PDA

View Full Version : South Africa - instructor work and salaries

Bok4life
14th Aug 2008, 00:18
Hi there, I am currently a student in New Zealand completing my CPL with a MEIR in September and looking to head back to South Africa next year.
Does any know what the average entry salaries are for instructors in South Africa, and where the best places are to ask around over there regarding potential employment? :)

WhinerLiner
14th Aug 2008, 05:47
The salaries are poor, as a consequency jobs are freely available

AvEnthusiast
14th Aug 2008, 10:30
Are you sure jobs are available?

Jedi Pirate
15th Aug 2008, 05:01
jobs are available, go look at www.avcom.co.za (http://www.avcom.co.za) under the job centre and see how many places are crying for instructors...

average pay for a GrIII instructor is about R125/hr depending on the school. Some schools also include a basic salary as well. Typically you can expect to do 60-90 hrs(flying/sim/briefing) per month if emplyed full-time.

The best places to look would be grand central, wonderboom,lanseria and rand in the gauteng area as they each have 2 or 3 large schools. If you want to fly at the coast then Port Elizabeth,George and Virginia have a few schools as well.

hope that helps

Bok4life
15th Aug 2008, 05:11
Thanks Jedi.
Exactly what I was after, wanted to know an average salary per month, just to see if you can survive over there :-)

I know the school in George is run by two SAA A340 Training Captains, can't hurt to get to know people like that.

Regards

Romeo E.T.
15th Aug 2008, 15:37
43AirSchool has also been advertising for instructors contiuously in the Sunday paper for a few weeks now.
Also they have a very proffesional outfit with good FDP regs, even for instructors, and a well structured ops in place.

If I was going to do "full-time" instruction that would my first choice.
I am sure that their salaries are beter than the industry average as well.

TooBadSoSad
16th Aug 2008, 17:19
Bok4Life, Both 43 Air School (Pilot Training and Flying School South Africa (http://www.43airschool.co.za)) and SAFTA (South African Flight Training Academy - Home (http://www.safta.co.za)) offer a JAR-FCL instructor course which is about 6 to 8 weeks long and thereafter you will also have a SAQA assessors rating.

Instructors at the larger schools earn from around R150 per hour and upwards, and fly around 80 hours per month on average.

Some aspirant instructors miss the big picture when they worry more about the pay than the type of school they will be flying for. If you are flying 80 hours per month in decent aircraft and for a professional organisation then you will soon be well on your way to the right seat of a multi-crew aircraft and then into an airline where a few seniority positions can make a year's instructor's pay look like spare change.

PM me if you need more info.

eikido
17th Aug 2008, 07:38
But you won't up your PIC as an instructor, right?
Isn't that quiet important?

Also, how much do you think you will up your ME hours?

What do you guys know about APTRAC school?
I'm considering starting pilot school there and might work as an instructor there. Good instructor job at APTRAC?

Regards
Eikido

Ladyloo
17th Aug 2008, 21:55
hey there, just to answer that question..as an instructor most of your time is logged as PIC. Remember the student is still under training and the flight is considered "dual" in the logbook.. Instruction is a fantastic way of getting those PIC hours to where you need them to be..hope that helps..

If you are fortunate enough to be able to do multi-engine instruction, then go for it. Your time will completely depend on demand at the time twin students = twin hours

Unfortunately dont have any information about APTRAC for you though.What I would recommend is that you thoroughly research all the schools that you are interested in before making the decision..your training is by far the most important part in your aviation career so choose wisely!