PDA

View Full Version : Exams expired before IR complete.. what next ?

SimJock
20th Aug 2008, 00:59
Hi All

I am in the position of having passed all ATPL exams with fairly good % but now their validity period (36 months) has expired. I got the CPL but was then only able to study part time for an IR due to work commitments and after a short time on the course it became apparent to me that I would not finish within the 36 month validity period, so I stopped.

Now I have more time and money available I would like to restart the IR again.
LASORS says that the amount of re-training or if you like re-exam taking is down to the training provider/school to decide.

Has anyone else actually been in this situation ? if so what did the training school recomend/say and did you have to do all the exams again ? My passes are I suppose about 48 months old now.

The thought of doing all 14 again would be enough to put me off the IR !!

Cheers

ChrisLKKB
20th Aug 2008, 08:31
Unless things have changed, I thought you had longer than 36 months ?? If not write (e-mail) the CAA, if there's a blue moon and the person dealing with your querey got lucky that night they might cut you some slack although imo the chances are very slim. If your exams lapse before the IR is issued you have to do them again, sadly I speak from experience. [email protected]

helimutt
20th Aug 2008, 08:41
I can't find anything in Lasors 2008 about the IR theory exams but it's worth just giving someone like GTS in Bournemoth a ring and see what they say.

It does state that:-
If a CPL and IR are not granted within the 36 month
acceptance period then the ATPL theory credit will lapse.
Candidates will be required to re-pass all ATPL theoretical
knowledge examinations to regain ATPL theory credit.
However, it has been agreed that where a candidate
has previously passed all ATPL theoretical knowledge
examinations but were not granted a CPL/IR within the 36
month acceptance period, the amount of ATPL theoretical
knowledge instruction will be at the discretion of the Head
of Training of the Approved FTO.

Which basically means you won't have to do the same amount of ground school training hours before being entered for all of the exams again.

Oh happy days!:E

potkettleblack
21st Aug 2008, 08:37
If you have to resit them then my advice is register with the Bristol website and rote learn the answers for a month. You already did the work and a lot of the answers will come back. Feel free to re-read all of your books if you really want to for the more relevant sections that you might get quizzed on at interviews but I wouldn't dwell on the irrelevant stuff.

SimJock
22nd Aug 2008, 15:30
Thanks all for the comments, looks like I'll have to retake the ones I need for the IR again then :ugh:

I really didn't want to do that, but hey that's life I guess. I still have my Bristol notes so reading up won't be a problem, I don't have a copy of LASORS to hand so please tell me I don't need to do general nav/gyros again :yuk: that really would finish me off !

Was there another longer time period for the ATPL passes to be valid for ATPL issue ?

Unusual Attitude
9th Sep 2008, 21:51
Simjock, I'm in exactly the same situation and have been for a couple of years having a JAA CPL but no IR and expired ATPL theory.

I fought tooth and nail with the CAA on this to try to avoid doing all 14 exams again but there is just no way around it. Hate to break the bad news but if you only redo the IR exams and add an IR to your CPL you will be granted a CPL/IR but NOT a Frozen ATPL (there is a difference) which airline employers will not consider you without.

To get a F/ATPL from where you are you will need to re-sit 13 ATPL exams all over again (you are granted an exemption from sitting VFR comms since you hold a CPL)

I have this in writing from the CAA and as yet I have found no other way around it, I have in fact started my ATPL theory for a second time.

Was hoping things might change with EASA (IE only needing to redo the IR exams to be granted a F/ATPL) but alas its looking unlikely.

Please do let me know if the CAA have told you something different cause facing the ATPL's all over again is my worst nightmare and I'm really struggling with the motivation.

All the best.

UA

Permafrost_ATPL
10th Sep 2008, 14:06
In case you have not found it yet, LASORS is here:

LASORS 2008 | Personnel Licensing | Safety Regulation (http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=175&pagetype=68&gid=780)

Your ATPL exams remain valid, for the purpose of applying for ATLP, for 7 years after the date of the last IR exam entered in your CPL (as long as you passed your initial IR within 36 months of passing your last theory exam).

So if you keep renewing your IR, nothing to worry about. You need a valid IR to start a type rating course, by the way.

Cheers,

P

RVR800
10th Sep 2008, 14:52
Yes it's unfortunate that ATPL knowledge is deemed by those is the know to be so short lived. 36 months and you've forgotten it all.

Another thing that is interesting is the way al the helicopter stuff has still not moved from the CAA days .. of course thats because the whole thing was driven by a bunch of airkine guys who got bored with that aspect of it :rolleyes:

Another laughable aspect of this is the fact that If you are starting off afresh
and just want a CPL and IR ie a CPL and IR then yes there are MORE exams to sit than for the ATPL !!!

The whole thing is an absolute joke. thankfully most of the questions are available electronically these days so rote learning the answers to some of the
old questions is a doddle compared to the old days. The pass marks rise relentlessly (many get 100%) not like the old days with negative marking.

Anyway we can all relax in the knowledge that re-passing will provide big benefits for eveyone involved - get your cheque book ready

One example question from the JAA to get you in the mood for your "re-passing"

3 How shall a pilot ask for a QFE ?

A request Queen Fox Easy
B request Quebec Foxtrot Echo
C request Quebec Fox Echo
D request Quebec Fox Easy

:ooh:

ChrisLKKB
10th Sep 2008, 15:13
That's still not as good as the old CAA classic where one optional answer to the question, what sets of the fire detectors in the toilets? was, a.smoke, b.heat or c.smell. A rare display of humour from ex squadron leader Bum-Chumley Warner I reckon :}