PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Nigeria

sevenforeseven
20th Aug 2008, 15:32
Just heard Sir Richard Branson is to sell his 49% in Virgin Nigeria and concentrate on his core longhaul airline, VS.
Anyone know more?

toscana24
20th Aug 2008, 17:27
Am currently in Nigeria and the papers have been full of info re a spat between VK and the FGN (Fed Govt of Nigeria), VK domestic flights were forcefully removed from a wing of the international terminal (MMIA) to the new(ish) Lagos Domestic Terminal (MMA2) causing a lot of domestic flight canx and aggro last week. SRB said in adverts in newspapers in Nigeria (summarised) that there was an agreement that they could operate a hub from the MMIA and he only invested on that basis.

More is on the VK website.

stansdead
20th Aug 2008, 17:30
Good. Let's concentrate on what we do well, i.e. VS.

VAFFPAX
20th Aug 2008, 18:39
VK points out that this is not a spat with the FGN, but rather the organisation in charge of MMA2, who are trying to force VK to move to MMA2 in contravention of its founding agreements that were negotiated between the FGN and VK Management.

There is a court case pending which meant that the move to MMA2 was supposed to have been stayed. However, VK was forcibly 'evicted' by airport authorities from MMIA and made to move to MMA2. They are trying to resolve the situation.

S.

Blink182
20th Aug 2008, 18:51
concentrate on his core longhaul airline

Thought that VS is jointly owned by Singapore Airlines......so therefore not "his" ??

The_Banking_Scot
20th Aug 2008, 18:58
Hi,

I think SQ has 49% of VS and SRB has 51% ( so almost jointly:}). ithink it has to be this way inorder for VS to keep its rights to fly from the UK as a british airline.

Regards

TBS

VAFFPAX
20th Aug 2008, 22:56
TBS is correct. VG (indirectly, SRB) still owns the majority share in VS.

S.

Dan Air 87
21st Aug 2008, 19:28
I heard that VK had moved to the domestic terminal the other week and that their domestic flights had been grounded for a couple of days whilst they made the move. Me thinks VS will be very lucky to walk away from this with any credibility left intact. What happened to all of the posturing from SRB when he set the airline up?

Also, I am puzzled as just who would want to buy VS's share with all of the problems that VK have had at LOS? It still does seem rather daft to have their domestic and international operations split too.

EI-CFC
22nd Aug 2008, 00:06
I'm surprised it's taken them this long to quit.

The administration (no matter who is in power at any moment) in that country makes it a basket-case. I always wondered what SRB/VS was thinking when VK was set up!

merlinxx
22nd Aug 2008, 03:54
As I posted on another thread:

Why has it taken so long for VRB & his people to learn about Nigeria, they really just should have spoken to the many, many people in the industry who have been involved there over the last 30/40 years.

sevenforeseven
22nd Aug 2008, 16:09
EI-CFC, Money?:ugh:

lostinlagosagain
31st Oct 2008, 10:46
I just learned from a friend of mine that most of VK's pilots haven't been paid their October Salary. It was due 1 week ago....
Any Info's on that? Are they running out of money?
Is it the start of the end?

FlexibleResponse
31st Oct 2008, 13:17
It sounds like one of those Nigerian scams?

Pilot application form:
www.virginnigeria.com/en/ng/jobs/pilot.doc

I liked the question on the colour of your skin (for statistical purposes only, of course!).

cwatters
31st Oct 2008, 17:21
Best Airline in West Africa apparently...

Virgin Nigeria Gets Best Airline in West Africa Award
Nigerian Bulletin!, Nigeria - 8 hours ago
Virgin Nigeria Airways Limited over the weekend emerged the “Best Airline in West Africa” at the 2008 Africa Travel Awards organized by the Africa Travel ...

Virgin Nigeria Gets Best Airline in West Africa Award : Nigerian Bulletin! (http://nigerianbulletin.com/nigeria-business-finance-news/virgin-nigeria-gets-best-airline-in-west-africa-award/31102008/2524/)

Nocti
31st Oct 2008, 18:25
what a surprise - especially when you're up against Nigeria Airwaste.....................:-)

DRPAM007
1st Nov 2008, 07:50
After starting out with the potential of being the most successful and Biggest airline in sub-Saharan Africa, the future of Virgin Nigeria's long haul operation now hangs in the Balance.
My prediction has always been that V1 (decision time ) is 31st December 2008.
The airline needs at least a change in Management strategy, or more far reaching;a change of Management led by a transformational/ visionary leader and a team that has the Right Strategy.

It is indeed humiliating to see such a promising Nigerian carrier decline to such levels of inefficiencies, when it should be taking it's rightful position as the dominant force on Lagos-London (one of BA's most lucrative routes) and Lagos-Johannesburg ( one of SAA's most profitable routes).

Without being sarcastic, my critical analysis indicate that the Mangament of VK are in real terms serving the interest of it's competitors (BA, SAA and VS). This is evidenced by the string of both strategic and tactical managment decisions that ensure Virgin Nigeria does not gain the competitive advantage it needs to challenge the status quo. So much for Bi-laterals that are built on the concept of dual designation and reciprocacity. It's not just the US polity and economy that needs an urgent change.

ghostcontrol
1st Nov 2008, 08:55
VIRGIN NIGERIA RESTRUCTURES FOR GROWTH??

Another 2 cxld flights today out of LGW not for mx reasons :ugh: Last week 2more cxld flights. Anyone hear more info as to why the cxlations? (Lack of funding for the gas maybe)? At least the pilots are still getting paid (for now), (late as usual but being paid!) AAhh the center of excellance in deed!

LGWSTAR
11th Jan 2009, 04:55
VIRGIN NIGERIA ANNOUNCES SUSPENSION OF LONG HAUL FLIGHTS
…To consolidate and expand domestic / regional operations

Lagos Nigeria, 9th January 2009: Virgin Nigeria announces that effective 27th January 2009, flights to London Gatwick, United Kingdom and Johannesburg, South Africa will be suspended.
The decision to suspend both services is to enable us to review our entire long haul operations including our product offerings on these routes. In the mean time, our focus is on consolidating and continuing to expand our profitable domestic and regional flight operations. Once the long haul product review has been finalised, we are certain to return to the long haul routes.

Loyal customers on our eagleflier scheme who have acquired miles from our long haul flights are assured of the validity of the miles as the eagleflier scheme remains in place.

We apologise for any inconvenience that the suspension may cause our esteemed customers. However plans have been put in place to re-protect affected Customers on other carriers at no extra cost to the customer.

We trust our loyal passengers will bear with us as we suspend and review these long haul routes so that we can come back with a truly competitive product offering.

Another Casualty for Gatwick along with Northwest, Oman air, XL and KD Avia. Wont be much left soon!

kotakota
11th Jan 2009, 06:51
Omanair is not a 'Casualty' , just transferring to the Golden Runways of West London.

BWAA
11th Jan 2009, 21:40
I wonder if this has anything to do with Arik flying in to Heathrow and taling over as the number on Nigerian Carrier ???