PDA

View Full Version : How can a B777 first officer be so young?

above_trutth
18th Aug 2008, 08:47
Hi!

I was looking at some B777 pictures on Airliners.net and found this picture:
Photos: Boeing 777-2B8/ER Aircraft Pictures | Airliners.net (http://www.airliners.net/photo/Austrian-Airlines/Boeing-777-2B8-ER/1229298/L/)

And, I just have to ask: How can such a young gentleman be a B777 FO? He looks like 25-26 years old... maximum.

Canuck15
18th Aug 2008, 09:05
come to india and you will see 19 year old first officers on the B737NGand 25 or 26 is not young for a 777 FO if you come thru t he airlines cadet programregards

Re-Heat
18th Aug 2008, 09:52
I suppose you might be alarmed to find 19/20 year olds in command of front line fighters as well...

BA and its previous incarnations have had such youngsters operating large aircraft for years.

18th Aug 2008, 10:04
If he was in the left hand seat then maybe there's a question there, but not the right!

Artificial Horizon
18th Aug 2008, 10:17
Captain I flew with recently started with BA as a cadet when he was 18 years old and his first type out of flying college was the 747 classic at 19 years old. So it is certainly achievable, he did say that he did get lots of funny looks from pax when they saw him sitting in the right hand seat on flight deck visits (when they were allowed).:eek:

BelArgUSA
18th Aug 2008, 10:28
I recall the late 1960s in USA...
xxx
Some F/Os with Continental Airlines could not be upgraded to captain, until they had reached their 23rd birthday, minimum age for issue of the FAA ATPL. So, these few gentlemen were probably sitting in the LH seat of 720s or 727s by the age of 23 plus a few weeks. I also recall some PSA pilots having that situation. With PanAm, we had a 27 years old checking-out as 747 captain.
xxx
Back then, the FAA ATPL required 1,200 hours TT as pilot...
Try that with your so called MPL, or whatever you call that piece of paper.
Was the good old days, with the barrel of oil at $16.oo.
xxx
Happy contrails
:)

potkettleblack
18th Aug 2008, 14:36
26 isn't that young in the scheme of things! If he started his type rating at say 18 years of age and was line flying by his 19th birthday then he would have 7 years experience. If his company maxed him out at 900 hours pa then he would have around 6,300hrs on type. Considering the starting point for most jobs is a minimum of only 500 hours on type then you can draw your own conclusions as to whether you consider him to be experienced or not.

Human Factor
18th Aug 2008, 14:54
I just turned 28 when I started flying the 777. If I remember correctly, the youngest person on the fleet at the time was 24, and he's senior to me! :ugh:

There is at least one teenage co-pilot at BA today, although he's not on longhaul.:cool:

above_trutth
18th Aug 2008, 15:53
I see. But why is it that some pilots under 30 are happy just to get a job, while others are flying B777 around the world?

If I would like to achieve something similar - how do I do it? Is the answer a cadet program? Or Oxford school?

To fly a B777 when you're under 30 years... wow.. :eek: I just didn't thought that would be possible when you read how hard it is to get a job in the cockpit - even at a Dash 8.

Tiger_ Moth
18th Aug 2008, 17:52
I think it can be agreed that that guy has done alright...

BerksFlyer
18th Aug 2008, 17:56
I think it can be agreed that that guy has done alright...

Yes, but it isn't abnormal and certainly nothing new like the OP seems to think.

expedite08
18th Aug 2008, 20:04
Its all down to luck to be honest! These young types that get on the heavies at such a young age have the contacts! Daddy flies for x airline and hey presto your in through the back door!

Most of them dont know thier arse from thier elbow but they have the contacts/connections!

BerksFlyer
18th Aug 2008, 20:24
Its all down to luck to be honest! These young types that get on the heavies at such a young age have the contacts! Daddy flies for x airline and hey presto your in through the back door!

Most of them dont know thier arse from thier elbow but they have the contacts/connections!

I think that's incredibly unfair.

If you start training having left school at 18, finish 19/20, you could be in the right hand seat at 20/21 if you were lucky with the timing and airlines were hiring. Say you were flying for 3 odd years for any short haul airline and you applied to BA, they could offer you long haul as you would have >2000 hours. So it is plausable to be flying long haul by mid-twenties. Yes, it's all about luck, but it's unfair to say every young pilot is crap and only there because dad's the chief pilot.

potkettleblack
19th Aug 2008, 08:06
Oh dear another bitter and twisted wannabe. Don't let the truth get in the way of a good story though.

Anyone who knows the recruitment process for the likes of BA knows that even if daddy or mummy were the Chief Pilot then they will still have to jump through the same hoops as everyone else.

Nepotism will generally only get you into the smaller operators. The big boys have batteries of tests and legions of HR people that revel in the delights of ensuring that each box is ticked. Our outfit has been known for a bit of nepotism in the past although it will only get your cv onto the right desk. After that you still have to pass interviews, pyscho babble tests, sim rides, type rating courses, pc's, line checks etc just like everyone else.

Jinkster
19th Aug 2008, 09:21
When I flew for Ryanair, I sat in the flight deck on the 73-800 at 24 and the skipper was 25!!

Just don't tell the punters!!!! :8

Beafis
19th Aug 2008, 15:53
Plenty of 20 year old Second Officers at KLM on the Longhaul fleet.
They have starting positions as FO at KLM Cityhopper and SO at KLM!

captain.weird
20th Aug 2008, 10:47
If ou ask how can teenagers fly a 777, I know somebody that flies the 747 at Singa pore , how => Air Force.

Tcdy01
21st Aug 2008, 16:44
What can over 26year olds do that under 26 year olds cant?
He would have been through all the training that every pilot has to go through to get the job.
I don't see why age would matter.

PENKO
21st Aug 2008, 19:53
Licence: 1 year training
Typerating: 2 months
Minimum age for licence issue: 18

If you start at 17, you could be there at 18. On a 747 (or whatever gives goosebumps). Not theoretically, realistically.
:ok:

INNflight
21st Aug 2008, 20:11

Oh dear... :bored:

-------

I can't really see the point anyway? The OP shows a pic of the back head of a pilot.

Who says he's in his 20ies? He might as well be 35 and look young.

Even if he'd be 25 yrs old.... airline-sponsored flight training at 18, finishes at 20, flies short haul for four years....gives him about 3500 hrs if work is dense, right??

There's nothing abnormal of someone being on a heavy with 3000 plus hrs, right? :suspect:

PENKO
21st Aug 2008, 20:30
Whow, I wish captains had that much influence in my company!!

g109
21st Aug 2008, 22:04
not that young,

i was 26 when i started flying longhaul on the 330.

727 Whisper Jet
24th Aug 2008, 01:59
It's easy how they could be that young, they weren't born that long ago! ;)

jamie230985
24th Aug 2008, 10:35
"its all down to luck to be honest! These young types that get on the heavies at such a young age have the contacts! Daddy flies for x airline and hey presto your in through the back door!

Most of them dont know thier arse from thier elbow but they have the contacts/connections!"

i don't understand why some of you guys have such a negative opinion on new pilots. I've almost completed my training & what gives u the right to assume that I, as a 22 year old pilot, "don't know my arse from my elbow"?

the simple fact of the matter is that you don't know how old this guy is, you don't know how hard he worked to get there so you shouldn't criticise him just because you are jealous.

Maybe when this industry begins to accept that there are so many fantastic young pilot coming through the ranks will they begin to sort out this narrow minded attitude so many of the "old guard" choose to accept!!

BitMoreRightRudder
24th Aug 2008, 23:02
Maybe when this industry begins to accept that there are so many fantastic young pilot coming through the ranks will they begin to sort out this narrow minded attitude so many of the "old guard" choose to accept!!

I think you'll find once you are in the industry that the adage of "the old guard" doesn't really exist anymore. The vast majority of guys who are of "old guard" age in my company are fantastic blokes. I flew with one the other day, we worked out he got his first jet rating (707) on the day I was born and he added that he did a year of flying the line before he was given a sector to fly as PF! Things are a bit different today.

Whoever posted the rubbish about daddy fixing it and arse from elbow etc has an axe to grind, don't think he or she represents the attitude of most line pilots out there. As has been pointed out, F/Os flying jets in their early 20s is nothing new, certainly in Europe, and it is widely accepted. Just as long as you don't choose your sandwich before the captain has chosen his ;)

Chesty Morgan
25th Aug 2008, 00:06
what gives u the right to assume that I, as a 22 year old pilot, "don't know my arse from my elbow"?

;):}:ok:

Wireless
3rd Oct 2008, 10:13
Just as long as you don't choose your sandwich before the captain has chosen his

Haha. The glamour of modern airline life! Yep. What ya gonna go for? The squashed bacon and mayo crew butty or the leaking egg salad or maybe something off the breakfast "menu" like a sweet and sour pork wrap :hmm:. All crew food packaged neatly in... a bin bag :O

Prob just my company lol.

CEJM
4th Oct 2008, 17:15
Started flying the A330 when I was 24, while one of my friends on the fleet was 22. Can't see the problem with it and certainly has nothing to do with having the contacts.

In our company it is all down to seniority and we have been lucky to join the company at the right time. :ok:

In all my years on the A330 never had any problems with any of the old guard.

You will probably see that Expedite08 is a bitter and twisted wanabee.

waffles
4th Oct 2008, 19:00
I was sitting in the RHS of the B737 at 21.
That could very well have been a B767 had HR called a different person in the pool !
Age is not a issue when it comes to flying the aircraft and many may find these younger pilots have qualities and an outlook that is superior to many older pilots who are starting to focus more on their pensions than the job!

P.S. If you look closely, you'll see 3 stripes on his shoulder indicating a certain level of experience.

