PDA

View Full Version : So after a while. How is flying?

eikido
19th Aug 2008, 08:24
So guys. How is flying for you today? Is it just as wonderful as the first times? Are you getting tired of it? Is it not just as fun as before?

Tell me your stories:)
The difference between the first 100 hours and now, >1000hours.

Eikido

Artie Fufkin
19th Aug 2008, 12:33
You'll get a mixture of replies both positive and negative. It depends on the individual.

For my part, I am approaching 2,000 hours and am enjoying it just as much as when I was at the 200 hours stage. If anything, I find it more enjoyable now, as I have more of an idea what I am doing than I did at 200 hours and am far more comfortable with my type. I flew a manually flown visual approach into a Spanish airport yesterday and it still gave me an ear to ear grin that took all day to wear off. These days I have passengers complimenting me on how nice the landing was rather than an instructor debriefing me on my myriad shortcomings.

However, I know guys I trained with who were moaning about doing circuits at 50 hours and were claiming to be "bored" doing cross country exercises at 100 hours. I bet they are those people who say the job isn't what they thought it would be.

adverse-bump
19th Aug 2008, 13:12
Whilst sitting there in the cruise I have gotten board out of my mind.

But for the most part theres always agood conversation going. and every now and then you'll see a sunset that you just know everyone on board is looking at and loving! And you wouldnt want to be anywhere else in the world. then theres the times when you stuck in chop trying to find your way around CBs. tea has hit the roof, all the nav bags are tipped up and you cant eat your dinner to save your life. And you cant help but think you'd rather be anywhere else!

Then you get paid and the smile returns!

FougaMagister
19th Aug 2008, 17:28
I actually like the job more than when I started; back then (not too long ago, mind you), flying meant line training so there was quite a bit to take in. Now I feel pretty much on top of the aircraft and its systems.

I still go to work smiling, love the company ambiance, the routes, the flying, etc. I get to witness beautiful sunrises (more than sunsets in my case), get to do more hand-flying than most, work with a great bunch of people, get lots of nightstops in good hotels, visit places I had never been to, don't risk jetlag, do some challenging flying, have a laugh... all the while getting paid good money!

Is it as good as I expected? No. It's much better. Would I do it all over again, including all the hard work, effort and money to get that first flying job? You're damn right I would!

Cheers :cool:

redsnail
19th Aug 2008, 22:40
6,500 hours.

Never bored. Love the hand flying circling stuff we do into the Alps.
Love the challenges of figuring out how to get into a new place.
Also enjoy the easy peasy stuff because I can "relax" to a certain extent.

Really enjoy winning the landing competition. :ok: