some of the larger contract agencies and check out the offers, if you see something that interests you I would advise making contact directly to crews already working at that location, don't jump into a contract without doing your homework.

Tony Hirst
31st Aug 2008, 18:32
I'm hearing female voices using the Vietnam Airlines callsign and noticing a few with other Asian airlines as well as colleagues of mine too.

NG_Kaptain
31st Aug 2008, 19:41
Vietnam Airlines used to have a Canadian female captain. Isn't there anymore.

ecureilx
1st Sep 2008, 06:27
My short foray in DXB gave an impression that women had everything equal as men. And men had anything they wanted :oh:

Maybe I didnt step into the 'locals only' quarters .. which is there in almost every country. The rest of the country seemed to be merry and happy and quite Gay !!!

Why would a foreigner step into such locality in any case ??

Anyway, DXB has to be experienced, to believe what you hear.

RoosterChange
2nd Sep 2008, 02:15
TRI from ?(maybe England but Africa actually Vietnam)I thought she is chiefpilot?

bob_bowne
3rd Sep 2008, 02:35
Well she is actually Canadian Vietnamese and training as a local pilot on the A320 now!:ok:

Utrinque
7th Sep 2008, 14:45
There are two expat female captains on the A320. There are two female expat FOs on the A320. One of the captains got the upgrade after joining as an FO.