Obbie
4th Oct 2008, 19:32
If it makes you feel better, youngest 777 FO here in Canada is in his
very late 40's

Very different world in North America compared to Europe.

Nobody here makes it onto wide bodies, until it is very well earned.

It has nothing to do with skill......just simple supply and demand.

Junior might be a total joke.....but if he is the best they can find at
the time, then he gets the job......the airline is not going to leave the
seat empty and cancel flights.

Young doesn't mean special skilled.......simply that they couldn't attract
anyone more experienced.

Lookforshooter
6th Oct 2008, 00:28
The next time anyone wants to listen to an airline captain pontificate on his experience, just remember that 19 year old sitting in the seat right next to them and try to keep a straight face. If it seems crazy that airlines are passing on experienced pilots to put kids up front, your right, it is crazy.

Re-Heat
6th Oct 2008, 09:11
Has to be the right experience, training and personality. Simple hours do not necessarily equate to the best individual in a particular company.

If it were, there would be no interviews, and all would be hired based upon hours logged. It is not that way for a reason.

corklad
6th Oct 2008, 21:40
You can't beat experience! And most people can recognize the guys who have worked their way up via turbo-props and the smaller jets. Other than that though good luck to the guy, if he didn't have the "chops" for it he wouldn't have gotten his type rating.

fadedfootpaths
6th Oct 2008, 22:30
"its all down to luck to be honest! These young types that get on the heavies at such a young age have the contacts! Daddy flies for x airline and hey presto your in through the back door!

Most of them dont know thier arse from thier elbow but they have the contacts/connections!"

Well, its pretty true here in India. I knew a 22 year old guy who failed in his CPL meteorology exam nearly 3 times yet is flying the A320 because his old man is the Head of Ops in that airline. He roughly has about 350 hrs on the A320 now and a TT of about 550 and he is going to be type rated on the A330 in summer 2009. :ugh:

SNS3Guppy
7th Oct 2008, 07:36
If it seems crazy that airlines are passing on experienced pilots to put kids up front, your right, it is crazy.

This, based on your vast airline experience? Oh, that's right! When you posted as SSG, you did tell us that you were rejected by at least one airline where you sought work. Of course, that was only one of your many alter-egos...and your story changes every time you post under a different name.

wheelbarrow
7th Oct 2008, 09:53
There is a freight company in Belgium that has many 20 ish year olds flying the A300. Some start with as few hours as 180 total time and the A300 is their first non-training aircraft type. As you would expect there are some who are very switched on and with it, others who take a bit longer.
There are many who upgrade well before most North American companies would start to look at them for F/O positions!
It is simply a case of being in the right place at the right time, plus possibly having a training captain at airline running the flight school.

PPRuNeUser0215
7th Oct 2008, 15:26
Basically a useless thread... yes it is possible, no it is not that rare (Air Force, Airlines, GA, etc...) and no they don't crash every week.

Pprune at his best. How about the following thread. 20 year old pilot has control when 767 takes off.... By rotating at the right time, he avoided chuch/school/hospital and thanks to the Pilot who raised the gear when called to do so, managed avoid killing 300 people on board.
BBA News reports that the co pilot had received extensive and appropriate training. He had also passed all required test, exams, LPCs, OPCs, Line Checks, Medicals, ATPLs.... So BBA news asks the question ? Are we all in danger to be flown by FOs such as the one mentioned above ?
:zzz::ugh:
What about the landing ? Collision avoided by pure luck or again another non event reported here ?

Sad, sad, sad :(

speedbird37
16th Nov 2008, 16:00
the gentleman on the pic is 33

fadedfootpaths
16th Nov 2008, 18:02
How do you know???:rolleyes:

EYZ
16th Nov 2008, 23:49
Just so I'm sure can someone tell me if im dangerous too..

I'm 36, Ive had my command of the A340-500/600 for 4 years, I have nearly 9000 hours, so are we looking for hours experiance or age?

I just want to see if I should look for an older wiser head to come fly with me?

As someone said this is utter tosh!!

UntamedFighterPilot
17th Nov 2008, 10:19
maybee he just looks after his skin etc, leaving him with a young appearence

Leezyjet
17th Nov 2008, 17:07
A number of years ago I used to know a South African chap who was a skipper on the L10-11 and he was only 27. He had been in the South African Air Force for a number of years before switching to Commercial Airliners.

:\

fadedfootpaths
17th Nov 2008, 17:19
This thread is so dumb:ugh:

exekpilot
30th Nov 2008, 21:20
Ability has nothing to do with age. I am sure he has gone through a rigorous test system and made it all the way to the top:ok:

fade to grey
1st Dec 2008, 08:04
I have no issue with young or old pilots...they both bring different skills to the flightdeck.However some of the younger pilots sometimes think doing a 'good ILS' or whatever means they are great pilots - well you cannot buy experience its as simple as that.It takes years to accure.
Personally I prefer flying with FOs who are of a similar age to me (36) becaue we have more in common - namely kids,wives etc. Maturity is a factor as well.

