PDA

View Full Version : Rate 1 Turn with EFIS?

Simon150
19th Aug 2008, 08:22
Just a quick question somebody may be able to clear up.

Is a rate 1 turn indicated on a typical EFIS PFD or do you need to use TAS+7 to determine bank angle to use? I know the top triangle spilts to give you lateral acceleration (like slip ball) but can't find any reference to the turn indicator.

I have been through the CRJ-200 POH (in prep for MCC) and can't find any indication that there is a rate of turn indicator in the cockpit. Maybe somebody familiar with the G1000 or ideally the CRJ can provide an idea of what the situation is?

cheer all

dbee
19th Aug 2008, 16:54
If you look at the rules for holding, they say "rate 1 or 25 deg AOB whichever gives the lesser bank" ; you will find that 25 deg is about 170kt, for Rate 1. So, if your holding speed is, say, 200kt, then you are bank limited. Nothing to do with aircraft type or EFIS! - dbee

Simon150
19th Aug 2008, 20:42
roger.....thanks

That certainly makes sense for the faster aircraft, but I had a good look at a DA-42 panel which I am pretty sure wouldn't be holding or conducting procedural approaches at 170pls kts and I couldn't find a Turn Indicator anywhere!

Maybe somebody who has just completed an IR on the DA-42 could enlighten me as to the method they use to ensure a rate 1 turn?

Adam106
19th Aug 2008, 21:23
The G1000 has a turn rate indicator on the PFD. It's part of the HSI and has two tick marks either side of the current heading. A curved purple arrow extends from the current heading around the HSI towards the tick marks. The first tick mark indicates a half rate 1 turn and the second full tick is a rate one turn. A guess a picture would explain it better.