PDA

View Full Version : What degree most suited for aviation?

nisbeat
16th Aug 2008, 14:11
im currently doing sixth form and have been advised not to put all my eggs in one basket so I believe it would be better to do university and then go onto flying.... what degree to do which would look good from an airline employer point of view?

Seat62K
16th Aug 2008, 17:18
A degree? In my day you could get on the joint BOAC/BEA course at Hamble with a couple of "A" levels (Maths and Physics):}. To be serious, it must depend on where in aviation you want to work. I should imagine that degrees in Law, Economics, IT, Human Resources Management, Mathematics etc. etc. could all be useful in the right context. For work as flight deck crew I don't know which degree subjects are preferred.

Intruder
16th Aug 2008, 17:26
Pick a degree that will support you in a non-flying job.

Assume first that you will NOT be an airline pilot. Then what do you want to do? Get an appropriate degree.

r44flyer
16th Aug 2008, 17:31
I think for 'not putting all your eggs in one basket' you might be better off looking for a degree that will give you an alternative employment should your flying not 'take off', as it were. Something you enjoy doing that will earn you a living. Don't necessarily think only along the lines of what an airline employer would like to see.

Any degree shows committment to study and a good classification (grade) will show diligence. Any science/engineering based subject is, arguably, more beneficial for a career in aviation. If you have the ability and the desire, do aeronautical engineering. It will give you the basis for an aviation related career should you not become a pilot, but will also give you a huge knowledge base on aircraft and their systems if you do, which I'm sure an airline will love.

There is a half-way-house, something along the lines of the BSc in Aviation Technology at Leeds. It's not engineering but it does give a very broad coverage of all aspects of civil aviation. It's aimed at those wishing to become professional pilots. A PPL(A) is included in the course (at your expense). However, it's doesn't give you a 'trade' as such.

One other piece of advice, depending on the course you choose and whether you want to go modular or integrated, and how much partying you want to do!, you will probably have quite a lot of 'spare' time when at uni, so consider doing your ATPLs while you're there. You'll have 3 years to slowly potter through them, which is loads of time, so not a big committment in terms of study hours per week.

overstress
16th Aug 2008, 20:20
If you want to be a pilot, my advice would be to not get a degree - get a CPL and crack on with flying. I have an engineering degree, but as I've always flown, I would be virtually unemployable as an engineer - no experience!

BerksFlyer
16th Aug 2008, 20:36
Why not just take things as they come? If you lose your medical you can always learn another trade . There are decent careers without needing a degree you know (electrician perhaps), and a degree that's never been used is almost worthless. Seeing as it would only be a backup aswell, I agree with overstress... get on with flying! If it's what you want then get on with it. If things go against you, adapt.

saman
18th Aug 2008, 09:29
Engineering - more or less any sort of Engineering but obviously the more dynamics, structures and computing content it has, then the better it will be. Then, assuming you are an aircraft nut (and if not what are you doing here?), and don't get a break into the flying side, you can still get a great career in the industry. Most of the industry jobs that touch aircraft, be they Flight test, Design or even Sales & Marketing require a good engineering knowledge.

Good luck.

c130jbloke
18th Aug 2008, 15:15
Try this: [URL="http://www.city.ac.uk/study/courses/engineering-maths/airtransport-studies-bsc1.html"] Worth a look ?

waren9
19th Aug 2008, 03:36
Many airlines look for candidates with degrees, simply because it shows an ability to learn. The degree itself is largely irrelevant.

The "average" pilot personality, I would suggest is probably drawn to the sciences, maths that sort of thing.

As has already been suggested, if its for a back up in case you dont end up a pilot, do a degree in a field you are otherwise interested in working.

SNS3Guppy
19th Aug 2008, 08:15
I often hear people suggest getting a degree outside of aviation. While this may be sound advice, it's only such if you have an inkling to do something outside avaition. Perhaps you don't. Perhaps you want to stay in aviation. There are more jobs than simply flying, if you want to stay in, and you can choose from plenty of degrees that will support your flying career.

I'm an aviator and a mechanic (engineer, to some of you). I've had more employment opportunities because of my maintenance skills and background than I have simply because I'm a pilot...having that background has furthered my career many times, and it's even saved my life. Having a degree in aviation maintenance, aircraft engineering, or something similiar isn't going to hurt you. You may never use it, or you may. Regardless of whether you're employed as an aeronautical engineer, the training, insight, and education you receive will not hold you back, it will benefit your resume, and it will help your career.

Likewise, a degree in business is a plus for one seeking leadership and management positions, and may help you in that regard with a corporation, airline or other flying employment.

Some will tell you to forget the degree and go for the flying. That's well until the bottom falls out of the flying market...much like it's doing right now...with an airline a week tanking, with pilot jobs becoming harder and harder to get, with furloughs, firings, terminations, bankrupcies...most employers outside aviation couldn't care less how many hours are in your logbook. Being an out of work pilot means very little then...you arrive on the doorstep looking for work as an individual without qualifications...because flight instructor certificates hold about the same weight in water as a ski instructor. A degree, on the other hand, is universally recognized as having value and substance...even if it has nothing to do with the employment you seek.

Accordingly, I'd strongly suggest you seek accreditation as well as your flying certification, if that's where you want to go. At a minimum, even if you don't want to take time away from your flying to go to school, take part time classes, or do an online degree...many well recognized schools and universities offer a full degree program online these days. Whatever you end up doing, don't over look the degree.

If it's just for flying, the discipline doesn't matter...a degree in underwater basket weaving is just as well. However, if you're going to put in the time and effort and expense to obtain the honors, then make it worth your while and get one you can use if the occasion should arise.

BelArgUSA
19th Aug 2008, 10:56
There are numerous valuable recommendations published in Pprune... At times however, you should realize that they are specific, and valid only for some parts of the world, individual situations (often financial), age limitations, hiring prerequisites by airlines (or corporations), medical standards (vision for some), what did I forget, in this list...?
xxx
There is a sizable divide between what is done in Europe, and North America as an example. The rest of the world varies, aligning itself with one system or the other, or a combination of both sides.
xxx
A lot of our aspiring pilot friends are quite colorful with their "location" and it is hard to tailor the recommendations to the individuals who question "how to" when all I know is that they say they are from the "third planet from the sun" or "not far from the airport". If that friend writes "license" - he is obviously an American - if he writes "licence" - that is British English, but... from where...?
xxx
In this particular case, we know that nisbeat is asking for advices that would apply for a Belgian, and that SNS3Guppy good recommendations are definitely well put for the average American pilot hopeful. I am a native of Belgium myself, but made my career in the USA, thereafter overseas, so I know a little about what applies best for one side of the Atlantic, and what would be better for the other side.
xxx
Regarding higher level education, that is after completing "secondary schools", I would definitely recommend college degrees to Americans, for many reasons, one being that many USA airlines require a degree to be considered for hire, whereas European carriers generally do not. Licences, qualifications and flight experience concepts are also quite different. A frozen ATPL and 300 hrs is the minimum requirement for some European carriers, but in USA, nowadays, do not try to apply with less than ATP, 1500/2000 hrs and maybe type rating. And with the USA airlines numerous bankruptcies... you better be qualified for another career, then a degree maybe outside aviation.
xxx
Given the circumstances, on both sides, I would recommend to start training as pilot (for a PPL) as early as student pilot minimum age is met, alongside the last year of secondary school, and start hitting the theory in aviation manuals for higher ratings, such as CPL/IR...
xxx
In North America, thanks to reduced schedules of secondary schools, kids often work at McDonald's or wash dishes. Why not try to work at a small airport flight school, filling airplane tanks, checking oil, or push airplanes into the hangar. Secondary school schedules hardly permit part-time jobs in Europe, and students have higher level of home study to complete, which rarely permits a part-time job.
xxx
Europeans, do not under-estimate your language abilities, as you often are fluent in at least 2, 3 or maybe even 4 languages, which almost always includes English. Having a good command of French, or German will definitely assist you in getting that job with Air France or Lufthansa. Americans are at a definite disadvantage with languages... Sure, tell me that English is the language of aviation... Correct, maybe within the fence of some international airports. I am glad I mastered Spanish and massacre rather good Portuguese in South America... even at times for ATC, and, in France, a little "bonjour" in French helps a lot getting a "direct to" the next FIR exit point...
xxx
Bonne chance à toi, nisbeat -
:)
Happy contrails