PDA

View Full Version : A320 CFM56 cool down & elec

CONCOMBRE
16th Aug 2008, 17:59
Hi! I've 2 questions:

First of all :8: After landing we're supposed to let engines cool down for 3 min (at least), before switching eng master off.
Does this cool down period remain the same,
after full reverse use?
after idle reverse use?

And the second one :}:
Does anyone know, if any AC outlet is avalaible, in our cockpit?
(for my laptop :O)

Any clue?

Happy landings

PantLoad
16th Aug 2008, 21:08
With regard to engine cool down and thermal stabilization, if you want to get technical, you can start the timing from the time you go to idle thrust. So, let's say you pull the thrust levers to idle at 50 feet AGL on the approach and use no reverse thrust or idle reverse thrust on the landing roll out. You can start the three-minute timing from the time you come to idle at that threshold crossing point. Once you pull the thrust to idle and leave it there, it's really part of the three minute cool down. But, that's really not what is intended. What is really intended is for you to srart the clock after clearing the runway and doing your after-landing flow and checklist. As long as you have the thrust at idle (during your taxi in) and pretty much leave it there, you can keep the clock running, and, after three minutes, you can shut it down.While the CFMs and IAEs are the same in this regard, CFM adds one other phrase that IAE does not...and, that is: on the CFM engine, you can shut down the engine after only one minute of cool down "if operations require". In my opinion, under normal operations, I can see no reason to 'operationally require' a shut down after only one minute. Three minutes minimum is what you're looking for...four minutes waiting is better, etc. What is optimal is up to you, the captain. In this forum, we've beaten to death the issue of single-engine taxi, so I won't go into that here.There are, in some A-320 series aircraft, a 110 VAC, 400 Hz outlet. Some guys use that for charging their cell phones or laptops. However, please look in the fine print of the aircraft limitations. It is prohibited to use this outlet during takeoff and landing.There have been many threads in this forum about the suitability of this outlet to charge (and/or use) electronic devices from these outlets. So, again, I won't go into that, here. I've never seen anyone have any problems with their computers, etc., after using these outlets for this purpose.Fly Safe,PantLoad

Wirelock
16th Aug 2008, 21:17
normally there is a power outlet behind FO seat outboard of the top row of CB,s (the row upto z). you might need 1 of
those travel adapters, though, depending on the type of plug your laptop uses. i think the ones on board are like an american style socket

Antunes
16th Aug 2008, 22:04
Hello Concombre,

As far as I'm concerned, the 3-minute cooling down period is to allow an smoother thermal transition between flight to engines off regimes. Certainly the use of full reverse is a demanding task for an engine and should be taken into account, but I'd time 3 minutes either using reverser or not. ;)
Check FCOM3 3.03.25 p1 for more details.

There are AC outputs available in the cockpit. Most aircraft have one AC output near the 121VU CB panel (the bigger one over the jump seat). Depending on the aircraft configuration you might have other(s). Recently saw a aircraft that had one behind the place you stow the briefcase (F/O side).

Beware though - check AC output voltage and frequency before using it!

barit1
17th Aug 2008, 01:40
Beware though - check AC output voltage and frequency before using it!

I have oft used a 115v 50-60 hz. "wall wart" in a 400 hz. cockpit outlet with no ill effects - in fact it runs cooler (more efficient) than on normal household power. The reason is that the higher the frequency, the less iron is required in the transformer core.

The converse is NOT true - if the device is placarded for a 400 hz. source, it will quickly fry itself if plugged into 50 or 60 hz. :ugh:

CONCOMBRE
17th Aug 2008, 14:37
:) Many thanks to all of you, for answers.

kijangnim
17th Aug 2008, 16:25
Greetings,
on the A330 the 3 minutes cool down period is also a requirement, the explanation, is that it allows the OIL to cool, thus to prevent the oil to be
''cooked'' :8

getsetgo
9th Sep 2008, 00:18
any engine which runs at high RPM (pistons)and high temperatures(HPC+HPT)
needs cool down period, depanding upon the type of operation.
this cooling is required for uniform cooling of the various sections of the engine to minimise thermal stresses due to high RPM/TEMPERATURE ops.
during cool down oil helps to distribute the heat uniformaly around.
and also oil gives a uniform coat of layer between the parts/bearings to eliminate metal to metal contact/binding/sealing between the parts.
so that next engine start is facilitated and engine life.

oil also removes the contamination to the sump during the shutdown process and it helps the lab analizer (lab technician) to to determine engine health.

cooking oil is not used in aviation:yuk:

oils in aviation are cirtified for large range of parameters:ok: