PDA

View Full Version : What commercial pilot logbook?

EchoKiloEcho
22nd Aug 2008, 09:02
I am starting my CPL / IR / ME next week and I still have a dodgy old ICAO PPL logbook and would like to know what will be the best logbook to buy to start logging my commercial flying?

I was thinking of ordering the 'Jeppesen Professional Pilot LogBook European JAR-FCL'?

Any advice?

CirrusF
22nd Aug 2008, 09:10
Yes, get the Jeppesen.

Zyox
22nd Aug 2008, 09:24
Seconded. Have it myself for JAA stuff and it's a nice logbook.

No column for simulated IFR time in aircraft, but you can work around it :)

Funkie
22nd Aug 2008, 09:56
When I started my CPL/IR, I did exactly the same thing - got me a proper log book.

Ended up going for the Pooley's professional. It has all the standard column's you need plus Multi-Pilot, Multi-Engine, Night, IFR, PIC, Co-Pilot, IF and NAV. Also has a decent section at the front for sim work - though I only used it for the IR.

Have a look here... Logbook at Pooleys (http://www.pooleys.com/prod_detail.cfm?product_id=40)

Most of the guys I fly with these days all have electronic log books, even the old dinosaur's..... Maybe I should catch up with them!!

Best of luck with the CPL/IR - it's bloody hard work, but great fun! :ok:

bad_attitude
22nd Aug 2008, 10:02
Go for Jepessen. No questions asked.

G SXTY
22nd Aug 2008, 10:12
I'd also recommend an electronic logbook. It's a useful backup in case your paper one gets lost, and very handy for dividing up different types of hours for job applications.

I use Safelog, but there are others out there.

EchoKiloEcho
22nd Aug 2008, 10:46
I have my flights logged in a excel spreadsheet I built. Is that good enough or is it better to buy some software?

I will probably buy the Jeppesen logbook. My ICAO logbook does not even have flight times etc. Not very detailed, so I need a new one for my professional flying anyway.

Is it possible to just log your flights with the software, or do you need a hard copy legally?

ChrisLKKB
22nd Aug 2008, 12:48
Electronic log books sound very sensible. There's nothing worse than having to hand copy out a log book for one reason or another or finding out you've screwed up and have to get the tippex out because your hours don't tally.
I'd imagine the draw back would be when it comes to getting an examiners signature in the log.

CirrusF
22nd Aug 2008, 13:01
I enter everything in an electronic log. I let it do the calculations, then transcribe the results into the Jeppesen logbook at home. Keeps everything neat - no tippexed out miscalculations and no scrawly, hurried entries when you're shagged after a long flight.

DB6
22nd Aug 2008, 13:03
Best logbook I ever had was the Pooleys GA logbook - same size as PPL but twice as thick. Can't get them now so had to go for the Professional one (NBL035 in the Pooleys catalogue), but avoid JAR format as there is a tremendous amount of crap in there. Also beware the CAA one as you can't log multi time separately, believe it or not.

Mikehotel152
22nd Aug 2008, 15:10
This is going to sound naff, but I am currently experimenting with the Facebook Pilots' Logbook. :O

I hate my current Pooleys JAR-FCL logbook. It's nearly A4 in size, weighs too much and the columns are pretty odd. Still, it's full of memories...

When I get my first job I'll get something more sophisticated for online records and a further paper logbook into which I shall transcribe my flight details.

BerksFlyer
22nd Aug 2008, 15:29
CAA CAP 407: CAA Personal Pilots Logbook CAP 407 (http://www.transair.co.uk/product4.asp?SID=2&Product_ID=1073)

EchoKiloEcho
23rd Aug 2008, 10:38
Facebook pilots logbook :ok: Now that sounds interesting! Let me know when it is operational.

Just ordered the Jeppesen logbook online. Will be here next week.

FougaMagister
23rd Aug 2008, 11:09
I also got the Jeppesen JAR-FCL compliant logbook when I started flying commercially. Nothing wrong with it. But I also recommend having a backup, i.e. a computer logbook. They have a number of useful features and some are JAA-approved too, so you can send printouts to the CAA or a use them for interviews, it looks nicer than the hand-written one (which is still good to have). Just make sure you get the Jeppesen logbook with white, not green pages!

Cheers :cool:

MartinCh
24th Aug 2008, 07:04
What are the cons of ASA International pilot logbook or the thicker 'master' logbook? I'm planning to fly more in the US, Canada or elsewhere than in the UK on the fixed wing side of my flying, so as it says it's JAR compliant, it should be fine, right?

I know there are many who have CAP407 or Jepp, just curious about the feedback about these two I mentioned. These ASA logbooks are supplied by a store in the UK as well (though much dearer than if bought in the US, guess like with many things..).

I decided to use BGA logbook for gliding and I have ASA basic/standard log from heli flying but I should get something 'serious' as I don't fancy one too many logbooks 'lying around' as evidence (I do plan to use online logbook as a backup once I start to do more flying)

Cheers

DB6
24th Aug 2008, 07:17
CAP 407 is no good since, as previously stated, it doesn't have separate single and multi engine columns. Airlines etc commonly ask how much multi time you have so unless you want to dissect your logbook every time you have to answer that, give it a wide berth.

nbv4
14th Sep 2008, 04:59
I had a small 40 page logbook when I was a student that I used for all my training flights and for various signoffs. Once I started my job as a CFI, I knew that little book would fill up fast, so I just stopped adding flights to it. By that time I already had been keeping track of my flights digitally. Now whenever I need a signoff or training where an instructor needs to sign my logbook, I use that little paper logbook, but for everything else, I just use my digital logbook (http://flightlogg.in)).

So basically I have a "signature required" logbook that only has stuff where a signature is required, and a "every flight" logbook where I log everything.

pipertommy
14th Sep 2008, 08:37
Anyone got an opinion on Transair`s Professional Pilot log book?

MIKECR
14th Sep 2008, 11:38
What electronic logbooks are folks using? My GA logbook is just about full and I need to buy something new. I want to get a proper Pro paper logbook but also want a back up electronic one. Any ideas?

GS-Alpha
14th Sep 2008, 17:17
I use PilotLog - the online log book program for professional pilots (http://www.pilotlog.co.uk)

nbv4
14th Sep 2008, 19:17
What electronic logbooks are folks using? My GA logbook is just about full and I need to buy something new. I want to get a proper Pro paper logbook but also want a back up electronic one. Any ideas?

There seems to be about 50 or so electronic logbook programs out there. I suggest you find one that doesn't have a "free trial" link anywhere or is otherwise is not free, at least to start off. Theres only two that I know of, logshare.com and flightlogg.in that are free, but those are website based. If you want a program to run on your computer, I don't know. I'd rather have the info stored somewhere other than my PC, incase my hard drive dies or something. But thats just me.

I used Logshare for about 2 years and it was all I ever needed. Then I discovered flightloggin and switched over since it has a lot more features, and a currency calculator that actually takes into consideration category and type (unlike logshare). Also keep in mind that many of these programs and sites are aimed at an American audience, so if you're from europe or somewhere else, you have to find one that caters to your country's regulations.