PDA

View Full Version : Airfields in Scotland? i need one

eugegall
13th Aug 2008, 19:00
Hey Guys,

I will be staying in the Cairngorm Hotel in Aviemore next month. I will be flying myself up there from Fairoaks.

Does anybody know of the closest airport i can land in?

thanks

kitekruncher
13th Aug 2008, 19:20
Feshie?

Feshiebridge Airfield (http://ukga.com/airfield/feshiebridge)

frontlefthamster
13th Aug 2008, 19:46
What are you flying? Is Aboyne an option?

MIKECR
13th Aug 2008, 21:21
Feshie is definitely the nearest airfield, its only a couple of miles out of Aviemore. Whether you get permision to use it however may be a problem. Like many gliding sites, the planning permission is possibly for 'gliding business only'. Aboyne is exactly the same, and is also a significant journey to Aviemore by car. Its the other side of the Cairngorms!

The nearest GA hubs, belive it or not, would be either Perth or Inverness. Both would be roughly an hour by car(or 40 mins by train) to Aviemore.

Unless you can get Feshie, your options are fairly limited. Try here - Cairngorm Gliding Club (http://www.gliding.org/) for contact details for Feshie.

Will88
13th Aug 2008, 21:29
Feshie is the closest, it's about 20 minutes from that hotel - lovely grass strip, somewhere in the region of 800M. You'd need to get permission from the gliding club who operate from there, they're a relatively friendly bunch so probably wouldn't have any probs!

Invereness is the closest "large" airport, 1800M, radar, ILS, blah blah blah. About an hour away by road...

Aboyne is bloody miles away!

NJTCF
13th Aug 2008, 21:32
Blair Atholl is on the A9 Alot Nearer Than Perth. North of Pitlochry. I Know a Cessna 185 Operates From there or Used To. Will Be PPR. If Not Private. Thou Feshie Would Be Best:ok:. Then Inverness.

tuscan
14th Aug 2008, 10:05
Weathers been minging and Feshie is grass, I would go for Inverness.
Good rail and bus links to Inverness city centre but you will need a taxi out to airfield, and only 45 mins from your hotel to EGPE.

The train station is spitting distance from your hotel.

Feshie to hotel about 15 mins by taxi, no buses.

Theres quite often someone knocking about at Highland Flying School who could nip you into town.

mark sicknote
14th Aug 2008, 10:10
Tuscan I agree.

It's worth using Inverness just to meet the gang at Highland. I popped in there recently inquiring about their 172 and ended up staying 45 min with offers of coffee and good banter.

Worth a visit..esp if weather i poor.

Best,

Sicknote:ok: