PDA

View Full Version : Starting Salary In Regional Airlines

pilot_007_2001
20th Aug 2008, 05:28
Wanted to know what is the starting salary at regional airlines/charters in Canada? All help will be appreciated.

Mr Lover
20th Aug 2008, 05:39
Jazz is about 35 000$ / year minimum garantee 75 hours.

4Stroke
20th Aug 2008, 14:20
As of July 1, 2008, first year F/O at Jazz makes $36, 360. 2nd year salary is $42, 420.
cheers,

pilot_007_2001
21st Aug 2008, 11:07
Thanks a lot Mr Lover and 4Stroke for your contributions.
The salary offered is very less. Maybe it has to do with lots of pilots without jobs.
Even Asian countries offer more , almost equivalent to $60,000.
If one has experience of around 1000 hours on Airbus-320 , where does he stand and are there jobs available right now in Canada?

clevlandHD
21st Aug 2008, 11:21
All airlines in Canada have stopped hiring. Many will let go pilots in the fall...near future is cloudy at best for the industry.

spencer101
21st Aug 2008, 21:06
I believe Westjet is still hiring.

basic salary scale 1st yr 40K 2nd yr 50K 3rd yr 80K.

pilot_007_2001
22nd Aug 2008, 10:24
Thanks clevlandHD (http://www.pprune.org/members/184060-clevlandhd) and Spencer for your information.

french_fry
23rd Aug 2008, 16:01
Air Canada / Jazz will not be hiring, most of the charters either, but plenty of work if you have experience in the turbo prop / corporate market...

pilot_007_2001
23rd Aug 2008, 19:43
I got no experience on Turbo prop's nor charter flights...only experienced on jets and got around 1000 hours with a commercial airlines on Airbus-320's as a first officer.
What are the job prospects for me?

CanadaRocks
23rd Aug 2008, 22:30
Sorry, no chance!

pilot_007_2001
25th Aug 2008, 04:02
Hey...Canada Rocks...how come no chance?
How can you say that Canada Rocks??
Canada must be having good oppurtunities with airlines around?

spencer101
25th Aug 2008, 18:04
If you only have 1000hrs total time then you have very little chance with any airline in Canada. The minimums tend to be around 4000 - 5000 hrs to get on with Air Canada or Westjet. Unlike the rest of the world you need a large amount of total time to get a f/o position flying something like a 320 or 737.

Sorry if this is bad news for you

vickers vanguard
26th Aug 2008, 02:22
Mr pilot double o seven,

If you've only pushed buttons on what you call Commercial airlines:confused:(I hope you don't think that flying a turboprop for hire is not a commercial operation) for a 1000 hours, I don't think you will impress anybody here. further more, since most great Asian Commercial airlines:} pays more than Jazz and the likes (I'm not saying Jazz's pay scale is good),why would you be interested in getting a flying gig here ?

pilot_007_2001
26th Aug 2008, 09:47
Yeah...I do get paid more here in the current job and am fancing getting onto the left seat in a year's time. I am sure that it should help. The only reason I am interested in coming to Canada is because all my family members are out there and even I have a PR and willing to take up a job with lesser pay scale if the future outlook looks good.
I hope so that I am not wrong in my thinking.
Anyways I am not in any immediate hurry and am building up my hours.
Also looking forward to getting Command and build up hours.

remarkablebean
5th Sep 2008, 16:53
Don't want to duplicate, but 1000 hours wont get you the right hand seat on a Porter Q400 - I think they want minimum of 1500 for that.

DEC - 5000 hrs + type rating...

I'd think your A320 gig is best kept to be honest.

P.S. Are you saying that with less than 2,000 hours, you'd get the left hand seat of an A320 in your part of the world or do I need my eyes tested ??????

Dockjock
6th Sep 2008, 17:44
With 1000 total, all jet, all F/O, your experience is like a square peg in a round hole for the canadian market, unfortunately.

Pilots here all start in GA, unlike europe or (evidently) mumbai where there is the opportunity to buy a jet type rating and a job with a large airline. No such path exists in Canada as due to the very large and diverse GA industry (instruction, piston charter, bush, seaplane, turboprop, regional, business jet) most entry level jobs are found there. As a result, airlines like Air Canada, Westjet, Air Transat, Jazz, Sunwing etc have an almost unlimited pool of applicants from those areas, mostly with 4x or 5x the experience you currently possess. Since everyone must run through the initial type training anyway, an existing type rating on the 320 is of little benefit in terms of cost savings to the airline doing the hiring. Combine that with the fact that ZOOM just stopped operating and the industry is slowing down, the possibility is remote to slide right into this area immediately.

