PDA

View Full Version : TWA 800 'lifeguard'

donnlass
19th Aug 2008, 11:18
Hi

I was just reading the Black Box transcript of TWA 800's last flight (RIP) and when they had their clearance for pushback they said that they had been asked to be lifeguards.

I'm not too sure what this means in this context, does it mean they have to look out for other aircraft?

If anyone can explain that I'd be grateful.

Cheers

Donnlass:confused::confused:

BelArgUSA
19th Aug 2008, 11:45
It is a call sign common in the USA for medical flights (airplanes having a medical patient aboard, or airplanes carrying an organ for transplant) - It gives priority handling as far as ATC is concerned. I was not aware tha TW-800 had that status on their fateful flight...
xxx
:)
Happy contrails

SNS3Guppy
19th Aug 2008, 12:55
2007: 52 RDO-2 Kennedy gate hold TWA's eight hundred heavy we're lifeguard ah we're ready to taxi out delta alpha with tango.

2008: 01 GH TWA eight hundred all right contact ground one two one point niner for the taxi inform them that you are lifeguard.

2008: 04 CAM-3 after start checklist complete.

2008: 07 RDO-2 roger.

2008: 13 RDO-2 Kennedy ground TWA's eight hundred heavy lifeguard comin' out delta alpha with tango.

2008: 24 RDO-2 yes sir.

2008: 25 GND you know every day you come out and we don't know that you're a lifeguard and then you tell us you are and ah if you could tell company to ah you know ah put that in their flight plan ah it would help us out alot.

2008: 38 RDO-2 TWA's eight hundred understand I don't think they knew it either until the last minute.

2008: 41 GND all right TWA eight hundred taxi right on alpha and hold short of echo.

Last minute arrangement, as the crew notes in the above CVR excerpt. The company wasn't aware of the lifegaurd status, and hadn't put it on the flight plan.

AirDisaster.Com: TWA 800 CVR Transcript (http://www.airdisaster.com/cvr/tw800tr.shtml)

SmartCockpit - Airline training guides, Aviation, Operations, Safety (http://www.smartcockpit.com/pdf/safety/boeing/0074)

When I flew air ambulance, for international movement of patients sometimes it was more convenient to purchase a block of seats and install a bed or stretcher in their place. Patients with special needs who are ambulatory are sometimes moved this way too, and a lifegaurd status attached to the flight.

donnlass
23rd Aug 2008, 12:22
Thanks for your help with my query. I will have a good look at the two websites you gave me.

Thanks lots - fly safely.

Donnlass

PaperTiger
23rd Aug 2008, 14:54
If a patient is being transported, the flight is "Medevac" status.
"Lifeguard" is (as posted) assigned when live organs or other urgent medical supplies are being carried.

ATC will prioritize accordingly.

SNS3Guppy
24th Aug 2008, 01:57
If a patient is being transported, the flight is "Medevac" status.
"Lifeguard" is (as posted) assigned when live organs or other urgent medical supplies are being carried.

Not quite. Lifeguard is for priority involving medical requirements, and very much applies to the carriage of patients.

In this Issue:
Operational Priority for Air Carrier/Air Taxi Lifeguard Flights
Minimum Altitude Emergencies
Aircraft Call Sign Changes
Readback/Hearback, Again

INCIDENT'LY
Visual Separation Mistakes
Air Traffic Controller
Time to Climb
Aircraft Performance Characteristics
Back to the "C" in Controller
What is Awareness?
Operational Priority for Air Carrier/Air Taxi Lifeguard Flights

/*TER/ Civilian air ambulance flights responding to medical emergencies (carrying patients, organ donors, organs, etc.), including air carrier/air taxi aircraft using the "LIFEGUARD" call sign, will receive operational priority. Unlike civilian air ambulances, air carrier/air taxi aircraft are restricted from filing a flight plan using the letter "L" (indicator for Lifeguard) in conjunction with the aircraft's call sign.

This restriction is due to the limit of a combination of seven alpha/numeric characters allotted for the aircraft identity.

To indicate to air traffic control (ATC) that an air carrier/air taxi aircraft is actually a lifeguard flight and to facilitate priority handling, the word "Lifeguard" is included in the remarks section of the flight plan. This information should be reflected in the remarks section of the flight data/flight progress strip. It is important for the controller to be aware of all flight data and to ensure that this information is accurate and passed to the adjacent position/facility in a timely manner. It is important that this information is coordinated so that each controller may provide the necessary service and assistance.

When an air carrier/air taxi uses the term "Lifeguard" in conjunction with its call sign ("Lifeguard American Twenty Eight"), this is considered a request for operational priority, which should be granted. As indicated in FAAO 7110.65, Air Traffic Control, paragraph 2-1-4b, Note, "It is recognized that heavy traffic flow may affect the controller's ability to provide priority handling. However, without compromising safety, good judgement shall be used in each situation to facilitate the most expeditious movement of a lifeguard aircraft."

U (http://www.faa.gov/airports_airtraffic/air_traffic/publications/atpubs/atbarc/04-3.htm)

cordwainer
30th Apr 2017, 00:57
Realize this is LONG after the original post. But since it's moderately difficult to find a really complete answer to this question online, wanted to note the Lifeguard status of TWA 800 is explained in detail in a NY Times article dated August 4, 1996: "Medical Cargo on Planes Poses Airline Safety Gap"
Link is Medical Cargo on Planes Poses Airline Safety Gap - The New York Times (http://www.nytimes.com/1996/08/04/nyregion/medical-cargo-on-planes-poses-airline-safety-gap.html)
Viewing this article did not require a subscription for me. Hopefully that's true for others also.