PDA

View Full Version : Helicopter nearly hits my house! shock!!

Heathen_Sol
14th Aug 2008, 09:50
I know this is a pointless post, what with world war III just around the corner [Terrorism a nice ruse so that Russia and China can get ready to take over the world...but thats a different topic] but did any flyboys try to land a Chinook helicopter on my house in a small village in Ayrshire last night at 3:30?

I thought it was the Russians invading!

Jackonicko
14th Aug 2008, 10:48
Flying Officer Wales off course en route to Balmoral, perhaps?

I know, I know, where did I put my coat?

Airborne Aircrew
14th Aug 2008, 11:23
Terrorism a nice ruse so that Russia and China can get ready to take over the world...but thats a different topic

Tin foil hat anyone? :eek:

taxydual
14th Aug 2008, 14:15
Did you leave the landing light on, perchance?

airborne_artist
14th Aug 2008, 14:20
TaxyD - one of the oldest, but it still made me laugh :ok:

minigundiplomat
14th Aug 2008, 17:34
Could have been worse, could have been a hijacked United Airlines 757. Im sure you'll live.

Thank you for being understanding. Im sure Chinooks are a rare-ish sight in Scotland. A certain resident of Upton Grey has this everynight, to the point her house fell down and her brain fell out. Im pretty sure thats what her claims direct lawyer said when we paid for her new fitted kitchen.

Good night to you, and enjoy the fact you live in a beautiful part of the world. You can't blame us for wanting to share it occasionally.

Bigears
14th Aug 2008, 19:37
I'm also in Ayrshire and am sorry to say I didn't hear or see them :{
Military aircraft welcome here any time of day or night :ok:

serf
14th Aug 2008, 20:02
Not so rare MGD, in fact quite common and no longer welcome to fly low level at EG

minigundiplomat
14th Aug 2008, 20:36
Not so rare MGD, in fact quite common and no longer welcome to fly low level at EG

I take it next time there is a flood, foot and mouth outbreak, heavy snow, natural or manmade disaster of some form, missing climber etc etc etc, that our phone won't ring - being unwelcome as we are.

No, thought so.

Ranger 1
14th Aug 2008, 22:04
Clearly not used to low flying stuff is Heathen_Sol where I live on the Mendip Hills we are currently missing the Chinooks, Sea Kings & Hercs, flying directly over the house, at night.
The only fast jet the Missus saw the other day was a Hawk (she is well trained in aircraft ID) which she mentioned was something she had not seen for ages.
Hopefully when the some of our forces retun we will see some more low flying activity.
Cheers
Ranger 1:ok:

NGR: ST 551496

ACW599
14th Aug 2008, 22:39
Chinook! Luxury! All we ever see in our little confined area are Squirrels and Griffins. Would love to see a Chinook or Merlin in here again -- and yes, I do know they're a bit busy elsewhere.

Miss you though.

The NGR is SJ 328150 and EGOS Ops are on Extn 7227 (hint).

scarecrow450
15th Aug 2008, 00:35
But try getting any sense out of ext 7227 no chance. They'll be night flying again next week.:ugh: But only till 0200, not this 0330 landing on houses !!

Out Of Trim
15th Aug 2008, 07:06
Heathen Sol

I thought it was the Russians invading!

No, You're all right the Ruskies don't have Chinooks -

Wokka Wokka Wokka - The sound of Freedom ha :}:E

Heathen_Sol
15th Aug 2008, 09:56
Ok, the Russians do not have Chinook but I bet a KA-50 is loud!
I bet louder still would be Mi-26 'Halo'!

Or what about Mil (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mil_Moscow_Helicopter_Plant) Mi-12 with the excellent name 'Homer', what an ugly beast!

Anyway, thanks for your replies...It has been fun reading them.

I was brought up in the 80's with the threat of Ivan arriving by nukes or sneak invasion like in that cheesy American film 'Red Dawn'. Its no wonder I am a bit paranoid!