If you are committed to living in Canada, it will be 2 steps back to get your foot in the door initially.

Gooneybird
6th Sep 2008, 19:20
Just testing the waters here myself. I'm looking at relocating to Canada. 2000 TT with everything from SE piston to turbo-prop command. What are my chances of making a half decent salary...don't care what I fly BTW?

Dockjock
7th Sep 2008, 00:15
Gooney,
You would have a good chance at a job, particularly if you chose Alberta to start your search. Good pay? That is another story...as you probably can guess.

remarkablebean
7th Sep 2008, 16:16
You'd still need your IMM1000 - the bit of paper to get employed and reside in Canada, and unless the outfit shows they couldn't hire a Canadian - or that a Canadian isn't available for the job, not sure about the chances to be honest.

Given the large pool out there to choose from right now, I personally think it might be difficult.

pilot_007_2001
9th Sep 2008, 06:26
Out of the total flying experience fo 1800 hrs plus, I got 700 hrs as command and for me to be upgraded in command on A-320, I need another 700hrs total time.
I got work permit for Canada and I feel that I should wait till I get 1000 hrs as Command before planning to move.
What do you say? All comments are welcome....thanks to everyone in advance.

remarkablebean
9th Sep 2008, 16:16
Here's my thoughts - and apologies if I seem blunt, but I am only trying to help:

- As someone said earlier, your experience for the Canadian market doesn't fit the norm and your hours total isn't enough for a jet ride with a line. In excess of twice the hours you have at a minimum. Bare minimum.

- Good to hear you have a work permit - a work permit entitles you to work for a specific employer in a specific role, which that employer must get authorization for after proving no-one in Canada can do the job for which you will be granted authorization. I.e. once you're here, you can't swap jobs without another work permit. You'll also get a temporary social insurance number - I think starting with a "9" which denotes a temporary worker and you won't get credit etc.

- If you have Permanent Residency - or perhaps you are a Canadian citizen living in Mumbai - who knows - disregard the above, but I suspect the above applies, as residency is usually only granted after living in the country on a work permit OR you have gone through the formal immigration process and been accepted.

- If you do come to Canada, the salary would not be up to what you get today, and you'll lag behind for many years as you become part of the Canadian aviation scene and job market.

Now, the reason I know all of this immigration stuff, is we have friends who have been through it, and I've seen the troubles it can cause. Any specifics, you're free to PM me if you'd like.

Good luck.

pilot_007_2001
16th Sep 2008, 12:13
I have a PR for Canada which means I need not be stuck with one employer. Thanks a lot REMARKABLEBEAN for your comments.
I agree that as far as Commercial Aviation is concerned my total hours are less but I been in aviation for the last 16 years almost.
I am willing to wait for my Command and get around 1000 hours before starting the search again.
This should take around 2 years time and I think by that time the aviation market in Canada would be better....right Mr Remarkablebean??

av8r76
16th Sep 2008, 12:55
Hang around a bit longer and get your command. Not worth it moving here at this point. Pay is better, vertical mobility is better and they really don't regard outside experience highly as pointed out with square/round peg and the exposure from GA in Canada. A better option would be is to check out
avcanada.ca which will give you a better and more accurate picture of the state of Canadian aviation.

I moved from Canada to get a job in your neighbourhood and as much as I miss Canada, flying is more than paying the bills and command on a medium jet is a lot closer than it is for a lot of folks in Canada... not that that's everybody's thing. It was a big sacrifice cos I kid you not when I say that the standard of living is WAY higher in Canada than it is in India (not necessarily on a pilots salary). But the point I'm making is that there are tons of guys who can literally walk into a job on much bigger and better equipment anywhere in the world but choose to stay due to personal reasons. I was lucky enough to have a wife who didn't mind leaving Canada so the transition has been much better.

A whole lot of expats in the Gulf are from Canada and moved there reluctantly due to the parade of bankruptcies and shutdowns that have plagued Canada since as far as I can remember. And unlike India or a significant part of the world there is no such thing as DEC since there are WAY too many guys with a lot more experience... might not be a push button 320 but the venerable GA of Canada. So if the economy sneezes you will lose your job at the bottom of a very long seniority list in say.... AC (which...based on the replies you have NO shot at anyway) and have no other viable options on similiar a/c types.

Stay where you are dude. Get the LHS, make the big moolah.... before you know it plenty of airlines will meet your experience level without requiring local GA experience (which is a prerequisite for any job in Canada apparently) or the thousands of hours required to just get an interview ( which you won't get cos you don't have any GA experience.... in CANADA).

Good luck and will probably hear on the radio over UUD. Cheers.

pilot_007_2001
17th Sep 2008, 05:10
Thanks a lot for your reply....I am aware about the fact that the scenario is not so rosy in Canada but my wife who happens to be a Aussie is keen on settling down there as she has lots of relatives out there and expect a better social life living out there.
This has prompted me to check out the aviaition industry out there.
What is the outlook in GA in Canada and the general salary structure?
Since I am planning to visit Canada in the last week of this month, I am planning to meet as much people as possible to check out the aviaition sector.
If possible , Please do guide me in this regards and we will surely hear eachother over UUD...cheers and happy landings :-)

av8r76
17th Sep 2008, 14:03
Well then that makes things tough for you if the significant other is hoping to move out of India. If you are willing to sacrifice your current job then all the power to you. As mentioned earlier you will need a little bit more experience if you want to qualify for jobs similiar to what you hold right now.

With Zoom gone and impending closures in other outfits... along with all other regionals suspending hiring being there at the end of this month will not give you much hope. When you get there you will get a fair idea of the salary structure and see that financially it just doesn't make sense to do it.

But nevertheless talk to as many people as you can and drop in your resume so they can put a face to your name. You never know what might open up for you. Let's face it..... people will call you a button pusher but 320 time is 320 time. And if you wait it out just a little bit longer your 320 PIC time will become invaluable in your quest for a job in Canada.

My wife, who is French Canadian, refuses to go back home and take a significant paycut, so my options are limited as of now despite the fact that I am willing to take a downgrade in equipment and remuneration just to be home.

Hopefully in the long run all our decisions eventually lead us to a happier place both personally and professionally.

Enjoy your vacation.

pilot_007_2001
18th Sep 2008, 05:26
I'll surely try and enjoy the vacation. I know the realities. I had spent better part of my life flying the high speed fighter jets and never gave a damn about the outside world where things swing around so widly. Always felt like a king in the sky being able to do what I want. I am willing to take a lower salary and am also willing to wait. So I guess 3 years time from now on should do me good. Expect to get around 1000 hrs PIC on type.
Maybe that might help my cause.
Thanks once again.

evand.13
25th Feb 2018, 12:50
So how's the pay looking for a first year regional F/O in Canada? It's been a whole 10 years.

+TSRA
26th Feb 2018, 23:17
Not too far off what Post #2 and #3 suggested.

Mid to high $30k's as a base salary based on somewhere between 70 to 75 hours per month. Throw in per diems and a bit of OT and your T4 might read around the $44-$50k for the year.

Take home pay and quality of life will depend on where you get based and whether you decide to commute or not. A Year 1 FO salary working and living in Calgary is fairly different from the same salary living and working in Toronto.

evand.13
26th Feb 2018, 23:23

Mid to high $30k's as a base salary based on somewhere between 70 to 75 hours per month. Throw in per diems and a bit of OT and your T4 might read around the $44-$50k for the year.

Take home pay and quality of life will depend on where you get based and whether you decide to commute or not. A Year 1 FO salary working and living in Calgary is fairly different from the same salary living and working in Toronto.

For a first year that’s pretty good. I noticed the United States regional pay is way worse in the $20k year for 1 FO. Lol if I worked in Toronto which would be one of the higher costs of living, my parents live 10 minutes away. Also diems go untaxed don’t they? That would be a huge plus based on income tax rates these days.

GlenQuagmire
26th Feb 2018, 23:43

How is the job market in Canada - especially Calgary? A chum of mine is considering embarking on a flying career as a second career (he is 50). I am pretty sure that would be a non starter in Europe but does he stand a decent chance in the Canadian market? He has a work permit and residency.