PDA

View Full Version : Swissport to Strike

1station
16th Aug 2008, 14:36
Hearing rumours around Manchester that Swissport are balloting for strike action over pay increases!!!Has anyone heard similar and if so would it be true?

call100
16th Aug 2008, 15:42
Judging by last nights performance at BHX some of them have gone on strike early!!!

JB007
16th Aug 2008, 17:36
I heard this last night too at LGW! Does anyone have any details? The rumour I heard indicated next week sometime...

super aviator
17th Aug 2008, 06:33
At LGW:

Swissport ramp to strike 2 x days! first strike date = 25th AUG (24hrs).... followed by another 24hrs on 29th AUG.....

They are demanding a 5% pay increase...........

Though their service over the last few weeks has been pants....... 2 x loaders to offload a full 744 today.........

OPS1978
17th Aug 2008, 11:28
AT BHX

If we strike I fear they will close us down. Thats what I have heard.

JB007
17th Aug 2008, 14:56
5% is so not unreasonable in 2008...

If anyone has got the dates for other bases around the UK i'll put them on a "sticky" for any Ops/Flight Crew who may wander through this forum...

older_wiser
17th Aug 2008, 16:41
So if Swissport strike ? What airlines will be affected ?

Don't Swissport have a history of Strikes ? I remember them Striking at LHR a few years ago and not long after the company made them all redundant.

Seems to me that Swissport are a company who seem to ignore the warning signs and ride roughshod over the staff regardless !

groundhogbhx
17th Aug 2008, 23:47
There is a slight difference, Swissport at LHR were what remained of EI handling but the current Swissport UK comes from Groundstar. When the company were Groundstar they were a fair bunch, if there was a reason for a low pay offer it was explained so that everyone knew. I don't think things work like that any more, there is a high turn over in the middle management ranks and sometimes things aren't done properly by people who should know better.

I hope for the sake of all those who remain that things get sorted.

GRIZZLER
18th Aug 2008, 08:21
how will we know if it has started.....some things to look out for.

no bags laying in the road for hours....so no fear of tripping up.

no steps or belts left on the ramp for days.....with police aware stickers on.

nobody to dump baggage dollys on every stand for the paddyair inbounds every night, while you are still trying to do turnrounds.

no more buzzing to get a baggage reclaim belt number.......normaly they get theirs about 4 hours before the plane has left the other end.....even though we have bags to dump now.

hope this helps.

call100
18th Aug 2008, 14:28
Someone turning up to meet the plane. Might indicate they are not striking.
I hear that they are losing Monarch. It's costing them a fortune sitting idling on the Taxiway waiting for someone to meet the aircraft.
:ugh:

OPS1978
18th Aug 2008, 15:24
CALL 100

Your saying that monarch are leaving swissport to go where?. Servisair have told them they couldnt cope with them as did aviance maybe a 4th handling agent is in the pipeline:ok::ok:

LGWSTAR
18th Aug 2008, 17:30
Your saying that monarch are leaving swissport to go where?. Servisair have told them they couldnt cope with them as did aviance maybe a 4th handling agent is in the pipeline

The 4th handling agent will be gate aviation, they have been granted a handling license due to commence in Feb 09. Monarch are strongly tipped to leave swissport and commence handling with them as they seem to always favour the services of new handling agents due to the didicated service provided. Latest news on the strikes for next Monday and Friday are that 97% of ramp staff will definatley strike and bank holiday chaos is expected.

bruppy
18th Aug 2008, 22:59
LGWStar are you sure that the proposed action for Monday will go ahead? Rumour is that the union advised the management too late, not giving the mandatory 7 day notice period?
ALso I find it hard to believe that S/port staff would give up a double bubble day to strike & get nowt!
RE Gate Aviation we have heard the stories about a 4th H/A before & they have always proved to be false, what makes you think this will be differant?
There is not enough work at BHX to make another H/A profits.

