PDA

View Full Version : Hour Building In The Middle East...Help!

ghandou
18th Aug 2008, 13:10
I've recently completed my ATPL theory and have had to come back to work to build up funds for the next part of the course (CPL/IR etc). As part of my work assignment I've been transferred to Saudi Arabia for a year working 2 weeks with 1 week off.

I'm trying to get ahead of the game a little and do some flying over here to build my 100hrs P1, but so far have drawn up blanks of where and how to fly. In my week off I have access to Qatar, Bahrain, Dubai and Abu Dhabi, but as of yet have not managed to get a reply from the flight schools in Qatar or Dubai on whether hour building is available. Does anybody have any experience with private flying in the Middle East? And if so where did/do you fly from and what were the general costs?

Anything on the subject would be much appreciated. Many thanks,

Jamie

BarryW
18th Aug 2008, 17:44
Jamie,

In the U.A.E there are several flight schools, most have a waiting list of at least a year. Customer service is not necessarily a top priority, try giving them a call instead of emailing them.

In the U.A.E you will need to apply for security clearance at the airport you are flying from.This normally takes about 2 weeks, requirements vary from school to school, not having a u.a.e residence visa might make it a little more difficult.

You will need to convert your license to a gcc, this requires you to write the airlaw test(There are no study books, only pdfs of the regs), 10 hours instruction and a flight test. You have to do this on your ppl as com license can only be converted with a letter from a sponsor. All this has to be done through a flight school.

Then prepare to drop $$$, $250/hour this is for a c172S.
In summer its hot, you climb out of the plane and you are soaked from sweat. The viz is crap from the haze and dust. Airports dont have parallel taxiways, so expect to orbit or go-around due to back tracking traffic.

1500 ft below is uncontrolled but apparently you are in contact with dxb dep, and are always given a transponder sqwauk code.
There might also be a restriction to what time of day you can fly, due to heavy traffic into dxb.

Try and contact Fujairah Aviation Academy,

You need lots of luck, patience.
Good Luck and welcome to the Middle East

BigGrecian
18th Aug 2008, 21:07
The majority of foreign workers in Saudi Arabia have to "surrender" their passport when in country - which may prohibit you from travelling to other middle eastern countries.

There is no private flying in Saudi. There is talk of a flying club of sorts opening in Riyadh, I believe maybe something to do with BAE, but haven't heard anything on that front in a while.

ghandou
19th Aug 2008, 09:06
Thanks Barry for a very insightful overview of flying in the Middle East. I've actually be in the Middle East on and off for well over 25 years so I'm quite clued up on the luck and patience factor that you mention, it's something you learn the hard way over here! Lol! From what you say I think I would just be better off flying in Florida for a month, sounds like it will be a lot more enjoyable and nowhere near as expensive and I can forget about all the hassles of not having residency in UAE etc etc. Thanks again for your input and advice.

BigGrecian thanks for your advice also, although in Saudi I surrender my Iqama and keep my passport as I have a multi-entry residence permit which allows me to leave and travel freely throughout the Middle East whenever necessary.

Does anybody have any experience with flying in either Bahrain or Qatar?

BarryW
19th Aug 2008, 17:06
I'm pretty sure there is no GA in Bahrain or Qatar either, but my be mistaken

I am also planning on doing some flying in Florida to build up the hours.

I book a flight here once in a while with an instructor to keep competent, and just to get back into an aircraft.
The performance of the a/c suffers dramatically in the heat and humidity, so does the pilot I don't think I have ever sweated so much in a cockpit before

jay1909
30th Aug 2008, 19:32
www.horizonuae.ae (http://www.horizonuae.ae), communicated with them via e-mail a year ago when I was half way through FAA CPL/H as a way to build hours, very responsive and helpful, never went so can't give anymore info about them, but they are in the right area. Cheers.

Eddi
27th Sep 2008, 15:25
Hi,
I will be one week in Dubai and Abu Dhabi, beginning of October.

Does somebody have an update (connection like flying-school or so) about GA? I would like to rent a single-engine-plane.

Thanks
regards
Eduard

ghandou
27th Sep 2008, 18:33
Hi Eddi,

I tried communicating with the flight school mentioned above, Horizon International Flight Academy, with regards to renting a plane and hour building. This was the reply they sent me:

"Thank you for your email, we have not yet began rental services however we hope to do so soon. I will add you to our mailing list and inform you when this service is available."

This is correct as of 23-Sep-08 and so far I haven't managed to find any flight schools within the Middle East that offer this kind of service.

If anyone has any updates, then please let us know. Many thanks,

Jamie