PDA

View Full Version : Emirates Aviation College

inglebyboro
19th Aug 2008, 22:31
Can anybody suggest any decent hotels in the local area to the college. Any tips about the college would be gratefully received too.

Cheers
IB

Vertigo_FDS
21st Aug 2008, 14:19
Hi Ingle,

What's your budget? What course you going on?

Vert

ubaid123
22nd Aug 2008, 02:34
Its all about the Budget , Dubai you could get something for 300dh all the way up to thousands for a night.

I would suggest try to get on campus accomodation,you gotta Nag suomiyah for that though,get on her back , you dont wana have to go through the morning traffic every day, it just dosent go anywhere man, and good luck findinga taxi in the morning , or literally at any time in dubai and the busses are never on time , even if they are they get stuck in the same traffic for hours.

The most economical i think is UAE youth Hostel in Dubai,{U.A.E Youth Hostel Assocication Dubai}Youth Hostel Association U.A.E. (http://www.uaeyha.com/)
its not that far from the college , but all the traffic diversions and construction works make it a little far.With prices like 52 US Dollars a night i think you cant beat that in dubai. I think you could even share a 52 Dollar room coz it has got 2 beds.

Otherwise try the portsaeed area, opposite Deira City Center Shopping mall, its really close but could be a little expensive , like 400 or 500 dirhams a night or even more.

Dont even think of staying in Sharjah , there is no way you could get to dubai in time in morning. Al Rigga street and clock tower areas are not that far from college, you would be fine there as well.

I Would suggest UAE youth Hostel though , even though a taxi cab ride to the college from there could cost about 20-25 uae dirhams each way or a little less.You could get rides from classmates though and if you take a bus you have to change one bus to get there.

inglebyboro
25th Aug 2008, 06:23
Many thanks for the replys.

Booked into the Le Meridien Fairway, which I believe is close to the college. Is this within walking distance?

I'm doing the FOM 1 course in Oct

Cheers
IB

ubaid123
11th Sep 2008, 02:11
Yep its really close , its just down the street. You'll b fine , goodluck

antonovman
13th Sep 2008, 07:26
wow thats going to cost you.
I stayed in the Training residence for a while when i first started with DNATA
its right by the college and the irish village :ok:

MJ-120T
3rd Oct 2008, 08:15
i have enroll myself in Emirates Flight Dispatch also..are you planning to take the FOM Level one only?

Lady FD

hamsathul haris
6th Oct 2008, 12:29
i hav also joined for the course...can ny one tell me bout the job oppertunities and if there s any advantages for doin the course from emirates..??? does the college give any career guidance???.....plzz somebody help.....

hamsathul haris
7th Oct 2008, 11:20
thanx a million man for the info man..........do u hav any idea bout getting an indian dgca license...???

hamsathul haris
8th Oct 2008, 05:09
many many thanks for the info.....since i had joined the eac there s no goin back n i will c wot i can do after i complete the course....i also have a bachelors degree in aeronautical engineering....do u think it will help me in any way in my career as a dispatcher????:)

inglebyboro
8th Oct 2008, 15:55
Hi Lady FD

yep, just level 1 for me.
One week in the sun for me

napeerba
10th Oct 2008, 22:27
hi mate actually im from mauritius and im working as customer care service here and i want to take a course in cabin crew or flight attendant but im not sure which collge to go??? do u think i should join the emirates aviation college??? actually u r the boss u have a better idea about the lifestyles there do u know any college or universities in dubai that provides student scheme loan to international student???? answer plz thanks in advance

MJ-120T
24th Oct 2008, 14:11
ah ok...
try to get and finished the FOM II...

Alah Bless you..

Lady FD

barnboy2006
9th Sep 2010, 17:05
Hello everyone,
This is not a malicious post, this post only contains a few words of advise. Readers, please don't go for the Emirates college flight dispatch program. It is a very shoddy program and some of the S&P's of the instructors are abominable.

Let me give you a summary of my experience there. I won't name any names, but the program is run by Jeppeson, and I will say, they are just in it for the money, and the college is a figurative "diploma mill".We had 3 instructors, The first week we had a malaysian instructor (He was a genuinely nice guy and gave us a lot of useful info), from the 3'rd week onwards we had a Serbian instructor (also a very nice guy), and the last 2 weeks, we had this german f@#ker who thought he was all great, but he was really a hasbeen. Anyways ..

The module exams were pretty much a joke. The instructors pretty much told us that all the questions will come from the GLIME ATP revision book, and guess what, all the questions (multiple choice btw) came out of the glime. In many cases, the exam questions were even spoonfed to us. I remember a couple of people actually getting help during the exams as well. And one or 2 people failed many exams as well, but the instructors would actually make them erase their incorrect answers after the exam and then give them the right answers, just to make them pass. And these glime questions were a complete joke. Anybody who has read the GLIME ATP revision book probably will know what I'm talking about.

The instructors didn't want anybody to fail, cause then they didn't want to waste time on resits. The german f@#ker actually said "I have some important dates, and I don't want to waste my time on resits". Before the final GCAA exam, he actually gave us half the questions in the final exam. And then he threatens us by saying "If you tell anybody about this, I will hunt you down and I will make sure you never work in the gulf again". Yeah right. What a tosser !!!

And don't even get me started on the admin. Everybody is not that bad, but the place is seriously disorganised. 2 weeks before the O&P exam, they increase the fee by 200 dollars without even telling anyone. And now there is a stupid rule in the UAE that says that all Dispatchers must have 90 days of OJT before they can be issued a license. But they told us about this, and before the course, the co-ordinators of the program told us that we would be issued a temp. license if we apply for a full one. But guess what, after the course, they just brush us off like flies. Nobody was even able to get a temp license, since the people blatantly told us not to apply for one without OJT. No company will hire a dispatcher without a license, so most of my classmates have gone back to India to look for jobs. Some may have used their contacts to get something, but as far as I know, none of my friends got anything in the UAE. It was lousy.

The admin was especially useless. Most emiratis are very lazy and only rely on govt schemes or handouts to get by. The manager of the programs was an emirati, and nobody ever saw her around. She was a lazy c#$t.
Just go to Sheffield or some other school in the US and get your FAA license. It is more widely recognised, and I reckon the people over there would be a lot more helpful. Dubai is not all rosy. It's who you know, not what you know that gets you going here. If you know the right people, you'll get some work,that is especially true for dispatchers. Otherwise, it's useless.

Seriously, go to the US and get your FAA directly. Done come to EAC.

Some Jeppeson chrony might try to take this post down, but you that won't change the fact that the Jepp dispatcher course at EAC is a money making diploma mill.

Consider yourself warned.

Take care.

bala_murali
10th Sep 2010, 14:46
Hi there guys

I have enrolled for the the flight dispatcher course in emirates aviation college for this October batch . I saw the previous post by barnboy and was baffled.

I would be paying the fee for processing the visa in 4 days time and the total course fee in 7 days time. I dont know anybody who has finished this course from emirates aviation college but general feedback of one to two students who have attended the other course was good( met them online ) i got from emirates aviation college was good . The name emirates and jeppesen also added to the reputation .
I am from India. i did my bachelors degree in electrical and electronics engineering and 2 years of work experience in Dell computer.As eveybody said sheffield school of aeronatics is really great . But at the end of the day with an FAA license what can i do ?:hmm::hmm: even if i find a job opening in USA ( which i very difficult first of all ) there is no way i can get a work permit from the government. FAA license is not recognized in India and there is also no way to convert it:ugh::ugh: ( checked it out from dispatcher working for paramount airways , India ). I did hear that FAA license it accepted by singapore airlines and lufthansa ,but this usually is the case when the airlines send people to train in sheffield or any faa authorized school . i heard that having an FAA license and applying for the job on an individual bases would not work .
From speaking to some flight operation professional here i found that generally getting a job as a dispatcher is very difficult and in India there is no DGCA authorized dispatch training itself . So considering India there is no place to train also .So my only choice was emirates aviation college ,Dubai.From my research i found that the chances in Dubai are also slim but there is atleast a chance, compared to other countries.
Barnboys feedback on emirates was very shocking :\:\:\. i would like to know some more feedback regarding emirates aviation college training and the possiblity of an OJT in Dubai from some of the guys who have trained in emirates aviation college . Your suggestion and opinions would greatly help me in my decision making guys . Please let me know your experince in EMIRATES AVIATION COLLEGE .
Lastly i like to know why Barnboy who is from America chose emirates aviation college in dubai when there are indefinete number of option in USA itself ?? .
Thanks a million for your time guys . its much appreciated !:ok::ok::ok:

alessac
11th Feb 2011, 20:25
hi have u applied?

bala_murali
12th Feb 2011, 20:17
No i have not .. Are you planning to apply ???

desertopsguy
21st Feb 2011, 11:58
Right now might not be the best moment in time to be heading over to the sand-pit in general although some parts of it seem stable enough.

UAE will probably be ok, the populace is fat, dumb n' happy there so they are far less likely to get all riled up compared with their pals in BAH, Libya, Tunisia etc.

The thing to be concerned with is a wider, regional conflagration that drags other countries into it. Iran would be the most likely catalyst for something like this to happen. The coming weeks will tell how the internal disquiet will go there and if the people can get it off the ground or if they will be supressed...And who knows what sort of knee-jerk reaction the mullas make have to all this.

Sit tight man, and don't be in a hurry to the sand-pit until this has all played out a bit more and you have a better idea of what is going on...just my advice.

Best,

D.O.G

pilot339
14th Dec 2011, 16:02
Am about to start training at EAC for FOM 1and 2. Can someone give me an idea of getting very cheap accommodation and also how to get OJT after the course.
Thankx.

amarje3t
17th Dec 2011, 13:36
Hey pilot339,

I just completed my FOM 1 and 2 at EAC in February 2011. I believe, the cheapest accommodation would be at the campus itself, speak to EAC they might be able to arrange that for you. It's better as there would be no hassles for you to get transport to and from college. A few of my colleagues opted for that and it did help them out in the long run as there are quite a few restaurants in the vicinity to order from. Additionally, EAC has a food court within campus that offers pretty decent meals as buffet and it costs 15/-AED for a meal + salad + a soft drink of your choice. It also has a convenience store if you wish to stock up on basic necessities.

However, the one downfall is that the rooms are not equipped with internet and this might be a problem if your an avid internet user.

As for OJT, the situation was pretty tough when we graduated as GCAA had no regulation in place that said the airlines operating within the UAE needed to offer OJT to graduates and this put us in a tight spot as the only way to get your license is completing your 90-day OJT at a registered operation in the UAE.

However, I was lucky enough to get placement in to a local cargo airline that offered me OJT + a job thereafter once I get my license. Recently, GCAA passed on a memo to all airlines indicating that they need to offer an OJT to graduate students so that they are able to get their license. A job though is not guaranteed.

Two of my colleagues just finished their OJT with FlyDubai but were not offered a permanent contract upon completion and are job hunting again.

I hope this helps.

P.S. As for the course, the GLEIM is your best friend. Use it well and you should be okay!

Good luck,
Amar.

pilot339
18th Dec 2011, 10:03
Amar, thanks very much you have been very helpful. But I will also like to know how the out went. Do you get paid and I you provided with accommodation? Also tell me abt any additional info you have.

ricardo2012
5th Jan 2012, 21:28
Hi Guys, I plan to join eac for the dispatcher course in march. Anyone can give me more info....accomodation???? for both men and women? ( don't take me wrong, joining with a friend female )
About the visa? being a european? Do I need to apply for a student visa?
One more thing, is there an entry exam?
Would really be grateful if u gave me more details:O

desertopsguy
7th Jan 2012, 16:33
Your location is listed as Guadeloupe, is that where you really are? If so then why would you go half way across the world to attend a school that isn't even that good, when all you have to do is go to the USA which is only a few hours away??

You did know that there are better schools in the USA right?

Last I heard, there is no entrance exam.

D.O.G

Three.Green
4th Nov 2013, 11:34
There is an entrance exam for the Abridged Flight Dispatch Course. This reduced course is only 3 weeks and costs about half of the regular. Eligibility is a valid ICAO CPL. Hope this helps.

DaDe
16th Apr 2014, 13:00
Hi guys,
Has been a while since they post the conversation. However, I am thinking to go to emirates aviation college doing aircraft dispatcher course. I have some perplexity about after I read the comments. Doesn't anyone who already made the course can tell me his/her opinion? If not what would you suggest me to do?

Thanks