PDA

View Full Version : Heathrow Academy

wwoody01
18th Aug 2008, 16:28
Hi
Thinking about a visit to LHR later in the week. Whilst probably trying out Myrtle Ave I was also thinking about visiting the Academy (old visitor centre). Has anyone used this facility. It is mentioned on the LHR website but trying to get through and get visitor info has so far proved fruitless. Also if there are any other good spots north side any info much appreciated.

Ta
Steve

captain_flynn
18th Aug 2008, 20:11
Just out of interest what is the Heathrow Academy?

Groundloop
19th Aug 2008, 09:11
The so called "viewing platform" next to the "Academy" is a complete waste of space. There are trees in front of it and right beside it!

apaddyinuk
19th Aug 2008, 13:34
I dont think you can actually go into the Academy either. Its basically just a fancy name for a training facility for the BAA!!!

If landings westerly you are better off just heading for the ends of the runways either to Hattan Cross or the back of the Park Inn. Unfortunately there is not really anywhere good to go to if the landings are easterly at the moment. There used to be loads of spotters milling around the road by the end of 9L but since they started building the monorail thingy this has effectively stopped the spotters!

It may be worth your while going into the Police Station by the slip road into the central area and ask the chaps behind the counter where they suggest. They are very open to spotters and can suggest good spots along with a list of do's and dont's!

Leezyjet
19th Aug 2008, 21:46
Have a look at my reply in this thread :-

http://www.pprune.org/spectators-balcony-spotters-corner/332906-where-err-spot-heathrow.html

The links to google maps will show you what are pretty much the best places to go.

:ok:

wwoody01
19th Aug 2008, 23:11
Cheers all
Plenty of places to try - just need to wait for some decent weather.

Ta
Steve