PDA

View Full Version : QANTAS engine problem

Desertia
14th Aug 2008, 08:24
I would not like a job in QANTAS' PR or corporate communications department right now. They must have pulled most of their hair out :)

A Qantas Airways flight landed safely after a problem with one of its engines on a flight from Australia to New Zealand, the company said, the latest in a series of mechanical incidents for the airline.

One of four engines on a Boeing 747-300 from Melbourne was "reduced to idle" speed while the airplane approached Auckland Airport on Wednesday night, Qantas spokeswoman Holly Williams said.

However, the pilot managed to land the aircraft with 219 passengers and 16 crew safely, she said.

CargoMatatu
14th Aug 2008, 08:36
Sounds like a non-event to me:ugh:

spierpoint jones
14th Aug 2008, 08:44
Non event exactly.....

jones:ok:

Pontius
14th Aug 2008, 09:39
One of four engines on a Boeing 747-300 from Melbourne was "reduced to idle" speed while the airplane approached Auckland Airport

Strewth!! Maybe these press people know a lot more about this flying lark than me. I know I haven't got the experience on the 744 that many people have but I find that I have to "reduce to idle" speed all four of my engines during an approach, otherwise I'd never get out of the friggin' Troposphere (or wherever it is I live) and then wouldn't be able to stop the beast on the ground. :rolleyes:

Now, the QANTAS product is pretty bloody average and some of their 767s either need turning into Tooheys cans or at least updating to get them into the 1970s with their interiors but this latest rash of QANTAS bashing is just getting REALLY stupid. I was hoping the press would concentrate a bit more of the goings-on in China and calm down a bit with this stupidity in reporting every little decision the guys are making Down Under. Perhaps we could help to stop fanning the flames by posting all these reports (not having a personal 'go', Desertia, but just trying to think how we can help quell the press paranoia).

And, no, I don't fly for QANTAS and never have. Yes, I'm a professional pilot, yes, I fly with QANTAS a lot, no I don't own shares in the Company or have any other interests (apart from getting their 767s updated or putting a 330 on my regular route :ok:)

Marcel_MPH
14th Aug 2008, 10:17
This is indeed becoming interesting. Lately almost every operation that differs slightly from standard is reported as being an event or incident especially in case of QF. My advice: stop crying about these kind of things...

DutchOps.com - Aviation Photography and Aircraft Information Database... (http://www.DutchOps.com)