PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading on Virgin

geraintw
21st Aug 2008, 21:56
No, this isn't a thread about how do I get a free upgrade :}

I was on a budget when I booked to fly to Orlando this coming Monday, so I'm heading out in Cattle Class and coming home in Premium Economy. The idea of 9 hours with no leg room made me change my mind, so I phoned Virgin today to be told to upgrade out the outbound leg, would cost me £1165!!

Therefore I was wondering if any frequent flyers know if it is cheaper or possible to upgrade at Gatwick on the day? I'd rather pay than use my FF points as i'm saving up to go to Sydney with them!

Cheers

manintheback
22nd Aug 2008, 08:21
Hit and Miss. I have upgraded at Gatwick for far less than the normal ticket price and have also been quoted more to upgrade at check-in than if I had just brought the ticket well in advance in the first place. I assume it depends on loads

geraintw
22nd Aug 2008, 11:02
Cheers!

I'll give it a go then, see what I can get out of them.

Globaliser
22nd Aug 2008, 15:31
I have heard it said that Virgin Atlantic does "buy on board" upgrades (like BA does). I'm not altogether sure whether my information is accurate, but it may be worth approaching the senior cabin crew member on board to ask, discreetly, immediately after boarding.

VS-LHRCSA
22nd Aug 2008, 15:51
When I did Virgin Check In, there were usually 1-2 of us allocated purely to sourcing upgrades. We would comb the queue proactively asking if people would like to purchase an upgrade. Sometimes we even had 2-1 offers. I can't give you an exact figure but I never saw a fare over £400 for one sector Economy to Premium Economy. Get there early and give it a shot. If you see someone running around with a clipboard, chances are that's your man.

geraintw
22nd Aug 2008, 18:01
I'll stand in the queue and smile sweetly then :p Just hope my train's not late!

ryansf
24th Aug 2008, 15:21
When I upgraded at JFK, it cost me £250 to go up to premium eco. I asked at the check-in desk and he directed me to a payment desk, where I received a receipt which I then took back to him.

MissTheo
26th Aug 2008, 12:51
I'm crew for virgin and upgrades on board are available. It costs £300 to move from Economy to Premium one way fact!

DistantRumble
26th Aug 2008, 16:58
and what about Upper Class :O

VAFFPAX
27th Aug 2008, 01:02
Upgrading to UC usually not done from what I understand, unless there are only very few UC pax, PE and EC are full, and there's a standby list. According to my source, in that case VS would encourage PE pax to upgrade to UC to fill the plane up...

But my source could be wrong on that. MissTheo? Comment?

S.

Leezyjet
27th Aug 2008, 17:47
BoB upgrages are avail to J too, but only if there are enough meals available !!.

:)

geraintw
5th Sep 2008, 21:00
Thanks for the advice guys. Upgraded at LGW for much cheaper than I thought. It was well worth the upgrade, I don't think I could've flown all that way in 60A - got a nice seat in 70K and nobody next to me.

Very impressed with the Airbus home from JFK, always booked so i'd end up on a 744. First time on one, much quieter and the all leather PE was impressive.

Shame Virgin still haven't sussed out about tagging the cases in JFK so they come off first in LHR, but you can't have everything :}

PAXboy
5th Sep 2008, 22:08
Sounds good but would you like to clarify Upgraded at LGW for much cheaper than I thought ...££ ??
I agree that the new PE is very pleasant.

MissTheo
9th Sep 2008, 16:37
As far as I remember upgrades on board cost the following.

Y-W £300
W-J £1000
Y-J £1300

I've never done an upgrade but was taught about them during my service training...of course subject to availability