PDA

View Full Version : New Aerodrome in Johor, near Singapore

Sonic69
22nd Aug 2008, 08:28
Hello fellow aviation enthusiasts from southern Malaysia and Singapore.

Currently, many of us fly from Senai Airport, Johor, and a couple of other temporary places. However, due to many challenges (congestion, impermanent facilities, politicking etc. to name a few) I'm sure we are frustrated with trying to just go flying as and when we want to.

It surprises me also that the only official aerodromes in the State of Johor are Muar, Mersing, Segamat and Senai. Surely there is room for at least 1 or 2 more closer to Singapore!

I would like to try to use this platform to establish a new privately owned/run aerodrome that is as accessible as Senai for Singaporeans but without the hassle of jostling for airspace with commercial traffic and burning fuel on the ground waiting for ATC clearance.

Let us all work together with focused effort to establishing a premier airpark in the south that all Malaysia will look upon as a model.

For a start, we already have an established approved club ready and willing to liase with DCA with regards to airport standards and all other paperwork. We are currently looking for suitable locations south of latitude 1 deg 50'. This stretches from Batu Pahat in the West, to Sedili Kechil in the East. Of course, the closer to Singapore the better. Places to focus on are Batu Pahat, Benut, Simpang Renggam, Pontian Kechil, Desaru, Sebana Cove resort area, Pekan Nanas etc.

Anyone with leads to local govt willing to sell/lease land for this purpose, land owners willing to sell/lease land, plantation owners willing to rent their private airstrips for club use etc. please help us help you to create an enduring, vibrant, cohesive aviation community free from bull****, that we all can be proud of.

Left Wing
22nd Aug 2008, 09:38
FINALLY GA in Singapore...this is exciting !...any more info on this..may be a website

Skybound79
22nd Aug 2008, 15:29
Very exciting development indeed! :ok:

veloo maniam
22nd Aug 2008, 16:04
What I would suggest is that u talk to DCA first
since u are willing to liase.That portion of the airspace
is crowded with air force and vfr movements on both sides.
Maybe u should also talk to the guys operating out of
Slim Rivers BRA (Bernam river Adr) for the airpark concept.
Maybe u have I am not sure but whatever it is I would
strongly suggest that u talk to DCA first. It is good concept
though but as an ATCler I would like to see high VFR
safety stds being enforced.Do it professionally. Quite often
I see Capt Siva of EAA visiting the Centre and talking
about VFR movements. Maybe u should contact him.
my two cents:ok:

BedakSrewet
23rd Aug 2008, 02:23
How about Batu Puteh......;)

Sonic69
25th Aug 2008, 08:57
Yes, thanks for the direction. Have been in contact with Capt Siva.

Nobody has any leads?

Sonic69
25th Aug 2008, 09:19
Left wing,

Lol... :}. Thanks for your effort. In this case, lets just say that all is not as it seems.

Left Wing
25th Aug 2008, 09:23
:eek::eek::eek::eek:...Sonic69...im not conected to this in any way !...:=:=:=

Sonic69
25th Aug 2008, 09:33
...Sonic69...im not conected to this in any way !...

Dude, relax. That's not what I meant. I'm sorry you interpreted it like that.

What I meant was I know The Flying Club. They don't even own or have a single aircraft to operate yet, but they sure know how to set up a website! haha

I didn't want to say the words "con job" on the forum, but it looks like I just did. Them, not you.

Are we square? Peace, bro. :ok:

bigman122
25th Aug 2008, 10:10
Hi Sonic69, Veloo,

You are absolutely right! :ok:There is definately a need for a airfield which should be away from Senai, and no doubt about high standard of VFR and operations.. I believe there is one near Nusajaya, but i heard the landowner is not keen to promulgate it, and it is very low profile as well.

Futhermore, i have friends telling me that the people running the show there are a bunch of idiots. They crash an aircraft and is not reported, many mircolights sitting on the ground as the guy has no capabilities to service them. What a pity, what a shame!

If there is a proper land or airfield you can find and develop near Singapore, and with SERIOUS interest and effort, I am sure proper aviation is possible in Malaysia.

Sonic69
26th Aug 2008, 03:40
with SERIOUS interest and effort, I am sure proper aviation is possible in Malaysia.

Bigman122, are you so confident in saying this? Interest and effort on whose part? There are many serious and interested aviators trying to make aviation work in Malaysia, but it takes only 1 screwed up intervention by DCA to set GA back to the 1960s level.

Lets discuss just 2 issues.
1. What is being done to increase the number and quality of Flying Instructors in the Schools as well as the Clubs?
2. What is being done to increase the number and quality of LAEs in Malaysia?

If Malaysian citizens are not willing to take up these 2 vocations, why can't DCA open the door and allow foreign nationals to train in and be licenced in Malaysia?

Left Wing
26th Aug 2008, 05:46
the so called flying schools leave a lot to be desired....APFT, HM, etc etc... DCA could really promote GA and grab this market away from Australia....right now the cheapest and way to do GA flying is in Aus

Sonic69
26th Aug 2008, 07:50
You are absolutely right. FTOs from Australia, India, China and even Japan have been making overtures to Malaysian clubs and schools in the last few years. DCA just cannot see the benefit to themselves and GA in Malaysia to seize the opportunity. Latest I've heard is that the Kota Baru academy is setting up a flying club to cater to predominantly foreign clientele. They will be attracting the last few PPL Instructors left in the country with very attractive pay package. If this happens, you can say adios to every other flying club left in Malaysia.

CAPTAIN WOOBLAH
26th Aug 2008, 09:35
Well said all,

The level of red tape and dare I say it the recalcitrant attitude of DCA has for years stifled the fledgling Malaysian GA industry. Additionally There seems to be a shortage of Avgas at most fields.

I am sure there are many airline pilots that would love to do some part time instructing and get involved in the sport aspect of GA. and could contribute substantially to IFR training and standards.

But alas it seems to be that only the rich and privileged that seem to bypass the system with their tax haven registrations. it really would be good to see the masses involved and a robust charter and sport aviation community develop and thrive.

Go for it guys, :D

Wooblah

veloo maniam
27th Aug 2008, 06:33
Why not visit Johor Tower.Go and chat with the
Ctlers. They may offer some valuable suggestion.:ok:

Left Wing
28th Aug 2008, 02:57
http://www.wingsoverasia.com/article.php/20080612092511989

a good attempt to get locals excited about aviation...:ok:

CodyBlade
28th Aug 2008, 06:40
I visited Jhr Twr.Very helpful bunch of guys and girls.

thenakedpilot
28th Aug 2008, 12:36
Hi Sonic69,

The Flying Club HAS aircrafts coming in by end of the year, when the club is up in Senai. They are new Diamond DA40s, C172s coming in. Even the new Skycatchers are coming but that's a long waiting list for that.

We have been opened for membership since February, so if anyone who's interested in a membership, can contact me.

Cheerios

SmileAirlines
28th Aug 2008, 16:16
Sonic69,

Nice to hear that there are some enthusiastic people in Malaysian GA scene... I got my PPL from Senai years ago when the traffic is still not so heavy and GA flying in Malaysia was very enjoyable... I wish you all the best!!

thenakedpilot,
The Flying Club HAS aircrafts coming in by end of the year, when the club is up in Senai. They are new Diamond DA40s, C172s coming in. Even the new Skycatchers are coming but that's a long waiting list for that.

We have been opened for membership since February, so if anyone who's interested in a membership, can contact me.Hopefully the new venture will work out...

Just to let you know, your sales people in the last Singapore Airshow were atrocious at best.. They kept blabbering about how good the club houses in Seletar and Senai will be, but when asked about the most important part of the club, the airplanes, they know nothing more than the most basic specs... If I'm going to pay that much for a membership, I'll be more interested in what airplanes that I'm going to fly... not how good is the lounge in the clubhouse...

JA

Left Wing
29th Aug 2008, 00:53
If I'm going to pay that much for a membership, I'll be more interested in what airplanes that I'm going to fly... not how good is the lounge in the clubhouse...

....had the same thing last week..when their rep visited me...just awful.....had to tell them...I DONT CARE ABOUT A POOL AND BAR IN SENAI....i have that right here in SIN....but then the corp pitch is get people excited about the club house...pulled out my post about their web site ! :=

Sonic69
29th Aug 2008, 01:47
Suffice to say their target market is not the true blue aviator.

But, its good to hear that their aircraft will be arriving by year end. i'll be waiting with baited breath. :D

Left Wing
29th Aug 2008, 01:51
:mad:i'll be waiting with baited breath DONT ! was told 35k to use the "club house" in Senai or no access to the a/c......:ugh::{.....

ssangyongs
29th Aug 2008, 04:52
thenakedpilot,

let me know if you need any instructors. I have a list in my pocket. Brief me about the pay too.

Sonic69
29th Aug 2008, 07:01
:} Thank goodness I didn't say I'll be holding my breath!

mahi
29th Aug 2008, 07:45
Hi,
I would appriciate if you can kindly give me the details of any FAA CFI to get current on my faa license in singapore.

Thanks
Regards
Mahi

Sonic69
29th Aug 2008, 08:09
FAA Flight Instructors in Thailand (http://www.thaiflyingclub.com/linkfaaflightinstructor.html)

Don't know any in SIngapore, but a few in Thailand. Check out the above link.