PDA

View Full Version : Convert a NON-JAA(ICAO) Atp to JAA ATPL

bluehawaii
15th Aug 2008, 05:22
Ladies and Gentlemen,my question is how can I convert my FAA ATP to a JAA ATPL.

BEagle
15th Aug 2008, 06:46
It depends.

Do you have a minimum of 3,000 hours flying experience as pilot of public transport aircraft over 30,000kgs MTWA on scheduled international or similar routes, including a minimum of 1,500 hours as Pilot-in-Command (Captain)?

If so, the conversion isn't too onerous. But less than that and you'll be looking at doing all 14 theory exams, for one thing....:eek:

Download http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/LASORS2008%20(Bookmarked).pdf free of charge from the UK CAA and look at section G1.5.

bluehawaii
15th Aug 2008, 17:54
Thanks BEagle, I do have over 3,000 hrs, public transport jetliners over 30,000kgs on scheduled International routes and more than 1500 hrs as Captain.

redsnail
15th Aug 2008, 19:15
This assumes you have a EU passport or a Visa relevant for living and working within the Euro zone.

You'll need a JAA Class 1 medical. If you do it at Gatwick CAA, it'll be a little cheaper than a straight initial Class 1.

If you only want to fly only G-reg aircraft, then you need to do 2 JAA exams and a check ride in the aircraft you have 500 hours or more that's observed by the CAA. Again, check the link BEagle's supplied.

If you want to fly any EU reg aircraft, you'll need to do all 14 exams + the above mentioned CAA check ride.

However, before you spend a pound or euro... take a long time reading the CAA LASORS. (link in BEagle's post).

Any way, the summary.
Medical.
Exams. Either 2 or 14.
CAA observed check ride.

bluehawaii
16th Aug 2008, 00:35
Thanks Redsnail.