PDA

View Full Version : Hints & Tips for the Pitts S1-C please!

mothflyer
19th Aug 2008, 14:02
Hello again PPruner's. Have been lucky enough to be offered the chance to use an S1C on a regular basis, pretty standard set-up with 160hp up front. Nice tidy machine with low houred engine and a/f. Will be operating out of a nice flat grass a/f with plenty of room available.

I've read up quite a bit on the type and spoken to few but would be very interested to hear a cross-section of useful hints and tips from you guys and gals that have experience on-type.

Hope you dont mind putting a few notes forward.

Thanks as always. :ok:

egbgstudent
19th Aug 2008, 18:42
Hi Mothflyer,

Check your PM's, I have sent you details of the right person you will need to speak to.:ok:

Good luck with the Pittsing, and may your aero's be freeflowing:D

eharding
19th Aug 2008, 18:43
Get a couple of flights under instruction in an S2. Your instructor should be able to judge whether your Cub/Moth time is proving a help or a hinderance. I'd recommend Alan Cassidy at White Waltham.

18greens
19th Aug 2008, 20:32
Good luck, great airframe, scratch that, fantastic airframe.

Presumably you have flown a Pitts before. If not Eds advice is sound. I could not believe the recommended approach technique the first time I flew one. A gobsmacking earth hurtling constant curving sideslip. They fall out of the sky like streamlined bricks

A cub and tiger moth will not get you ready for the mighty Pitts. Get someone to show you the secret. Paul Ambrose at Popham does Pitts therapy without the swingeing ego reduction.

stiknruda
20th Aug 2008, 07:34
Or....

NSOF at Sibson

or

Cas Smith at Full Sutton

or

the Dai Heather-Hayes at Perth (Scone)

The S1C only has ailerons on the lower wings so the roll rate not as "cosmic" as the S2 that others have suggested you dual in.

However the power to weight ratio is greater, so you will have fun!

Enjoy.

Stik

nb - you are in Germany, there are a couple of 2Bs in country

stuII
20th Aug 2008, 09:14
With the S2/instructor scenario, spend as much time if possible flying the front pit. That will give you the best visual/feel for converting to the single pit. Have fun.

mothflyer
20th Aug 2008, 12:21
Thanks, guys.

I was hoping for 'your' tips and tricks as checking out with one person leaves me with one persons opinion and technique, then obviously I form my own!

As we are all different, it may take something small that someone else has said that might prompt a different action or thought in a single situation.

Ok the environment is not the same here, I am not surrounded by knowledgeable Pitts pilots here (in Germany) as I used to be back home. There are not so many places to find real aviators either... (takes life in own hands with that comment), but I do apreciate the views and techniques vary, possibly greatly, thats why I'm asking for your one liners!

Try to read between the lines :)

stiknruda
20th Aug 2008, 13:32
MF - send me another PM with an e-mail address and I'll fwd you a circuit diagram that gives a pretty decent understanding of speeds/position in the cct. I have found it valuable when helping folk convert onto type.

sooty615
20th Aug 2008, 21:12
My advise, in a nutshell;

In the air the Pitts is a pussy cat to fly, but on and close to the ground it's more of a Tiger - and I don't mean Tiger Moth! Your Cub and previous tailwheel experience will stand you in good stead, but a few take off's and landings from the FRONT HOLE of an S2 will prepare you for the joys of taxiing, taking off and landing an S1.

Aerobatically, the Pitts is predictable, but your first attempts should be made with a lot of sky beneath you. Your first accidental flick will surprise you, especially if encountered while "pushing," and may lead to an unexpected loss of altitude while you figure out what has just happened. If you remember to close the throttle (especially if your model has a metal prop) all will be just fine.

One final thing. Whatever model Pitts you fly, it's rate of climb matches its rate of descent with power off. Bear in mind that if the engine stops it comes down REAL fast!

Enjoy!