206Fan
1st Dec 2008, 19:13
Same with helicopters, offshore ect.. Alot of the current north sea commanders started out as Co jockeys in their early twenties.. Its life.

above_trutth
17th Dec 2008, 10:19
Hello!

I had no idea that this thread would be so "popular", though not the way I hoped.

What I actually was asking for, was how I - soon finished with high school - could achieve the same thing. I think it's great that young men are sitting up in the front! I have no doubts at all.

All I would like to know is how I could be a 777 FO myself. Where should I take my pilot training? Via a cadet program arranged be an airline, or just a random flight school and work my way up from there?

Have a great day!

Ivor_Novello
17th Dec 2008, 12:38
Nevertheless.... it's a great picture !!! :)

Vee1Kut
21st Dec 2008, 21:44
The captains just want to make retirement, they weren't culled from the able ranks, but like the 19 years, were culled for being obedient...pretty much like the military.

SpeedbirdB747
22nd Dec 2008, 08:59
Unlike the USA you do not have to be an AARP member to fly or be cabin crew on a wide bodied aircraft in the rest of the world.

Re-Heat
22nd Dec 2008, 13:22
A very good friend of mine is a Senior First Officer on the A380 & A340 with Emirates... age 29.
He's not on both, as Emirates do not operate with crew dual-qualified on the A380 and A330/340 fleets.

Poose
22nd Dec 2008, 13:53
Re-Heat... I stand corrected. He must no longer be on the A340, then...

Not being at that lofty stage... the intricacies of Emirates rosters are way beyond me... :)
Please forgive my ignorance! I only know what I am told!

Incidentally, this chap holds the title of the first Scouser to fly the A380...
And yes, he has been suitably abused... with the usual jokes! ;)

Poose
23rd Dec 2008, 09:44
Incidentally, Re-Heat... Would you be calling me a liar? :mad:

For the record... My friend's name is Colin K*** and after six years with Easyjet he went to Emirates in October 2006. He has been flying the A340 out of Dubai since then. He started flying the A380 about a month ago...

I can forward you his contact details if you like, I think somebody needs to tell him, that he has been flying a 'figment of my imagination' for the past month...

By the way, Re-Heat, feel free to correct any spelling or grammar mistakes, if it makes you feel better about yourself... Is that not what people do on this forum? :mad:

Vee1Kut
1st Jan 2009, 18:11
So is this going to be about the 'rigourous training and experience' that FOs have to possess or should we just discuss how and why the airlines like to pass up stacks of 10000 hour pilots for the 600 hour wannabes?

koke-a-nut
27th Jan 2009, 19:56
Is that you MG (Poose)? He's not lying by the way.....you owe me a beer LOL

fabbe92
29th Jan 2009, 14:39
Maybe thes young longhaul FOs could be a good arguemnt for me idea of a Integrated course with a big school is the best?

Oz_TB10
29th Jan 2009, 17:02
cousin in Asia, started off with 734 at age 19 RHS, A330 at 21 full ATPL RHS, 744 at age 25 RHS then back to the 734 for command at age 27.

1500 hrs 734, 3500++ A330, 1500++ 747 = should be right sort of hours for command, of course he did qualify for command not only because he had the hours, its because he earnt it with all the hardwork! But this was years ago.

larry231
7th Feb 2009, 08:58
One of my previous students got a job as an FO on a 744 in Africa after less than 200 hours. Thanks to one of his relative in his family that owns the company. Now it's always been like that in this industry and others and it will always be. No matter what the age is, you have to start somewhere, and the pilot is not to blame. Would you have refused such a job if you were young or quite unexperienced ? I seriously doubt so. I say good for them. We don't all have luck or contacts, we'll just have to do it the long way and suck it up.

Brian Abraham
8th Feb 2009, 05:39
Was SLF on a 738 and saw a young chap in uniform in the fwd galley. Looking down saw four rings and thought "too young", would still be a virgin, but then that was the airlines name as well. Jealous? Not half. :* :{

LambOfGod
8th Feb 2009, 08:05
Virgin Blue? I hope I get to fly for them:ok:

johnnyDB
8th Feb 2009, 08:18
this thread stil going!?

HighHeeled-FA
10th Feb 2009, 10:44
Number 1, it's not that unusual to see young pilots (less than 30 y/o) flying the heavy jets; Being in the right place at the right time, hard work, luck, or simply knowing the right people.

Number 2: Some guys in their mid-thirties can actually look much younger: luck, looking after themselves, or simply knowing the right people - (hair transplant specialists ;)

lol. I only found this out as I have a habit of pulling hair during....

fabbe92
10th Feb 2009, 19:47
My view on it all has changed a bit. Offcorse the most common way is to go the small way which means you go on the small plane and slowly work your way up from a 737 or a regioanl plane.

But maybe some airlines hire pilots as relief pilots on the 747s etc? This means that they go from relief to captain on the 747 and doesnīt have to type rate again etc.

Have a look at these lads from KLM.

APP 264 Meet the Flight Crew (http://www.ap264.com/crew.htm)

captain_overspeed
11th Feb 2009, 04:06
For some reason, young pilots don't surprise me. It seems like America is the only country were you gotta be 21+ to be an airline pilot of any sort.

The only time I wish I was from another country is for my flight training which i have no money for anymore (Embry-Riddle drained the banks with sucky half trained uninformed instructor).

I need to figure out a way to get dual citizenship so I can get into a cadet program. God knows I have what it takes. oh well :(

fabbe92

I envy every soul on that page. Especially the KLM peeps.

BelArgUSA
11th Feb 2009, 06:49
The age at which you will fly a certain type of aircraft depends on many factors. If you get hired as pilot with a regional carrier, do not expect to become a 777 F/O at age 26... unless they start operating that type between Gatwick and Birmingham. But you might definitely be a CRJ captain at that age. Most airlines give promotions by seniority (being date of hire).
xxx
I had a friend joining KLM right around 1970, his initial position was DC-9 F/O, but he hated short haul flights, and eventually got promoted to DC-10 F/O about 1 or 2 years later... his age was about 25, and that was a "heavy" and "long haul airplane" as "age" seems to impress many here. He then became DC-10 captain, about 1980, and when KLM got MD-11s, he went on that type. No need to say how highly experienced he was on DC-10/MD-11 types, finally as a TRE-TRI.
xxx
I flew a 6 month contract with Cargolux in the early 1990s, 747-200. I recall having a few F/Os who were maybe as young as say age 23 or 24 flying a "long haul 747" at their age. As impressive as a 777 at age 26... To my opinion, the "size" of an aircraft does not matter. It does not take much more muscles to handle a 747, than piloting a CRJ. And as far as I am concerned, the 747 is much more stable to handle...
xxx
Yes, in USA, still takes years to fly long haul aircraft, as pilots have a salary index based on aircraft gross weight. Do not forget, for the FAA/ATPL you need to be 23 of age, and the large airlines, AA, DL, UA prefer candidates with a college degree. That brings minimum ages up.
xxx
The Pprune culture is the teen "I want to be a 380 captain" generation. As your voices are so loud, learn instead, to listen to old farts and their recommendations. We want you kids to acquire maturity and education first to be airline pilots, not kids crying for a new toy. I was quite succesful as an airline pilot instructor, but change diapers was not in my job description.
xxx
:}
Happy contrails

L1011-500
11th Feb 2009, 07:08
No surprises above-truth , I became a FO on the L1011 at the age of 24 and at 27 on the B747-400. On the L1011 I had a friend of mine who became a capt at a age of 27/8 and 3 year later capt on B747-300. We had a lot of funny looks from the paxīs and ground crew if we were flying together. Is just the way they say: beeing on the right place on the right time. And I tell you that the concept age vs airplane only works in the US, and to be quite honest with you, i think is wrong.

Happy landings

skyhighbird
11th Feb 2009, 08:24
I had a look at the link. One of the guys who is 23 and flies the 737 owns an Aston martin! wow

nick14
11th Feb 2009, 09:29
He has an ambition to own one and doesn't own it yet. :}

N

skyhighbird
11th Feb 2009, 10:09
hmmm. I'm gonna do great on an observation test aren't I.

N-1
15th Feb 2009, 16:39
There was a 19 year old First Officer at Air Madrid on the A340..... was he young enough???? Just remember the way people entered that company and you will understand many things ..... :yuk:

fabbe92
15th Feb 2009, 19:25
It canīt be fun. Of corse you are the king of the world if you are a pilot on the 747 at the age of 21. But to me it sounds like you miss something. I would rather get the experience of the smaller planes and work my way up. Its nice to be 65 and have flewn everything from the c172 to the 747 I think. So if KLM called me tomorrow and said that I could start on the 737 or the 747. I would take the 737.

Cheers:ok:

Mach086
16th Feb 2009, 08:15
Really? Nah. Serious? Come of it!

Surely you would choose the 747.

Then again you could be right. If I were offered RHS SIA A340-500 doing the 18 hour 30 min trip to LA, I'd probably turn it down for something short haul.

nick14
16th Feb 2009, 14:37
Most of the guys from AP264 who are flying long haul are relief pilots and are not operating the aircraft, think they don't have a type rating either. They are there to extend the duty hours of the FO and Capt cheaply.

Nick

fabbe92
16th Feb 2009, 14:42
Yes that is true. I belive Emirates hired fresh pilots to do this as well. Of course you get to fly to exotic destinations and get layovers for a day or so so you get to travel. You earn well and you donīt do much. You spend your time sleeping or whatching IFE etc. But it isnīt fun!

How fun is it to just sit in the cockpit of the 747 at cruise level and talk to atc and keeping hold on figures? Of course that is fun when you get to fly all the way but these pilots never get to fly the plane manually. The donīt know how its like to fly her allmoast.

