PDA

View Full Version : What is the best way to get into aviation??

nisbeat
17th Aug 2008, 01:11
sorry for posting on this thread but i feel that asking the pros is the best thing to do so here is my question.... how do i get into aviation?
what degree would be the best?
if i went in the armed forces how many years is the minimum contract?
what are the stories ive heard of companies offering flying scholarships?:eek:

sorry i dont know much about flying although that is what id like to do when older
many answers are much apreciated :ok:

pacplyer
17th Aug 2008, 01:50
My answr:

Go to med or law school and lease airplanes for pleasure. :}

sorry, sorry.... just joking.

First get a degree in something that you like to do that is Outside aviation; so if your first three aviation jobs fall apart..... and they will.... you won't be so destroyed when they go out of business or furlough you.

Your stage, that you are in, is a matter of keeping your options open. Get as much experience at shoe string outfits (small operators) as possible. If you can't manage that then get as much certification as possible. If you go the military route, you may be in for a lot of competition and may not be released as soon as you'd hoped. But to find out that go to the military section and ask those guys.

Good Luck :ok:

The Lead Sparrow
17th Aug 2008, 06:32
If you are able to go to university, then do an aeronautical engineering degree. This will help you with the pilot ground school.

It will also help if you try to get sponsored. (getting a company to pay for your commercial pilot licence.)

If you can't get sponsored, follow the now normal route of do it yourself.

Get your PPL (private pilots licence) done, cheapest place is America, but do a European PPL which is available there. If you can afford to do it in Europe do it here.

I could bore you with every stage of the long road to the dream job but the best thing is get the PPL done, or just get a few flying hours done. (every pilot started with 1 hour in his log book.) Once you get started you will meet like minded people, 1 month/1year in front of you who will pass down to you the answers you want. Don't ever feel intimidated by more experienced pilots, they all asked those questions. In fact most of us have asked the question you posted above, all be it some years ago.

pablo2973
19th Aug 2008, 13:16
Money ,thats All You Need. Sad But True.:{

Adios
20th Aug 2008, 08:18
3-4 years at Uni because it will help you through a six month ground school? I am a fan of Aero engineering degrees, but not for that reason. It can help with sponsorship, but more importantly, it gives good fallback options. If you are into IT though, pursue that as it can get you the funds needed for ATPL training much quicker than many other pursuits.

blue monday
20th Aug 2008, 08:37
Join your Air Force:ok:

black-out
20th Aug 2008, 10:56
in my opinion, if flying is what u want to do, just go and do it.
u don't need a degree to be a pilot (i could be wrong, since i'm not from the EU), althought i guess it wouldn't hurt...
as for doing a different degree (not aviation related), well... if you're really interested in being a pilot, and it is all u want to do, you're going to be thinking more about flying instead of your degree, which isn't going to help u one bit. i can understand where people come from, "don't put all your eggs in one basket", but really, in my opinion at least, u could go and become a pilot, and then if one day u decide 'this isn't for me' then go to uni. it's not the end of the world, people go to uni when they're 30, so u got plenty of time for all that...