PDA

View Full Version : Black air passenger awarded £4,000 after being stopped three times before flight

fireflybob
14th Aug 2008, 13:03
Black air passenger awarded £4,000 after being stopped three times before flight (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2552543/Black-air-passenger-awarded-4000-after-being-stopped-three-times-before-flight.html)

VAFFPAX
14th Aug 2008, 13:11
Bravo. I say well done on the guy.

S.

Avitor
14th Aug 2008, 13:16
So now it is officially politically incorrect to stop black passengers? :ok:

What about Asian types sporting beards and back packs? :eek:

Lauderdale
14th Aug 2008, 13:16
A large number of ICTS staff I have worked with could quite easily have been the inspiration for many a Max Mosely fantasy....

Well done to the guy!

:ok:

desk_bound
14th Aug 2008, 14:41
Difficult one to pass comment on.......so much of security is done on profiling but the ground level stuff is left to security staff and check in staff on not much above minimum wage. Who know nothing of what Special Branch are up to or where the current danger is comming from. I admit that security staff can be a little "jobs worth" sometimes and the way this story reads a little excessive, but we do not know both sides of the picture.......just the newspaper( and no doubt the pilot avoided the school too!) So lets just leave this one at 50/50. ............... Last time I went though STN,dressed in civvies, carrying Flight Bag with Crew tag and ID round my neck on way to catch FR flight as paying pax I was stopped 3 times ................... security have a job to do, some do it well others do not like in any job.

MarkD
14th Aug 2008, 15:14
except if the same person is being checked three times, it means given the man-hours used one third of the people who could be checked are being checked. This is not a question of political correctness but poor operation of a security regime.

groundbum
14th Aug 2008, 15:23
there was a newspaper story about how a black kid kept getting stopped in his parents car. They were a well off family and had some snazzy volvo. Cops always figured their 18 year old son was a joyrider who'd nicked the car. Called intelligence led policing, most times when they stop a black kid out at night in a nice car there's an issue.

Anyway, the family put a pair of babyseats in the back, and the kid wasn't stopped anymore! Police figured any cool kid wouldn't be driving around with baby seats!

ei1
14th Aug 2008, 15:31
since when do private security people have the right to search people land-side before they have even checked-in?

i'd be annoyed to loose my place in a check-in queue while some guys decides to a random search.

PAXboy
14th Aug 2008, 19:09
You might well be annoyed ei1, as would any of us, but if you protest? You will not be returning to the queue any time soon. That is the reality of modern air travel. So - I agree with you (and welcome aboard this high quality cabin :E)

James 1077
14th Aug 2008, 22:00
I didn't realise that I could sue for being singled out - last time I flew out of the US on my British passport I got stopped and searched a total of 5 times between checking in and getting on the aeroplane.

Every time since then I've used my Kiwi passport and have been absolutely fine (although my wife has had the special UK passport treatment a couple of times as she doesn't have a Kiwi passport yet).

Now I just try and avoid the place altogether! :}

PaperTiger
15th Aug 2008, 14:58
An ICTS spokesman strongly denied racism but said the company would not comment due to security considerations.Security bo11ocks. Would not comment but denied racism. How, sign language ?