So I would prefer to fly the 737 and get to take her up and land her 3-6 times a day.:ok:

nick14
16th Feb 2009, 14:53
I don't think you quite understand the role of a Cruise relief pilot.

Im pretty sure they are paid less as thats the whole point of having a non-type rated crew member, so they can increase the profit margins.

They will undoubtedly only occupy the FO seat for a few hours during the cruise. Not exactly flying the aircraft is it!?

They will have to keep their licences and ratings valid, not sure whether its at their own cost or offered by the company?

Nick

Jet22
16th Feb 2009, 15:13
To Be Honest i don’t see what all the fuss is about.

I am 16 and would love to be sitting in the left hand seat of a 777 in 10 years time. I think we shouldn’t judge the pilots by the age but by the flying ability. If they can get 300 PAX from A to B without causing havoc than that means that they are good at their job.

Pilots should be judge by the way they fly and not their age.

fabbe92
16th Feb 2009, 16:50
nick 14 canīt you read english? Okay we disagree about the pay. They probably earn less like you say. But all the things you just explained to me, I allready said in my post!!!!

Read man!

Vems
16th Feb 2009, 18:55
Fabbe, "pilots never get to fly the plane manually" I do not agree with that.

First of all, they do fly the a/c manually, obviously not as a pilot would in a C152 of course, but they do.

Some people work there because they want to be in the air, they feel free there, they like working with other people.. it's never the same, even though sometimes it seems like it. Ohhh, that's words of an easyjet pilot :E

Fabbe, you want to go for airlines, yeah?

I did a terrible mistake before, 'blabd' about myself on the forum and made so many 'enemies', what i learned is that you need to take others opinions into count is well, get advice from older pilots who have way more hours logged in their logbook than you, listen, learn, listen and learn. Take the advice! It's really helpful!

What I did just last week, was a list of reasons for and against working in airlines. At some point in my life I do want to go for airlines, yes, but not really as soon as I finish my training. I want to try different things, meet new people, visit places.. and what's more important.. HAVE FUN!

You're young, I'm actually not that much older than yourself, don't plan your career for the next 10 years, do worry about what's going to happen in the next few months.. not the next few years. Take time in your training, enjoy it, have fun!

I've just had my first lesson on sunday! The most amazing feeling in the world!
Enjoy your life, we're still young, don't try to rush your training and become airlines youngest FO. There are hundreds of different things you can try in General aviation, try them, give eveything a go, and then when you've been though it all, start loooking at the airlines, that's going to be fun too! but personally I love the loud Cessnas even though I actually fly on a PA-28. :p

Good luck!

Vems.

EDIT, I just wanted to add..

Calm down with your attitude.. people can recognise you very easily here, plus I think that they would prefer to talk to someone young and mature, than a 16 year old who doesn't have a clear idea of flying but plans his future for the next ho ho ho.. years. They're not going to take you seriously.

INNflight
16th Feb 2009, 18:57
Just fricking stop it!!!!

It's a PHOTO of the back of a guy's head. How can you loose sleep over that? Grrrrr. BAD KIDS! :E

nick14
17th Feb 2009, 10:22
Yes actually I can read english,

I was merely trying to offer you some information.

N

Rapha_BA
17th Feb 2009, 11:33
Alright,read a few posts and it made me laugh so much...Please,please,tell me,that you guys are aspiring to become pilots???really?
Oh my God!!!if so,you are a looooong way,as maturity counts a lot(mind you,you CAN be a very mature 20 yo)
Honestly,does it really matter if he's young?I've seen plenty of 20-29 yo's F/os in Big jets such as B777!
The comments are poor and show a lack of knowledge on the industry,the time you spent writing crap,or creating crap threads,you could be researching or doing something usefull and constructive,maybe,aiming to be like the chap in the photo...

ea340
17th Feb 2009, 12:02
Had lunch recently with an 88 year old gentleman who had 30 mission as a Wellington pilot before his 22 nd birthday. His first mission was at about 270 hours. He did say he had to grow up very fast . After the war he spent 36 years as an airline pilot retired on the B747 was promoted to captain on DC 4 at 27.

LVLCHG
23rd Feb 2009, 10:14
It isn't that unusual! I'm 23 and a FO on the 747-400 with BA, and there are plenty of young guys flying long haul. The guy in the picture doesn't even look THAT young anyway!

Well said Rapha_BA!

121ace
23rd Feb 2009, 10:53
I honestly find it hard to believe that a mature group of pilots and wannabe's are arguing over such a ridiculous question. The thread starter should be locked up for being an incompetent fool with little knowledge of the aviation industry and this thread should be closed!

fabbe92
23rd Feb 2009, 12:53
I do agree that it is becoming a little bit booring now. We have allready gotten the answer. Its the same thing. You donīt have to be more skilled or have bigger muscles or be older in order to fly the 747 or 777. They have pretty much the same instruments as the 737 and the same controll stick. It is just that normally older persons with more experience work on the larger airplanes. That is how it works in the airline industry. But some times younger people get the oppurtunitie to fly bigger planes. What is the big fanatisism about this matter? Sure if I could fly the 747 as a 23 year old I would be bery happy, but I am happy to become a pilot and fly whatever plane there is. The big planes may come whith time.

