PDA

View Full Version : 206 power recoveries

handbag
14th Aug 2008, 23:28
What opinions are out there regarding rolling on the throttle full open just before flaring, or during the flare when doing power recoveries from autorotation in the 206B3 - or do you use any other methods to avoid busting any limits?

Gordy
14th Aug 2008, 23:32
Roll it on fast right at the apex of the flare.

somepitch
15th Aug 2008, 01:13
its a 206, leave the throttle closed and land it! ::ok:

Um... lifting...
15th Aug 2008, 01:22
We used to do it all sorts of ways.
Flare and smoothly roll it on was preferred AFTER initiating the flare. That way, the Nr is already a bit elevated so there's not quite as much torque excitement as the engine spools up.
Then of course we'd leave it rolled off for the touchdown auto.
If the student wasn't rolling on by 50' (and it was intended that he/she recover with power), generally we'd take control and talk about it after.:=
The fun one was what I like to call "you're planning on doing a full touchdown but all of a sudden the ground doesn't look quite as good as you thought it did..." or the "Uh-oh auto...":ooh:
The throttle roll was normally initiated about 15' and you allowed Nr to bleed off to about 90% as you arrested the descent. Smoothly done, doesn't exceed any limits. Some folks would crack/pull, crack/pull, but that herky-jerky stuff has always offended my sensibilities...

rotorrookie
15th Aug 2008, 02:53
Letting the instructor do it just before you start pulling the collective/ or at the flare,not to late and not to quick is best way in my opinion, also the one who is not flying can usually open the trottle smoother than the who is at the controls then minimize the torque yaw, which is the main diffrence from the real thing.

Ascend Charlie
15th Aug 2008, 06:41
Start rolling it on around 200', fully open before the flare, then there are no surprises caused by sticky throttle cables or anything else, and Bloggs has his backside hanging out just flying it without thinking about throttles.

But I always was a cautious one.:8