Sooty

Jetscream 32
20th Aug 2008, 21:25
stick forward = see more cows
stick back = see less cows
stick to the right = cows go left
stick to the left = cows go right

push everything forward in the right corner = giddy....!

hope it helps....!

enjoy :ok:

stiknruda
20th Aug 2008, 21:47
Gene Beggs in the US still sells (or did last I asked, 5 err 7 years ago) his excellent book on spin recovery. It is basically a volume that covers his and Eric Muller's best technique for spin egression in the Pitts.

Closing the throttle as Sooty 615 says is rather germane to the succesful outcome.

If I find that my thinking is not far ahead enough of my Pitts and I am unsure what I have already told it to do next, I close the throttle and centre the ball! It may not be pretty but with several hundred hours on type IT has consistently worked.

The aeroplane will immediately do exactly as you tell it - as long as the input is there, change the input and it will immediately conform to the new input.

Best glide is circa 100mph in the 1C - so be prepared to stretch it by flying in balance OR more likely picking something acheivable and slipping hard whilst S turning. As each airframe is different it really is worth climbing to 1500' in the o/head and practicing an engine failure.

MF - have yr e-addy, just need to find the scan for you.

Stik

orionsbelt
20th Aug 2008, 22:48
Purchase the EAA Tech Tips on Pitts 1c U/C Problems. EAA - The Spirit of Aviation - Oshkosh, WI (http://www.eaa.org/)

Remember its a home built A/C !!!!!!!!.
Check A/C ADs particularly for the tail plane support tube upgrade.

Check the Toe In / Toe out as the A/C is rolled forward. That's the cause of many a ground loop, Remember big engine Lycoming 160 /180 Hp IO320 / 360 weighs about 280 - 300 lbs plus the prop. Look up the definition of 'close coupled' (pprune test pilots ) as the A/C is only 19.5 feet long. Cover the brakes on landing, Best to Operate from big grass fields not narrow runways.
Check the U/C Struts for corrosion and U/C bolts and brackets for damage
Check U/C Bungee cords for correct type and tension.
Make sure the tyres disks and brakes are in perfect condition
Check that the tail wheel leaf spring is undamaged and that you have the
( maul ) anti-shimmy spring kit on the tail wheel. Check the tightness of the tail wheel swivel / centring / locking mechanism.
Get yourself an Aircraft Spruce &Specialty Company catalogue.
Join the UK BAA (Home page for the BAeA website (http://www.aerobatics.org.uk/))
Chat up Alan Cassidy and get some time in GSTUA
Practice PFLs

Buy a good crash helmet, ( Pm me and I will sell you mine), It saved my neck when i wrote my S1c Off in 1996.

Fun to Fly.
Cheers Orions ***

stiknruda
21st Aug 2008, 09:58
Don't forget the MAUW of the S1C (two aileron, shorter lower wing) is 1050 lbs as opposed to 1150 for the D/E/S.

Racing snakes only!

Stik

ps - have PM'd you the diagram

mothflyer
26th Aug 2008, 14:13
Thanks guys. Some good stuff there and thanks stiknruda for the diagram.

Have a helmet already thanks orionsbelt. Wont fly open cockpit without one, value my bonce too much! Question, the canopy comes off the Pitts easy enough, is it still pleasant to fly with it off?

I am over 6' but the whole set-up in this S1 seems to be built around a tall pilot, ie. instrument panel is actually clear and my knees will go right to the sidewall withought being gouged on some strange piece of tubing, split-pin or locking wire. I've tried to get in some S1's and cant even get my shins under the panel!

Any how, I digress.

Cheers folks.

MF

stiknruda
26th Aug 2008, 16:06
I guess the hardest thing about take off and especially landing is to know when to do something and when just to leave it alone! That only comes with experience but my scariest ever S1 landing was my second. I now know that had I let it carry on doing what it wanted and hadn't tried to "influence" it with rudder that I would have been less scared.:eek:

Pitts2112
26th Aug 2008, 17:10
Question, the canopy comes off the Pitts easy enough, is it still pleasant to fly with it off?

Surprisingly pleasant, especially if you have a helmet. I had to take the canopy off my S-1D as it no longer fit properly, and I expected it to be a lot slower and windier. I was told to expect 10 mph off my airspeed for most things due to the increased drag. The reality was no change at all, which makes me think my blown canopy was creating as much drag as the open cockpit does. If your S-1C has a streamlined canopy, I would guess the drag penalty would be more noticeable. And it's not only not much windier but it's great to be able to wipe dead bugs off the windscreen in flight! Keep your chart stowed, though!

I'm enjoying flying it open much more than I thought I would and, as I've suffered no performance penalty, I'm in no rush to put a new canopy back on until winter. It does make me just that little bit leary the first time I roll inverted on every flight, though, and the pre-flight is a bit different:

"Hatches and har....oh, right. no hatch. Check!
Harness secure...cinch, cinch, cinch. Hope so!"

Speaking of new canopy...Stik?

stiknruda
26th Aug 2008, 18:01
2112 => I find myself in canopy-heaven this week! I've just sent a replacement 2C frame and perspex off to the painter ('cos I'm too busy to prep and paint it!) to do the red o/side, grey inside. I then had a call saying that the other canopy for the same "jet" has been smashed so can I help out!

Last time we spoke, I thought that you wanted me to deliver the UNCUT bubble and front screen to RM next time anyone was in that direction in a vehicle? Is that not right?

You are very welcome to collect but would insist on you being in a car. Speed taping it over your head whislt yopu strap in is not recommended.

Are you on facebook??:8:8

mothflyer
28th Aug 2008, 09:11
Thanks again, I'll let you know how the 1st (and 2nd) flight go. :ok:

stiknruda
28th Aug 2008, 10:11
The book says 35psi in the mains.

I tend to run mine at 30 psi as it bounces less! When I first started out I did my first 10 or so landings with 20psi in the tyres - it really does dampen out the desire to be twitchy.

Budd Davisson - Pitts guru in Arizona starts off newbies at 18psi and accepts the accelerated tyre wear as part of the trade off.

Stik

mothflyer
9th Nov 2008, 17:39
Finaly folks, after delay from the insurance company and delay from the German authorities and delay from the weather, I finally got the little Pitts in the air yesterday.

After 5 fast taxi's down the strip under the watchfull eyes of the owner who stood by the runway, those majic (and ever so slightly nerve racking) words came over the radio! 'Go fly her now'!

Wow, what a blast! Light, very responsive and reminds me of a winch launch in the climb! Tooled around out of the circuit for half an hour then braved the the enevitable and made 3 landings (not at the same time I must add)! the last was the icing on the cake! Sweeeeeeeeeeet!

Looking forward to the next flyable day.

Thanks to all for their help on here, another hooked pitts rookie. :ok:

Zulu Alpha
9th Nov 2008, 20:06
................... made 3 landings (not at the same time I must add)! the last was the icing on the cake! Sweeeeeeeeeeet!

That means you are due for a brown underpant groundloop soon!!!

Watch out when you first land on tarmac, much less forgiving of any sideslip.

ZA

eharding
9th Nov 2008, 21:19
ZA speaks the truth. Beware any greaser in a Pitts, because on the law of averages means you're due a howler shortly thereafter.

Still, it helps if after said howler on a narrow tarmac runway with a more-than-sporting crosswind on your less-than-favourite side (and said runway has pointless pointy stick things lining the edges) to have a Laser driver at the hold to transmit a cyptic "Six" over the radio, the number in question being the number of bounces it takes to get the brute firmly stuck onto the runway.

Edited: The proon swear filter seems to be having a laugh...for Laser read L-a-s-e-r.

Thud105
10th Nov 2008, 05:29
Agreed. The Pitts can be a tricky little brute - but great fun!