So please lets close this thread now!!

Celtic Pilot
23rd Feb 2009, 13:44
Glad to see that you understand the system now fabbe...

FLCH
23rd Feb 2009, 14:06
How come the guy in the left seat doesn't have gray hair ? I thought all the pilots flying heavy planes had gray hair ??

Maybe he's using hair dye ?? Inquiring minds want to know..... :ugh:

EpsilonVaz
23rd Feb 2009, 16:47
I am 21 and an A320 F/O. You will find many 21 year old pilots out there, some more mature than others. Clearly, it takes a certain amount of maturity to work in this industry. The company I work for doesn't operate any other type, however, if I was to be in the place of some that work for companies that have a more diverse fleet, I wouldn't feel it to be at all unreasonable that I could have the opportunity to fly a large widebody in the next few years.

That said, I started training at the age of 19, and some of my "classmates" really had no maturity at all, and it was pretty clear they didn't understand what was required from them by the industry they were getting into. Those guys really struggled through their training, some even dropped out. This is not necceseraly due to low aptitude, but more related to not knowing the difference between time to work and time to play.

Everyone is different, I believe that you need to put in 150% to get 100% out. Work hard, play hard, and you can achive anything :ok:.

747 forever
23rd Dec 2010, 06:50
my question is, how did these youngsters get to be pilots of aircrafts like the 777 at that age? You need lots of hours to be one. COuld they have gained a lot of hours in short time? Something to be impressed about

747 forever
23rd Dec 2010, 06:53
OMG your 23 and fly FO on a 747? That is amazing, please tell me how you did. Iv always wanted to fly the 747 at a young age like that but its very hard. Please tell me how

vserian
23rd Dec 2010, 07:51
Come to India and just see into the Air India B777 cockpits. There are FOs that are just 21 years old ( including ladies). By the way i am also a B777 pilot, i started on the B777 at the age of 27. i started working as an Airline pilot at the age of 19, my first job was on the B737-200 and about 2 years later was selected for the 747-400 but never flew it ,they later sent me to the Airbus 310 fleet.

Virtual Reality
23rd Dec 2010, 14:37
747 forever,

It is possible and achievable.

I have a friend who got his COMMAND on B777 at the age of 28 with a legacy carrier. At that time he was the youngest in his company (and still stand until today) to achieve the command status on B777. This is how he started his career.

Age 20 - Graduated from flying school.

Age 21-22 - Flying B734 as an FO.

Age 23-25 - Flying B744 as an FO.

Age 26-27 - Flying B734 as a Capt.

Age 28 - Promoted to B777 Capt.

Today he is a TRE/TIRE on B777 and he achieved that at the age of 31. He was the lucky one because he hit 3500 TT (minimum hours in his company to get promoted to a Capt) at the age of 25 and had an outstanding performance in all his training/check records + there was a vacancy for a promotion.

You have to be at the right place and time in order to achieve that as well as good track record.

VR :cool:

dan1165
23rd Dec 2010, 16:18
At 5 y.o , I was space shuttle captain ...:E

THICKO
25th Dec 2010, 18:31
I joined B(E)A at age 19....

...and got my command at 43 :)

747 forever
27th Dec 2010, 04:21
the thing I want to know is how to be a pilot of a 747/777 at a young age like 25. You need a lot of hours and experience on big jets. That is also for first officer, there like 35 or 40 years of age. SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME EXACTLY HOW TO BE A 747 PILOT AT A YOUNG AGE!!!!:eek::confused::mad:

neville_nobody
27th Dec 2010, 05:09
the thing I want to know is how to be a pilot of a 747/777 at a young age like 25. You need a lot of hours and experience on big jets. That is also for first officer, there like 35 or 40 years of age. SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME EXACTLY HOW TO BE A 747 PILOT AT A YOUNG AGE

The fact is that in some parts of the world flying a big jet is very difficult and in other parts of the world it is the first thing one touches after flight school.
Countries like the USA, Canada, Australia, NZ all have either a big market or a very mature aviation market which makes getting into airlines on the whole a difficult task. No jet airline in any of these countries would hire a 200 hour pilot. Yet in Asia this is very normal and in Europe it is not that unusual either.

If you want the fastest track. Well if you are in any of the countries I mentioned there is no fast track, I would suggest that you go overseas somewhere....seriously.

If you are in Europe, get into a Low Cost Carrier ASAP, as soon as you have enough A320 or 737 time try for one of the Middle East carriers. If you are in Asia getting into a jet airline shouldn't be that difficult.

747 forever
27th Dec 2010, 09:05
so your saying that its more easy in asia? But how do the young people who work for klm, virgin or british airways become a pilot for wide bodies? They did not go to the middle east or asia. How did they without going to those kind of places? Must be so hard

neville_nobody
27th Dec 2010, 11:18
They spent time flying for low cost carriers or they fly a230/737 for that carrier then move on to the widebody. If you parents are wealthy and got your license at say 20 you could easily be on a 777/a340/747 by the time you were 30.

Don't forget some guys are lucky and go through the ranks quickly for whatever reason.

747 forever
27th Dec 2010, 22:19
license at 20? Which license? You can get your ppl at 17 ( which Im going to do) , CPL at 18 and ATPL at 21/22. Do you mean CPL at 20? I don`t think you can fly a 747/777 without an ATPL which you get at 21 or 22.
Also what lucky reason could happen? I mean you have to be at a high rank or so to be a pilot for widebodies.

Artificial Horizon
27th Dec 2010, 23:23
747FOREVER,

This is were you are getting confused, there are many airlines around the world that put cadet pilots with a CPL onto widebody aircraft. I used to fly with Captains all the time who went straight from flying school at the age of 18-20 and into the right hand seat of DC10's, 747's etc. You don't have to have an ATPL to fly wide body aircraft. I could have flown the 747 or 777 in my mid twenties but decided to stay on the A320 fleet as the long haul lifestyle is not for me. Don't get too wrapped up in deciding so early that you want to fly a particular aircraft. Fly whatever you can and enjoy each of them:p:ok:

747 forever
6th Jan 2011, 03:49
so wait you can fly for an airline without an ATPL.
The way I though of it was PPL, CPL and ATPL.
What other ways could you get a pilot license? ALso what EXACTLY is an ATPL?
I am quite confused now

Emil Almestad
7th Jan 2011, 11:55
You are still able to fly as an F/O for an airline without a ATPL. Many F/O's has CPL/ME/IR and a so called frozen ATPL (only written the theoretical exams). ATPL is only needed when taking the step to command in the left seat, so when time is ready and the company wants the F/O to step up the pilot takes the checkride (as long as he/she has the hours/age).

747 forever
19th Jan 2011, 07:19
thanks. Now I know what an ATPL is for. Can you tell me how after flight school I can go strait onto wide bodies? Long haul is my lifestyle. Also what is a cadet pilot. You said airlines put them onto wide bodies

SW1
19th Jan 2011, 15:26
747forever,

Why dont you do your own research on this silly topic! Cadet pilot info can be found on Cathay Pacific or Etihads website.

Drakestream
19th Jan 2011, 15:39
Bloody hell 747forever, long haul is not your lifestyle!! School is your lifestyle and you'd be better off concentrating on that and then concentrating on your ATPL exams and flight training before declaring 'long haul is my lifestyle'! For the vast majority of wannabes and new pilots unemployment is their lifestyle. Choices come with experience and experience takes time. Apply to whatever you can, fly whatever you can and when you have 5,000 or 6,000 hours under your belt, then, and only then, can you start trying to dictate what your lifestyle is.

As a quick side note, I'd very much like long haul to be my lifestyle too, but three and a half years into my career I consider myself extremely lucky to be flying medium turboprops on short domestic and international flights. To get this job I have moved over 4,000 miles away from home and invested heavily. It took contacts and a great deal of time and luck. I have just under 1,500 hours, I am still years away from being able to dictate what I fly, where I fly and the lifestyle I live. Having been married for just over two weeks now I'd even just love the chance to see my wife more than once every 6 weeks, but this career requires sacrifices.

jstanford
19th Jan 2011, 15:49
Quote: For the vast majority of wannabes and new pilots unemployment is their lifestyle

747 forever
20th Jan 2011, 20:45
ok ok chill out. Im only 14 take it easy. I don`t know much and that is why Im asking. Thanks for all the help but please take it easy

SW1
20th Jan 2011, 21:12
Well if youre only 14, then you have plenty of time to find out answers to all of your questions, rather than wanting to know how you can get onto a 747 by the time you are 18 or whatever! By the way we are taking it easy on you.

vserian
21st Jan 2011, 04:17
@ 747 Forever

When you are determined to be a pilot you should fly whatever comes on your way.Let it be a Cessna, a 767 or a F-16. And like the other guy said there will be a stage when you will have 1000s of hours and you can find yourself on a 747 Flight deck that day. you are still young I understand that, even I was like you when I was around your age I always wanted to fly big Aircrafts that fly very long distances, Now, I am doing that! But I didn't achieve that when I was 18, there are stages you need to go through. Sometimes you can reach that level very very fast but on the other end it is going to take hell of a time. And Long Haul Flight is not for everyone. I know over 10 B777/B747 pilots that I worked with left to fly B737, A320 and even ATRs(no joke). So its not everyone's thing to be on long hauls. The average hours for most of my flights is around 8 to 10 hrs. If you are single no problems but if you are married with kids and they are not willing to travel with you all the time then its a big problem. Its tougher than what many people thinks.