PDA

View Full Version : AOPA Aerobatic Course

U220
13th Aug 2008, 15:57
Hello all

Anyone any experience with schools for the above course? Looked at AOPA website and there is a big list. Would like to hear from anyone who has done the course. Thanks :rolleyes:

hugh flung_dung
13th Aug 2008, 17:34
By asking on this forum you're more likely to get answers from people (like me) who teach the course, and we'll probably all say that our club/school is the best place to come :ok: The "private flying" forum may give the info that you want.

However, when making your decision you need to choose:

an airfield with lots of open airspace around it and short taxi times,
an aircraft with a good climb rate, preferably fully aerobatic (stressed for +6/-3g) and with some inverted capability. It must be easy to fly. Ideally you should be able to wear parachutes and to stand a chance of getting-out if needed (although this is highly unlikely).
a school/club which encourages you to fly the aircraft solo
an instructor who's been teaching aeros for a long time.The Bulldog at Old Sarum ticks all those boxes, but it's quite a long way from Northern Ireland.

HFD

foxmoth
13th Aug 2008, 22:31
I would agree with much of HFDs post apart from It must be easy to fly. , You do not want too easy an aircraft for a couple of reasons, first, if you learn on an aircraft that is too easy to fly then you do not learn some things very well such as energy management and some of the basic control coordination. Secondly, if you learn on an easy to fly aero machine, then go on to something less capable, maybe because that is all that is available locally, then you can have problems. I would agree though that the Bulldog is a good starting machine.

U220
14th Aug 2008, 11:04
Thanks for the info,

I just completed an F/I course and want to build my confidence in unusual attitudes and spins as well as break up the routine of straight and level. I will take on board all your points. Again Thanks very much.

U220
14th Aug 2008, 11:25
Can you give me a contact name and number for Old Sarum? Thanks HFD

foxmoth
14th Aug 2008, 11:58
These guys also come highly recommended!
Ultimate High - Flying School, Air Displays and corporate entertainment (http://www.ultimatehigh.co.uk/) :ok:

hugh flung_dung
14th Aug 2008, 12:00
As an FI, once you're reasonably proficient at Aeros you can differentiate yourself by doing the short course to get the "no aeros" restriction removed from your FI rating. If you're self-employed and have a reasonable accountant the course may even be regarded as a business expense (but don't take my word for that).

Send me a PM and I can provide any info you need about training at Old Sarum.:O

HFD