PDA

View Full Version : What qualifications are expected to be held by an FI?

Tompy62
14th Aug 2008, 13:02
Apart from the minimum requirements for obtaining an FI rating I was just wondering whether you would be penalised for not having an IMC, ME or IR rating. I know of a few instructors that have not had ME and IR whilst instructing at PPL(A) level but all have had an IMC. Would job prospects be reduced by not holding an IMC?

The reason I ask is that at present I hold just my PPL and am currently buidling experience towards the CPL next year after completing ATPL groundschool. My aim is to gain the FI and begin to teach PPL(A) and have been advised by many people not to get an IMC as one day I aim to do the ME/IR and move into commercial flying thus making the IMC redundant as it were.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated in terms of your experiences/schools requirements whilst I sit here watching large thunderstorm brew outside the window 2 hours before im supposed to be flying:ugh:

Duchess_Driver
14th Aug 2008, 14:05
.....to teach it.

If you want to instruct to basic PPL level then the IMC rating is not required and probably would not hinder your chances of employment too much from what's been said on here.

My ME/IR (JAA) is currently lapsed and has caused me no difficulties work wise whatsoever. If I were to move on to CPL or CRI(ME) or IR teaching then it would probably be advantageous to revalidate the IR and ME ratings.

As for the IMC - do it. Regardless of whether you need it for employment or not it will improve your understanding of flying and also improve your flying skills (keeping within tolerances etc.....). Those who say it's redundant are 4 years too early.....and it will help you when you come to do the IR anyway.

HTH

Duchess

TheOddOne
15th Aug 2008, 17:30
As for the IMC - do it. Regardless of whether you need it for employment or not it will improve your understanding of flying and also improve your flying skills (keeping within tolerances etc.....).

Duchess,
Couldn't agree more. Although I did my initial IMC course many years ago it felt like doing aspects of the PPL again - only properly. This was especially so with regard to Met and Planning.

You've got to do hours to get to the CPL and FI requirement - why not use them doing something useful rather than just boring holes in the sky in a rental?

Unlike Duchess, I've never done the IR but I'm told that having done the IMC makes transition to the IR requirements that much easier.

I also find the IMC useful as an instructor; there are times when the wx in the training area is suitable for the exercise but getting there is a bit marginal on pure VMC. There are arguments to and fro on other threads on this subject, have a search, but I vote FOR the usefulness of the rating for an instructor, even though the law doesn't require it.

Go for it. As Duchess says, the demise of the IMC is well over-stated and at least 4 years away. Methinks it'll be around for many years to come.

Cheers,
TheOddOne

Whopity
23rd Aug 2008, 11:59
If you are doing a CPL there is little point doing an IMC rating first as you will get no credit for it. The CPL Course includes 10 hours IF which is fully creditable towards the IMC rating which you can easily finish once you complete the CPL Course.

Tompy62
27th Aug 2008, 09:21
Many thanks for all your replies and they do echo the comments I have received from various other people that I have asked. I was however unaware that the instrument flight during a CPL could be used towards gaining the IMC rating afterwards. That is certainly something i shall look into as it would ease some of the financial worry at the present time. Once again many thanks for you views and advise and happy flying :ok: