PDA

View Full Version : Q-code calculations

ShotOver
14th Aug 2008, 11:26
Ok. Sorry if it's been discussed. I've looked through pages of threads, and seached....but come up with nothing.

I'm studying for my Met exam, and need help with the calculations for the various Qxx's. I'm just not 'getting' some of the relationships. Yes, I know the definitions, but that doesn't explain the calculations needed to pass the tests.

Any documents out there that put 'in one place' the various QNH/QFF/QFE calculation questions that one can expect AND an example of how to solve them?

Thanks

Spit-Fire
16th Aug 2008, 17:43
Don't take this the wrong way but if you understand the meanings then it shouldn't be too much of a problem. I'd purchase an Oxford Aviation Meteorology disc, it helped me over the whole subject. Failing that then purchase Bristol GS on-line question bank and look through some altimetry questions or simply buy a book on altimetry as this is the area you find difficult

Shunter
16th Aug 2008, 21:24
QNH/QFE is easy. 27ft per mb, unless stated otherwise.

QNH/QFF can tend to bend the mind a little, and its presence in the exams is stupid because you will NEVER need to deal with QFF.

The way to remember it is with this little table:

........High Low
Hot.....H.... F
Cold... F.... H

So if you're hot and high, qnH is higher. If you're hot and low, qfF is higher etc.... QFF is QFE reduced to MSL using actual conditions. QNH is QFE reduced to sea level using ISA (ie. 1mb/30ft).