call100
18th Aug 2008, 23:53
Your saying that monarch are leaving swissport to go where?. Servisair have told them they couldnt cope with them as did aviance maybe a 4th handling agent is in the pipelinehttp://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/thumbs.gifhttp://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/thumbs.gif

Sorry, My source didn't mention a new handling agent only that they were that fed up that they were leaving SwissPort.
I guess even Circusair would not turn down the contract if it actually was offered to them in the present climate.
Gate aviation have been offered a licence at Gatwick not BHX as far as I know.
Oh well! Throw the dice and lets wait and see. It might turn out allright in the end....:\

groundhogbhx
19th Aug 2008, 08:51
Gate might not have the license yet but one of their directors has been spending some time at BHX along with the Station Manager who will run it. I think the only question is if it will be their own license or take over someone else's??

LGWSTAR
19th Aug 2008, 09:20
Sorry for any confusion as my comments were based upon LGW not BHX. Regarding your question about the imminent strike, yes it will be going ahead at Gatwick on Monday the 25th of this month

older_wiser
19th Aug 2008, 10:34
groundhogbhx said

" There is a slight difference, Swissport at LHR were what remained of EI handling but the current Swissport UK comes from Groundstar. When the company were Groundstar they were a fair bunch, if there was a reason for a low pay offer it was explained so that everyone knew. I don't think things work like that any more, there is a high turn over in the middle management ranks and sometimes things aren't done properly by people who should know better. "

you make it sound like the company had nothing to do with past disputes and that what happened in their past was justified.
At the end of the day in the past 5 years only 1 handling company has presided over strikes and whatever the reasons and whoever the work force were they obviously feel they were or are pushed/forced into a corner by the management.

I feel for anyone in the industry as times are hard but then times are hard all round, i just hope the staff at Swissport are aware of the company's history in dealing with the aftermath of strikes.

LGWSTAR
19th Aug 2008, 11:25
i just hope the staff at Swissport are aware of the company's history in dealing with the aftermath of strikes.

mehore
19th Aug 2008, 15:11
stn/lgw will strike on monday 25/8. & 29/8. man on 27/8. & 1/9. bmx/ncl still balloting.

groundhogbhx
19th Aug 2008, 21:07
I am very well aware of the history of the company. The problems at LHR were set in motion well before what is the current Swissport UK came into being. The current management structure for UK were only put in position shortly before the shutdown, maybe a couple of months if I remember correctly, and can have no responsibility for what was going on there. Having said that they must take responsibilty for plenty that has happened since. Coming into new stations paying top rates to attract the best staff then squeezing them down to be lowest paid and hardest worked. I know all to well how they operate, I just hope the staff can get the recognition they deserve for the miracles they pull off most days. BHX in particular now seems to be a training ground with the experienced staff going one by one, everyone has their breaking point, but with the wages so low compared to the others they can't get experienced replacements. More pressure gets put on those that can, those that can't have fewer and fewer mentors to help them learn and get pushed into positions they don't have the experience for. Maybe the strike will help focus those minds that can do something to stop the rot before it is too late.

call100
19th Aug 2008, 22:23
Both sides at ACAS in the morning........

fe11
21st Aug 2008, 01:20
just heard the strike is on hold whilst a new deal is considered...
wether this is all stations or just STN??

LGWSTAR
21st Aug 2008, 08:59
LGW Strike is off and looking like being resolved however STN still want to go ahead and strike

Hollymead
21st Aug 2008, 20:47
Offer now 2 year deal , 4% on basic backdated to April and 4% on shift pay from next month , RPI job on the 2nd year .

STN ramp Ryanair side still solid for strike as quoted by LGWSTAR but looking odds on to be out voted by Easyjet and check-in .

DeltaIndiaSierraPapa
22nd Aug 2008, 18:36
They'd be daft not to snap their (managements) hands off with 4%... Most places aren't getting diddly squat!